DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   The Ideal Video-Editing Software Bundle? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/79151-ideal-video-editing-software-bundle.html)

Aram Rian November 8th, 2006 08:23 AM

The Ideal Video-Editing Software Bundle?

hi again.
what, in your opinion, would be the ideal software bundle for video editing, post production, special effects, etc?

final cut studio?
avid express pro?
adobe premiere?
after effects?
shake?
or all of these?
is there anything i've missed?

p.s. i'm using a mac.

Ervin Farkas November 8th, 2006 10:54 AM

No such thing

There's no such thing... at least not one that applies to everyone. To me, the ideal editing suite is the one that does everything I need, I don't need to go to college to learn it, and I don't have to sell my arm, my leg, and my first born to buy it.

In my particular case it's the Adobe Suite...

Peter Ferling November 8th, 2006 11:53 AM

Correct. You can try a few demos and evaluate what's right for you. Generally you'll get good at one and stick with it. I've been using Premiere since v5 years back. I know I can cut just as good looking stuff with vegas or FCP. But I know Premiere and it continues to serve me well. Again, like Ervin points out, you decide the ideal package.

Lisa Shofner November 8th, 2006 12:11 PM

Since you are using a mac, Premeire is out.

If you are a student you can get a great deal on After Effects, but you still need an editing solution with that.

FCP studio from Apple has everything you need except After Effects (which you can ad on later). Of course, Shake2 is the same price as After Effects and would be good to know since that is what Hollywood is using at the moment.

If you are just starting out, not much money, etc...maybe Final Cut Express to start (on student discount) and then buy full FCP Suite when you get the money for that ($1200) or just go straight for FCP to start out if you can do that.

FCP is the mac standard (so far as I can tell) and there are tons of "how to use it" books, classes and dvds out there for it.

Gary Bettan November 8th, 2006 12:44 PM

for Mac guys you really have two choices - Final Cut pro or Avid Xpress Pro

Both are excellent programs that will get the job done.

Final Cut Studio $1299, Apple's comprehensive and integrated production suite, allows professional editors to elevate production values with powerful editing tools, revolutionary sound design, real-time motion graphics, and next-generation DVD authoring. Final Cut Studio includes Final Cut Pro 5, DVD Studio Pro 4 , Motion 2, and Soundtrack Pro, providing your customers with a complete video and film production solution.

Avid Xpress Pro $1499, software combines professional video, audio, film, effects, encoding tools, and custom music creation software - for both Mac and PC platforms in a single box. The software supports native HDV and DVCPRO HD for acquisition, editing, and output; real-time effects and 2:3 pulldown insertion over FireWire; and Avid DNxHD encoding to create effects, transitions, and titles with uncompromised image quality. Avid’s unique Open Timeline enables users to mix HDV, DVCPRO HD, and Avid DNxHD formats with SD and DV media in the same timeline in real-time, reducing the time it takes to complete projects that incorporate media from multiple sources.

You can find more info on both Mac based NLEs here http://www.videoguys.com/Mac.html

Gary

Aram Rian November 12th, 2006 01:53 AM

thank you all for the detailed replies. much appreciated.
but why is, according to some of you, Adobe Premiere out?
also, can FCE do the job as good as FCP?

Richard Alvarez November 12th, 2006 03:04 AM

Premiere won't run on a Mac, neither will Vegas. FCP of course, runs on a Mac, and as Gary pointed out, Avid ships with copies for BOTH Mac and PC.

EDIT: Well, I suppose it's possible now with the dual boot windows intel versions??? I don't use a Mac, so I don't know anything about the new software. But up untill now, it's not possible.

Aram Rian November 12th, 2006 03:56 AM

thanks, Richard, but i've got Premiere 6.5 already installed on my mac. so there IS a mac version. i simply thought Lisa (see above) meant that Premiere didn't have enough features or lacked certain abilities for an editing/post production application, which is why she thought it would get off the list... still confused :-)

Michael Brady November 12th, 2006 07:41 AM

Aram Adobe stopped doing premiere for macs when they moved (upgraded) to premiere pro. From what i have gathered premiere pro 2 is much improved since the premiere 6.5 version. I have that version (bought it for someone else to learn as part of a team) but it was hardly used!

One disadvantage between premiere and FCP is if you need to get your work completed by a post house. Presently most professional post houses deal with either avid or FCP much more than premiere. Perhaps premiere will continue to improve and be more used in future by more post houses who knows? Good luck whatever you do.

Michael

Dylan Pank November 12th, 2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aram Rian
thanks, Richard, but i've got Premiere 6.5 already installed on my mac. so there IS a mac version. i simply thought Lisa (see above) meant that Premiere didn't have enough features or lacked certain abilities for an editing/post production application, which is why she thought it would get off the list... still confused :-)

Aram, there WAS a Mac version of premiere, like three/four years ago. Premiere 6.5 is pretty much a dinosaur, and in professinal terms extinct. not comparable in anyway to the other packages you mentioned in your list. Premiere Pro is however a suitable competitor, and has it's adherents, but, as was mentioned elsewhere you'd have to dual boot winodws, and you say you're on a Mac, but you can only dual boot on an Intel Mac - not a G4/G5 model.

Richard Alvarez November 12th, 2006 10:04 AM

Right, I knew Premiere had discontinued their Mac Version a while back. I just didn't know if it would run on the Intel Macs via dual boot. My wife just bought a powerbook... and put the parrallel windows on it. The programs run just fine, but they're not graphic intensive. So I don't know about Premiere or Vegas or any other Graphics Windows based program. Perhaps someone on the board could chime in?

Peter Ferling November 12th, 2006 01:23 PM

Both FCP and PPro were practically cut from the same batch of cookie dough. Both will serve you well. If your a Mac guy then FCP is your game. Going to PPro will involve a switch to Windows OS, and will involve more hassle learning a new OS. As a lone wolf I have little problem sticking to a windows solution.

I would think that it us windows folks whom make the switch to Mac's in order to be complaint with industry rather than the other way round. If it wasn't for PPro, I would have made the switch and gone the FCP route a few years ago.

Aram Rian November 12th, 2006 02:06 PM

very helpful. thanks a lot, guys.
so if i eventually go for Final Cut Studio, does that suite require any extra hardware apart from what i've got (powerbook g4) - i.e. special graphic cards, some specific interface, etc? or can i just install it and use it right away?