DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   HMC150 vs FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/236186-hmc150-vs-fx1.html)

Dror Levi May 27th, 2009 09:05 AM

HMC150 vs FX1

I am currently own the sony FX1 and ready to get my 2nd camera.
At this point i am very confused as what camera to get.
Cameras I considered were the Z5, FX1000 and the HMC150.
I am very impress with the HMC150 very good package all together.
What really makes it hard to decide is that the sony is better in low light and since that all of my work is weddings, camera with low light is a must.
Reading here in this forum I understand that the HMC150 is not that far away from the fx1000.
I just wander how is the HMC150 compare to the FX1 as far as low light and image quality and sharpness.

Tom Hardwick May 27th, 2009 10:44 AM

The low light differences will be pretty minimal and the camera's ergonomics will have much more bearing on your workflow. The 150 uses CCDs so is far nicer under the torrent of electronic flash at weddings - as you know from owing the FX1.

But staying with Sony (Z5, FX1000) means you only take one charger, one set of batteries, one Lanc controller. You also get the reach of the 20x zoom but to go tapeless (as the 150 comes as standard) will mean spending a lot more $$ up front.

tom.

Jeff Harper May 27th, 2009 10:51 AM

Tom is correct of course. I have the Panasonic and 2 FX1000s. If I had my choice I would choose the Z5. You get tapeless workflow, you use the same batteries, you get pro audio, and better low light. The Z5 would be a perfect companion for the FX1.

Or you could consider picking up a used Z1. If you could get a good enough deal that would be a very good choice.

Your second camera should have the dual audio inputs, IMO. The Z5 and the Z1 both have that.

If your budget allows, I would definitely go with the Z5. It comes with the recording unit and is a very nice camera.

One issue with the 150 is you'd be mixing types of footage and that would not be fun. I got my Panasonic only because I got a real good deal. I'd stick with Sony if at all possible, just as Tom has already said.

Tom Hardwick May 27th, 2009 11:11 AM

Now that's a very good suggestion Jeff's made. If you get a secondhand Z1 Dror you'll be up and running with it in an hour or two, having already got an FX1. You'll just love the focus assist (note Panasonic's 'focus assist' isn't the same thing at all), the fine tune on the white balance, the zoom read-out in the v'finders and the XLRs.

You'll stay with CCDs, have that excellent top screen that's visible in broad daylight and have cameras that will match on the timeline. You'll also have LP, SP, DVCAM and HDV at your disposal.

tom.

Jeff Harper May 27th, 2009 11:25 AM

Regarding the HMC150, I like it just fine, but I'm stuck with learning a whole new system now.

It didn't seem like that big of a deal in the heat of getting a good deal on the camera, but the reality of dealing with AVCHD and having to learn "alien" camera controls has really sunk in now that I have the camera in my hot little hands.

Another thing that both Tom and I neglected to mention is that the footage from the Z1 will match your FX1 perfectly.

The Z5 wouldn't match as perfectly but would be much easier to match up than the Panasonic.

Tom Hardwick May 27th, 2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1149151)
Another thing that both Tom and I neglected to mention is that the footage from the Z1 will match your FX1 perfectly.

Hey Jeff, I didn't forget to mention it :)

Jeff Harper May 27th, 2009 11:54 AM

ooops...missed that Tom!

Jeff Kellam May 27th, 2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1149151)
Regarding the HMC150, I like it just fine, but I'm stuck with learning a whole new system now.

It didn't seem like that big of a deal in the heat of getting a good deal on the camera, but the reality of dealing with AVCHD and having to learn "alien" camera controls has really sunk in now that I have the camera in my hot little hands.

The Z5 wouldn't match as perfectly but would be much easier to match up than the Panasonic.

Having two different camera systems is a total PITA. I didn't think it would be an issue between the HMC-150 and the XH-A1, it was. Those two cameras controls are almost exactly opposite right down to one battery charger being finished with the light on and one finished with the light off.

Im sure the Sony and Panasonic controls are very different too.

Having identical cameras/accessories is such a relief.

Dror Levi May 27th, 2009 02:01 PM

well, I think you guys helped me to nerrow it down to ether fx1000 or z5.
I will eventually sell the fx1 and get a 2nd z5/fx100 dipends what I get first.

Jeff Harper May 27th, 2009 02:20 PM

So, out of curiosity, has anyone here shot with the HMC150 and the FX1/Z5? I imagine the HMC150 is somewhat better in low light than the FX1/Z5. Am I correct?

Jeff Harper May 27th, 2009 02:23 PM

Dror, there is a Z7 for sale in the classifieds section for $4500 in case you're interested. Great camera from what I hear.

Dana Salsbury May 28th, 2009 04:10 AM

We had multiple FX1s and sold them for multiple 150s. My biggest raves: 150 low light smokes the FX1 like a thug before a firing squad. Dramatically better. Workflow as well. My only 150 complaint is the zoom ring has no resistance like the fx1. I used to be able to do insanely smooth manual zooms. Oh...one other complaint is that the 150 autofocus is not as quick as the FX1. In every other way, the 150 spanks the FX1. You'll find the FX1 to be heavy after trying the 150.

My opinion: Sell the FX1 and buy two 150s. If you're going to learn a new camera, have both of your cams the same, so you don't have to stay up on two cams. I need to be able to unconsciously find things quickly. My cam is an instrument, and the only instrument I want to master right now.

Dror Levi May 28th, 2009 10:59 AM

Dana, could you say absolutely that the HMC150 has a better quality\sharper picture then the fx1

Jeff Kellam May 28th, 2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dror Levi (Post 1149724)
Dana, could you say absolutely that the HMC150 has a better quality\sharper picture then the fx1

Dror:

The FX-1 was introduced in February of 2004. That thing is ancient.

The HMC-150 is far advanced in every way from the FX-1.

Jeff Harper, is the HMC-150 or the FX-1000 better for low light?

Dana Salsbury May 28th, 2009 12:48 PM

Dramatically better than the FX1. We did a lot of research, as we LOVED our FX1s. Yet we had no idea how much better it could be. I feel Sony is a better company, but Sony didn't put the 150 on the market -- and a three year warranty is unbelievable.

Whatever you do, encourage you to go tapeless. It's worth re-learning some things.