Why Do DVD's Still Exist? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 29th, 2021, 04:48 AM   #1
Wrangler

Why Do DVD's Still Exist?

Made me think about some of the discussions here. Also reminded me of myself - when I moved to my rural home in 2006 there was no cable TV, so I began building a big DVD library. Eventually built a floor-to-celing shelf unit which ended up being filled with over 1000 DVD's.

Finished ripping them all to a media server by around 2014, but they still sit on the shelves gathering dust. Have been meaning to take the shelves down put them in boxes in the attic.

"While pop psychology would suggest that older generations are clinging to their love of the physical disc, those over the age of 60 make up a smaller proportion of the disc-watching population than their share of the total US population. Instead, those aged 25 to 39 are more likely than most to watch DVDs, according to the MPAA. And they’re often collectors, locked into building out their collections."

https://www.wired.com/story/why-do-dvds-exist/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2021, 03:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Why Do DVD's Still Exist?

Better video quality than xHamster ?

Ron

ps "wink"
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2021, 07:48 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm still creating them for three long term clients who have rejected any form of solid state or streaming media. On the other hand the Bluray burner and disks I bought had not a single burn - totally unwanted. Retail sales have gone - but nowadays, popularity is no guarantee of continuation.

Annoyingly - my favourite DSLRs - Pentax - (because of a lens collection) are now on the way out. Sigma don't make lenses any more, so I guess I have to buy new cameras next time I need a new lens!

Progress?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2021, 02:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

One advantage of DVDs are the extras like the commentary, not so useful for your average viewer, but if you're a geek, a media student or a filmmaker it's a point of interest.

Sigma do still make lenses, although perhaps not for film DSLRs, but your old lenses may be an appreciating asset these days for those wanting the vintage look. Sigma now also make a cinema range https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cine-lenses
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2021, 07:52 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
On the other hand the Bluray burner and disks I bought had not a single burn - totally unwanted.
Ha, ha, same here. I ended up throwing away a bunch of brand new Blu-ray disks and a band new Sony burner that was still in the shrink wrapped box when I moved a few year ago. Total waste.
Old December 6th, 2021, 08:52 AM   #6
Wrangler

Streaming requires a good, fast connection - not available everywhere, and generally not low cost.

DVD and Blu-Ray are mainly liked by the older crowd, those not tethered to a smart phone 24 hours a day. That is mainly people over 40 who appreciate large screen viewing. Content creators are driving the change, streaming costs them less and cuts out much of the distribution chain (the ma and pa rental stores, replication services, record stores, etc. ) Just subscribe to 6 or 7 of the streaming services (for a few hundred a month) and you can find most stuff - at least for a while, until it is taken down.

DVD/Blu-Ray players are simple to operate compared to PCs (or VCRs for that matter).

And they do provide menu navigation for those who want it. (but some media authors abuse the capability).

Anything on the web or a memory stick can be erased, taken down, or just disappear.

Memory sticks are small and easy to lose/misplace

DVD/BD library cases can provide dust cover information and easy visual search.

DVD/BDs work even if you are if you are "off the grid."

Blu-Ray is great and better than DVD, but not sufficiently better than DVD on legacy TV sets (sets bought before the HD era) to have knocked DVD out. And the price point difference on prerecorded media didn't help.
Old December 6th, 2021, 11:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Speaking of DSLR's I need to sell my canon t3i As I'm awaiting delivery of a Samsung s21 Ultra. reviews have it down as a good alternative. And it fits my pocket better.
Old December 6th, 2021, 08:44 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
DVD and Blu-Ray are mainly liked by the older crowd, those not tethered to a smart phone 24 hours a day. That is mainly people over 40 who appreciate large screen viewing
Did you read the article? The authors do not agree with you on this. :)

"It all begs the question: Why do DVDs and Blu-rays still exist? And why does Technicolor expect to print and ship 750 million discs this year? The answer is simple: Some people still buy them—though not necessarily who you’d think. While pop psychology would suggest that older generations are clinging to their love of the physical disc, those over the age of 60 make up a smaller proportion of the disc-watching population than their share of the total US population. Instead, those aged 25 to 39 are more likely than most to watch DVDs, according to the MPAA. And they’re often collectors, locked into building out their collections."
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2021, 07:24 PM   #9
Major Player

In terms of my work, there are still people who just plain prefer discs. I don't blame them. Plus I usually put extras on DVDs such as picture galleries and other videos. The part I don't get is that DVDs outsell Blu Rays 10 to 1 for me. It's nuts.

As for my personal movie collection, I buy physical discs because I have a bad feeling that streaming services can "take it away" at any time, or put ads on it, or whatever, and I want to have physical discs so I can view movies on my own terms.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2021, 04:31 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I suspect price is a big factor in why DVDs sell in higher numbers than Blu Ray. Also, DVDs uprezed to HD by the player or the TV don't look bad.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2021, 05:32 AM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

DVDs play in those video disc player gadget things for absolute sure, but BluRay plays in only some of them. The DVD, however, definitely works.

There is a quantum level of improvement between VHS and DVD, but not between DVD and Blu-ray.

DVDs simply work good enough.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2021, 07:51 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
There is a quantum level of improvement between VHS and DVD, but not between DVD and Blu-ray.
VHS nominally 240 horizontal line resolution, (~40 lines color resolution) Nominally 320x480 pixels Maybe 40 dB S/N.
Broadcast signal 320 lines resolution, Nominally 430x480 pixels.
S-VHS/Hi8 Nominally 400 line resolution. (~40 lines color resolution) Nominally 520x480 pixels
DVD 500 line resolution (Nominally 125 lines color resolution) Nominally 720x480 pixels
HD BD Nominally 1440 line resolution (350 lines color resolution) Nominally 1920x1080 pixels)

IMO The big differences in VHS vs DVD and DVD vs BD in terms of image quality were color and noise performance. While nominal (B&W) resolution and pixel change improvement ratios were comparable, the changes in color performance and noise were dramatic for VHS to DVD, not so dramatic for DVD to BD, especially with the good upscaling found in most DVD and BD players and HD sets. At normal home viewing distances and screen sizes the differences are not as obvious except in side-by-side comparisons.

The color under recording system used for VHS was a killer of quality.
Old December 10th, 2021, 04:44 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I think once we got to decent TV sets at home with DVD resolution, that became enough for most people and improvements since then are questionable. The TV upscales, or the broadcaster upscales to HD and an awful lot of people never notice. On my TV ch 1 is BBC SD and ch 101 is BBC in HD. My Tv at home never sits on 101 unless I select it - the family are quite happy with the low channels in SD. My local BBC station is still SD for their news and local opted out stuff - nobody ever complains.

I just sent off a client project with a link to the HD file. The client has just asked for a 2 DVDs instead. That's fine.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2021, 06:06 AM   #14
Equal Opportunity Offender

Similarly, 4K broadcasting isn't going to happen terribly quickly (certainly in Australia) as free-to-air stations have only recently upgraded to HD and many channels are still on SD resolution. The TV stations don't have money for new cameras and one of the main commercial broadcasters are still using 13 year old cameras for their news production.

Also, advertisers aren't about to pay more just because their ad is playing in 4K. Eyeballs are still eyeballs.

Technology sure is fun! :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2021, 08:39 AM   #15
Wrangler

I suspect the main drivers for 4K video will be sports broadcasting and adult entertainment.

Wedding photos, especially of the moms, use soft focus for a reason.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion