DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   beginner question on DVCam vs HDV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/95802-beginner-question-dvcam-vs-hdv.html)

Juni Zhao June 4th, 2007 10:51 PM

beginner question on DVCam vs HDV

Hi all
I have been doing editing and post for quite a few years, but are having trouble with couple of contracted cameramen who simply cant give me the footage I want. so i just ask myself why dont I film the projects myself!... . But I am not too sure what cameras I should get. So far I have seen them using Betacam and DVCam. My friend tries to sell his Dsr 250 to me, but I wonder if its still worth spending money on SD cameras. Can Canon XL H1 shoot in SD DVCam format? If so I think I will pick that one, neede some input thanks a lot....
I know there may be some threads aboutthis topic, sorry but I dont have time to scan so many threads....

Mark Hislop June 5th, 2007 11:41 AM

Juni:

The XL H1 will record SD in DV, not DVCam.

Now, DV and DVCam are actually the same signal. It's just that DVCam has a wider track to make it easier for editing. If you are digitizing your footage via firewire, DV is no problem. As a matter of fact, if you are digitizing using a deck, it still isn't a problem (usually). You can get more DV footage on the same length tape than DVCam, and the signal quality is identical.

I have Beta SP, D9, DVCam, and now a couple of Xl H1's. The big advantage of the Canon is that you can shoot SD in DV, and you can shoot HDV. Once you've seen the HDV, you won't have any desire to go back to SD!

We sitll record on Beta SP, because most of our clients still distribute in SD. But I wouldn't buy any more Beta SP equipment.

Mark

Ervin Farkas June 5th, 2007 12:49 PM

Sony Z1

Depending on what your other requirements are, you can pick up a Sony Z1 - it records HDV and DV in regular or DVCAM format and it's actually a few thousands less expensive.

Gareth Watkins June 5th, 2007 01:03 PM

Hi there

I've had my Z1 and before that an FX1 for a couple of years, and have only just invested in PPro 2.0 to edit the Hdv stuff native as opposed to down converting..

The quality difference is amazing and using say Virtual dub to down rez gives a far nicer result and means I have my project saved in HDV..

As the other guys have said the Z1 will read Dvcam (Sony specific SD recordings), DV, and HDV...

Cheers
Gareth

Juni Zhao June 5th, 2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hislop (Post 692275)
Juni:

But I wouldn't buy any more Beta SP equipment.

Mark

Thanks for the point, Mark, now I am sure I won't buy that Sony Dsr 250, and no more money on SD equipment.....

Juni Zhao June 5th, 2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 692315)
Depending on what your other requirements are, you can pick up a Sony Z1 - it records HDV and DV in regular or DVCAM format and it's actually a few thousands less expensive.

I need a powerful work horse as my main camera in the price range, which will be the H1, then I will definitely consider Z1u for my second camera.