DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   2 cam shoot - kickboxing event - need help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/78804-2-cam-shoot-kickboxing-event-need-help.html)

Keith Yuill November 3rd, 2006 07:28 AM

2 cam shoot - kickboxing event - need help

I'm filming a kickboxing fight night in December and hope someone can provide some tips on how to get the best outcome as possible. I have 2 cameras: XM2 (GL2), which will be wide angle stationary on tripod and XL2 operated by me. (I'm a one man bad I'm afraid). both cameras will be white balanced by using white card in the centre of the ring with ambient light (is this the best method?) I'm hoping to capture fighters coming out of the dressing rooms with the XL2 (with pag light) and film shouldermount from ring side. i will change from wide angle and closeups in post to keep viewers interested. the lighting will be poor but I can't do much with that. any advice will be appreciated.

Mark Bournes November 3rd, 2006 09:31 AM

Keith, I have worked in the same situation. Based on what you have said, the set up is right, If you have lights you could always set them up to add more light to the ring if necessary, depending on location restrictions. My suggestions would be to find a friend who can babysit the stationary camera. ie..change tapes, make sure no one knocks it over and so on. Or if you have the budget maybe pay him/her $100 for the night to help out. Having the extra set of hands will be worth it, that's a lot to manage on your own.

Chris Colin Swanson November 4th, 2006 01:31 AM

I agree with the last post, I think you have the right idea but that will be tough alone even with a remote to stop action on stationary camera between fights.
Its hard to use the stationary camera and ensure you get decent shots from every angle of the ring especially with auto focus and manual focus will probably not work well with poor lighting (the aperature will be to big to give you sufficient depth of field to cover the entire ring) Test the focused area of the ring before and and try to get the people in charge to give good enough lighting, maybe offer your services to them for additional lighting.
While you have bad angles you will want a decent cutaway to wide shot and fighting follows murpheys law by going to the corner of worst focus.
However, if you plan to use the one camera while they are entering the ring and then just use the stationary camera it might be better but you will lose all the really good close-ups and great angles of the hand held.

Keith Yuill November 4th, 2006 05:10 AM

Thanks for the much appreciated advice guys. I have managed to get a second operator for the stationary camera. I only have one redhead light and might be forced to use it depending on lighting on the night would you advise bouncing the light to avoid shadows?
Also, I sometimes have problems with colour matching the two cameras in post. would you recommend using colour swatches in front of each camera before the shoot then colour matching in post using the swatches for comparison? any other colour matching techniques you use?

Dean Sensui November 5th, 2006 03:46 PM

See if you can get the arena to turn on the lights as they would be set during the event. Then have both cameras in the ring and get a white balance off a card. Make sure that white balance setting doesn't get lost.

Or use the built-in white balance pre-set for tungsten light.

You want both cameras with the same gain setting and F-stop, if possible. And always shoot with everything on manual. Use your zebras to ensure you're not blowing out the highlights.

In boxing light always comes directly from overhead and that can't be helped. Some rings have dark mats and that makes it worse. But all of this also gives it a particular sense of drama.

If you can, set up at one camera so that it has a slightly elevated view to get the ropes out of the way. The second camera can be at ground level at ringside for dramatic close-ups, or you can set it at a 45-degree angle off to one side for a different view. Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Keep in mind that sometimes you can get dramatic images in the corner of the ring between rounds. And if you can get audio from the ring during the bouts, or from the coaches in the corners, that would be a nice bonus.