Misc. Open DV from 2006 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #61
Major Player

Sony DSR-400

Sorry to post this here, but it made the most sense... Has anyone used this camera, i couldn't find much information on it on the web. Its strictly DVCAM and i'm wondering if any pro shooters have spent some time with this, and what their verdict is. My company is looking to acquire a few of these for a specific job..Thanks
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #62
Major Player

Tom Green Gets Wired for HBO

www.tomgreen.com has a fun video clip that shows what a HBO crew is doing to ready his house for an upcoming special. Good look at a tricked Panny and lots of lighting with kinos and chinese laterns. Its the third seqment the home page channel and is called 'House Tour". I thought it was lots of fun.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #63
Major Player

A DVi Fun Fact: Taxi Trunk

"Two Pelican 1620 cases plus two Pelican 1510 cases can fit in the standard American taxi trunk." This has been a DVi Fun Fact.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #64
Tourist

streaming HD video over 802.11n

I am interested in streaming video (mostly HD) over wireless networks (probably 802.11n). I have been playing around with sample videos from the Microsoft, and Apple web sites, using vlc, quicktime, and WMP. Any suggestions on other things to try, or feedback based on previous experiences?

thanks,

Shawn

www.technoblogy.com
Shawn Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #65
Regular Crew

I cant write back to MiniDV.help!

guys,I wanted to record some edited footage from AP 2.0 to VX2100 in order to watch it on tv.the process of recording goes well when I "export to tape",but there is nothing on the tape afterwards.Its blank!whats the matter?
Thank you
Denis Potasnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #66
New Boot

Creating 2.35:1 footage in post?

Hi,

I have a DVX100A. I want to shoot footage with this and trim it down to 2.35:1 in post, and have the black bars dissappear as much as possible when viewed on a widescreen. I am using Adobe Premiere Pro 2 for this.
Now I am going to get myself a screen overlay to give myself a basis to guide myself by on the LCD. How do I go about cropping the footage in Adobe Premiere Pro 2 so that it will still display properly on widescreens?
Matthew J Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 02:34 AM   #67
New Boot

Top five Finalist.....Gnome film

Hi

I posted my film on here a while ago. And it has just been selected in an Australian Film competition.

Voting is now held to find the winning film. My film Gnome is on there.

please visit
http://www.youthweek.com/talent_comp...hootit_jnr.asp
Dylan Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Ratio Question

I'm doing a short low-budget TV commercial and this will be my first time using an HD camera (Z1). Since the commercial will need to work on SD TV's, do I shoot my piece using 4:3 with the HD cam? Does that even work?

I'm shooting with HD because of the better quality image, but am unsure how the 16:9 ratio will translate when I dump the final product on to a beta cam tape and then the spot airs. I don't want a letterbox effect or to have anything cropped out.

This probably sounds like a pretty ridiculous question to those that have been working with HD, but while I have been shooting video for some time, I am new to producing stuff for TV and so new to HD that I haven't even used a camera yet. If someone could give me the techy info so I could understand it that would be great. I did a search, but didn't find anything specifically related to my question.

Thanks in advance.
Shane Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #69
New Boot

Chroma Greenscreen Backdrop 180 degree C-Shape

Howdy fellow shooters-
I work as a PA at MTV and we shoot a show called ADD BIO-
You can check it out at mtv.com/overdrive. (only on a PC, sorry Macs)

With the green screen set-up we have, we need to be able to get
some side profile shots while simultaniously shooting our main frontal camera angle.

We've previously been using 4 C-Stands to make a half-ass (pardon the french) C shape that we drape the green screen over. Which causes wrinkles and uneveness all over because of the knuckles and loose hanging material, which makes it impossible to light.

Possible solutions? Bendable C-shape custom piping that could attach atop the C-Stands?

Buy the foam greenscreen by the yard and tape it up using the C-stands as a frame?

We are also trying to make stuff work without spending too much $$-
Unfortunately MTV doesn't drop thousands of dollars into production, you are supposed to be resourceful and creative to find ways to get what you need.

Any good ideas appreciated or any product websites/links would be helpful.

Rock and Roll-
Toby Leddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #70
Inner Circle

A true Story, The Matrix camera.

A well connected mate of mine, had a friend call him from Sydney, about a camera that was used in filming the highway sequence of the second Matrix movie, that a guy not to far away was willing to sell for $5KAU. I deduced that the only digital cameras used in the sequence were the slow motion ones, most likely a Phantom, yes, you can imagine, they are worth heaps new or secondhand. Unfortunately my friend died of cancer :(. Now e don't know who the seller, or the person in Sydney, was.

Very sad, but here is a tribute to my friend, Ian Hamilton Mclaren (yes of those families) world class chef to royalty and presidents, ex-special forces, one of the founding stock brokers at the Stock Exchange in Sydney, and a list of other extraordinary achievements these well connected army types tend to accumulate.

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #71
Major Player

Accurate tracking at full zoom

My model specific question didn't yield any results, so let me ask a more general question:

I was shooting some practice footage over the weekend of an aerobatic plane performing an aerobatic sequence. The distance involved means you have to shoot at nearly full zoom, and the aircraft can be hard to follow in the viewfinder. What techniques do people use for tracking action like this? I was thinking a wireframe viewfinder similar to a speedfinder on the Graphlex. Google didn't turn up anything useful so I may have to make my own, or suggestions?
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:32 AM   #72
New Boot

Anyone know a good shouldercam around 500$ and below?

I'm looking for a camera around 500$ that i can use for making movies both for school projects and my own. It wont be used for vacations and stuff like that so size isn't a big concern, as long as you can use batteries and mount it on a tripod and have manual controls over focus and other things without having to paus in the middle of a scene.

I've been looking at all kinds of options like analog cameras, currently looking at a JVC Newvicon GX-?? (haven't gotten the info on exact type yet) which is older then i am but is sturdy and prefect for my needs besides for the limited VHS medium, which i'm dicussing here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...388#post491388

All help witht he above is very appreciated.

My only other option is a Panasonic GS-70-180 which is in my price range, but it isn't a shoulder cam. Most shouldercams are out of my pricerange sadly.
Dan Bergqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM   #73
New Boot

Your thoughts on these camcorders?

I've been looking around for cameras and come up with a few that i've heard and read good things about, now i want to know what you people here think about them.

They are listed in the order i have understood them to be quality-wise

Panasonic GS-180
JVC GR-DF540
Sony DCR-HC44
JVC GR-GZ20
Sanyo Xacti C6 <-- only here because it's cool and i don't know how it performs

I'm looking for the camera which has the highest quality video and most manual control (focus ring etc). Size or portability is not of any concern to me. All off these cameras are in my price range according to swedish market prices; Which are roughly in the 300-500$ USD range. Otherwise any thoughts or opinions on any of the cameras are greatly appreciated.
Dan Bergqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 03:02 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Deck starts then stops

Hi, I'm logging miniDV tapes on a JVC BR-DV3000 deck and when I play the tape it plays for about a second then stops on its own. I've tried a couple different tapes and its only the tapes that I'm logging. They're JVC miniDV 60 ME tapes. I don't know what camera they were shot with. I've put it other tapes today and they work, so there's something specific about that particular tape it seems like. Any ideas? Thanks!
Cal
Cal Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM   #75
New Boot

Close Captioning

I have a thirty minute infomercial that will air on local televisions.
1.) Do I have to have it Closed Captioned?
2.) If so.. then how? where should I go? Cost etc...

Thanks
Mike Russell

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion