DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Some tricky questions.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/9997-some-tricky-questions.html)

Andreas Fernbrant May 23rd, 2003 09:41 AM

Some tricky questions..

OK, I have a face shot where you see a lot of texture on his skin.
Birthmarks, zits and other things.. If you look at supermodel pictures nowadays they have perfect skin.. I've seen this in some videos now too.. What I wounder is... How do I go about doing this? I've tried hand paiting it away in photoshop fram by frame.. But it got intregular and just looked like bad compression..

Anyone tried this? Anyone can give me hints or point me in the right direction?

Second question is about better resolution in post?
Is there any way to fake better resolution in post?
I've heard about "line doublers" I know I can't add
resolution but perhaps there is a way to "fake" it?

/Andreas

Bill Pryor May 23rd, 2003 10:38 AM

Supermodels use supermakeupartists, and they apply makeup with an airbrush...and they generally shoot in 35mm film. With cameras like the DSR500/570 and the equivalent, you have a skin softening file. You can move the cursor within the viewfinder to grab the skin tone and, basically, tell the camera to soften it, and it will soften the skin without softening any more of the image. You can also use filters. But, there are limits to what can be done in camera...if the person has bad skin, well, that's what makeup is for.

Brad Doan May 23rd, 2003 10:59 AM

Hey Andreas,

I have run into this myself. You have two options: You can buy some nice filters and shoot it again. I am sure some of these guys know exactly which filters would work the best, but there are a number that are specifically designed for reducing the irregularities in skin-tone. Your second option is to get a copy of AfterEffects and rotoscope a mask over the areas you need to soften in your footage. Inside the mask you add a subtle blur effect which will reduce or eliminate the amount of detail. I know I didn't do a very good job of explaining myself, but maybe this will help.

~Brad

Zac Stein May 23rd, 2003 11:08 AM

I think the dvx100 has a skin softening preset built in as well.

Zac

Joseph George May 23rd, 2003 11:24 AM

soft lighting also helps

John Garcia May 23rd, 2003 11:55 AM

yeah, I do it all the time in photoshop, too bad the same doesnt apply for video...

Good Luck!

John Threat May 23rd, 2003 06:19 PM

Yes, soft disfussed lighting will help a person with skin that looks rough, look smooth.

Think about throwing up a white sheet in front of your light source.

Akos Szemenyei May 23rd, 2003 09:55 PM

Actually, they use body makeup on the bodyparts that are going to be shown on the screen. They also make sure that the spots and stuff disappear as much as possible, usually up to 95%. If it's really bad you overexpose slightly in post or on the set so you get less skin detail. This is probably the easiest way, and eliminates a lot of post production work.

Then you can do the stuff that people already have explained like adding filters etc.

Andreas Fernbrant May 24th, 2003 04:14 AM

OK, I'll have to come up with a way by myself on how to do this..
This could be fun with so many not thinking this will be able in post!:)

Now I just have to!!!

I'll be back when I have the solution!!

/Andreas