DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   For you computer helpers (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/59092-you-computer-helpers.html)

Steven Julien January 25th, 2006 11:27 AM

For you computer helpers

I have a HP Pavillion dv1000 laptop with HD Widescreen. The funny thing is when I view trailers or clips online displayed 1280 x 768, it gets all choppy and then stops. I know my processor isnt so hot and the graphics card is integrated, but whats the point in having this screen if you can't get the full use. What sort of upgrades would I need to make?

Thanks,
Steven

Processor

* Processor manufacturer
* Intel

* Processor type
* Pentium M

* Clock speed
* 1.5 GHz

* Core voltage technology
* Ultra Low Voltage (ULV)

Mainboard

* Chipset type
* Intel 855GM

* Data bus speed
* 400 MHz

RAM

* RAM installed size
* 512 MB

* Max supported RAM
* 2 GB

* RAM Technology
* SDRAM-266 MHz

* Memory specification compliance
* DDR266/PC2100

Display (Projector)

* Display (projector) diagonal size
* 14 in

* Display (projector) technology
* TFT active matrix

* Color support
* 16M colors

* Max resolution
* 1280 x 768

Video Output

* Graphics processor
* Intel 855GM

Video Memory

* Video memory technology
* Shared video memory (UMA)

Storage Hard Drive

* Hard drive
* 80 GB IDE Internal

Don Donatello January 25th, 2006 02:01 PM

if you are viewing these clips ONLINE then perhaps your connection to internet is not fast enough ?? streaming HD clips is very difficult.

if you are downloading the clips and then viewing them ? if they are HD clips it depends on their stream bit rate and codec used ..

the HP with P M 1.5 should be good ... i use a 1.6 and it works for SD streaming ( 512- 800K bit rate) ...it will NOT play many HD clips (don't have the codec) .. on many sites they give you some choices for download HD small-med-large ..and regular small-med-large - i have no problems with the regular QT/WMV but 90% of the time cannot play any HD = many are using a H264 type codec and i just haven't been able to find one that will play QT files.

Steven Julien January 25th, 2006 03:19 PM

thanks for the info. i remember d/l a trailer for batman begins and it just wansnt playable. i'll check into the codec.

thanks again,
steven

Andrew Khalil January 25th, 2006 04:51 PM

I cannot play HD video on my PC either - using QT7, it looks like a slideshow.
My mac handles it no problem (no surprise there).

Dan Euritt January 26th, 2006 11:10 PM

the amount of ram that the video card has is critical to proper playback of big wmv files... you need a bare minimum of 256k, with 512k required for decent playback.

since you are using shared video memory on the laptop in question, perhaps that is the problem with hd media? you need to specify exactly which clips won't play correctly, tho, because your typical 320x240 web video should play back perfectly on that computer.

andrew, qt7 for the pc is marginal at best... a far better alternative for h.264 is the nero media player, it does the bi-directional prediction that qt may not be able to handle.

Marcus Marchesseault January 27th, 2006 05:37 AM

The problem is likely the shared memory of the onboard video processor. Those things are horrible. My desktop has a 3.5 year old Radion 9700 Pro with 256Meg of onboard RAM and plays any HD file. The only caveat is that I need to use VLC media player to use the Sony FX1 native .m2t files. Window Media Player is too slow to play .m2t files smoothly. Also, 1.5GHz is not all that fast for a modern computer. There is no easy (or possible) way to upgrade a laptop's motherboard to one that uses a better video processor.