DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Laptop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/70897-laptop.html)

Ron Edwards July 5th, 2006 02:50 PM

Laptop

Needing to purchase a laptop to show finished projects and to capture video from my JVC 5100.

Any suggestions, make model, accessories, etc.

Thanks in Advance!
Ron

Chris Hocking July 6th, 2006 12:39 AM

If you're a Mac person, I'd go one of the new MacBook Pro's. If you're budget allows, the 17" would be the pick of the bunch. Truly fantastic!

If you're a PC person, I'd go a Dell. My Dell laptop is a few years old now, and touch wood, is still as solid as a rock. No complaints! However, there may be Windows-based laptops that are specially design for video editing. I'm not sure. Worth looking into.

Good luck!

Matt Davis July 6th, 2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Edwards
Any suggestions, make model, accessories, etc.

I'd second the MacBook Pro 17" with a fast internal hard disk (good enough to digitise onto in an emergency) and a copy of Parallel to run WinXP so you can use DVrack and Windows Media Encoder.

Note the 15" doesn't have FireWire 800, so it's less easy to connect FW disk and camera to the PowerBook. I've also appreciated the extra real estate that the 17" provides, especially when working with clients and doing full screen previews.

If PCs are the only choice, my PC based musician friend swears by his Alienware Area 51 laptop. Bit of a big bruiser, but it's up there in the performance terms.

HTH, M.

James McEachern July 6th, 2006 10:27 AM

I agree with getting a mac if you want it.
But if you're a pc person i'd grab an HP, from my experince they are much more stable then any Dell I have seen

James

Spike Spiegel July 6th, 2006 12:58 PM

dont' go mac, i own the 17" macbook pro and its not all its made out to be... First off, its resolution isn't true 1920, its 1600 by something, which to me is, subpar... My dell XPS from 2 years ago has 1920 resolution and the macbook is supposed to be high end...Next, it's harddrives are a crappy 5400rpm drive... Video card isn't as powerful as it can be, and the unit runs hot as hell.
I also own the older mac 17" laptop and im not even happy with that... Anything on windows offers you higher, way higher performance.. how so?

Faster dual core machines, options for raiding your harddrives, sli capable, doesn't run like a furnace... Only drawback would be a heavy as a brick m achine...

THe macbook pro is frankly way overpriced for it's specs, and the hardware you get is very subpar, better to spend money on a sager or a high end dell or even an alienware... Its way snazzier and higherend.. As i've said, i own the mac and windows based laptops as mentioned and have no bias, its just my observation and user experience...Also to any reference to Dell laptops, the lower end dells are unreliable, the higher end XPS series offer great performance and they also come with good customer service..

Bennis Hahn July 6th, 2006 04:48 PM

I have had a my new Dell Insperon for a month now and I love it. I have had a ton of PC laptops in the past and this one takes the cake. It feels very solid and looks like it could take some abuse. I got with a 7200rpm drive, 1g of ram, T2300 duel core and it runs like a champ and that is on the low end of performance.

if you do go Dell, get every screen upgrade you can. Mine is Trubright with 1680x1050 resolution and it looks sweet. I can run two monitors off it as well as a TV.

Ervin Farkas July 6th, 2006 07:37 PM

If you're a PC person... Sony makes the VAIO series especially for multimedia. I own a 16 inch model for a little over 3 years now and it's been a true pleasure. Awesome sharp picture, firewire and it handles DV capturing with no problems.