DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic AG-AF100 Series IBC Announcement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/484654-panasonic-ag-af100-series-ibc-announcement.html)

Jenn Kramer September 13th, 2010 12:02 AM

Panasonic AG-AF100 Series IBC Announcement

Panasonic has released more info on the AG-AF100 micro 4/3rds series camera series for IBC:

Memory Card Camera Recorder | Panasonic

Dual SD slot 24Mbps AVCHD, 1080/24p and 720/60p.

Bernd Eller September 13th, 2010 12:53 AM

Remote zoom?

Well, there are some threads about this camera already, but what strikes me most when looking at the specifications from your link is the following line:
"Camera Remote (super mini jack x 1; zoom, S/S, mini jack x 1; focus, iris)"
A remote zoom would be fantastic (and definitely important for my work), but how on earth should it be possible? As far as I remember the pics from the back of the AF101, this remote jack is labelled only as S/S (start/stop) - but contrary to the HMC151 for example no mentioning of "zoom", which makes sense.
So could Panasonic have figured out a way to offer remote zoom or am I right in guessing, itīs just an error on the homepage?

Jad Meouchy September 13th, 2010 12:56 AM

This camera looks fantastic, but why do they insist on using low bitrate AVCHD?

Nigel Barker September 13th, 2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy (Post 1568779)

They are quoting 24Mbps but that is the maximum. The average bit rate is in fact 21Mbps. According to engadget it will be priced for the body only at about 4900 Euros / $6000 Panasonic announces AF105 Micro Four Thirds camcorder, interchangeable lenses not included -- Engadget

Andrew Stone September 13th, 2010 07:41 AM

It has HD-SDI out. If you want high bitrate material you attach an external recorder capable of issuing high bitrate recording.

Sean Seah September 13th, 2010 08:10 AM

wished they had a 35Mbps codec. I'm sure Sony will roll out something next. Wonder what Canon is going to do about it.

Tim Polster September 13th, 2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy (Post 1568779)

I have used the HMC-150 with AVCHD and it is better than one would think. It is full raster, very nice color & detail and I have been able to recover some overexposed highlights in Edius.

Given this camera is manual lens only, it will mainly be used in controlled lighting situations. I think this codec will be surprisingly fine for that environment.

Plus, as a first product I am guessing that Panasonic wants to judge demand and operational efficiency before the trumpet fanfare rollout of the more expensive P2 version.

Zach Love September 13th, 2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 1568862)
wished they had a 35Mbps codec. I'm sure Sony will roll out something next. Wonder what Canon is going to do about it.

The bit rate alone doesn't determine quality. And every codec has a sweet spot of quality & bit rate value, go above it & you're not gaining anything but bragging rights.

This seems like a logical move for Panasonic. They seem to stick with a few formats, so right now it is either AVCHD or P2. If this was P2, it would cost a lot more.

As long as the HD-SDI output is straight off the chips then you attach a Nano Flash or KiPro Mini & record whatever your heart desires.

Dylan Couper September 13th, 2010 10:09 AM

I wonder how much of a chunk this will take out of the 5D2/7D market... It's obviously a better camera in so many ways, but the price difference (for the indie film world) and lack of lens choices is significant.

Andy Shipsides September 13th, 2010 10:24 AM

Dylan,

The AF100 will actually have a huge range of lens choices Because the Micro 4/3 flange depth is very short, with adapters you could put Nikon, Canon, PL, and many other lenses directly on the camera without modification. The price point is very low to me considering that it has HD-SDI & HDMI output for monitoring and recording, pro audio inputs, and all the bells and whistles of a video camera. With all the audio boxes and other accessories required, I think a similarly equipped DSLR would come pretty close in price... and still wouldn't have the video functions and clean output.

Andy

Dylan Couper September 13th, 2010 10:30 AM

Yes, but noone ever looks at the overall price after goodies. :)

(I agree with you though, and for what you get seems like a very fair price.)

DPreview.com has the price at $10,000... someone is confused out on the web.

Paulo Teixeira September 13th, 2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1568832)
They are quoting 24Mbps but that is the maximum. The average bit rate is in fact 21Mbps. According to engadget it will be priced for the body only at about 4900 Euros / $6000 Panasonic announces AF105 Micro Four Thirds camcorder, interchangeable lenses not included -- Engadget

I've seen that price a few times already and since US prices are usually significantly less than prices in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the price is no more than $4,500. I had a $4,000 dream estimate and it would be sweet if that would actually turn true. Still, $4,500 would not be bad. That's all assuming the 4,900 Euro price will stay.

Lawrence Bansbach September 13th, 2010 02:02 PM

Sadly, Jan Crittenden has confirmed that HD-SDI is only 8-bit. It seems kind of dumb. Panasonic seems to be going out of its way to promote bit depths and data rates for its so-called digital cinema camera that are below those of its broadcast products. I realized they were undoubtedly trying to contain costs with the AF100. Still, it seems a little ass-backwards.

Dylan Couper September 13th, 2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira (Post 1568991)
I've seen that price a few times already and since US prices are usually significantly less than prices in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the price is no more than $4,500. I had a $4,000 dream estimate and it would be sweet if that would actually turn true. Still, $4,500 would not be bad. That's all assuming the 4,900 Euro price will stay.

That price range would almost guarantee my purchase.

Anyone have a guess as to what low light/noise levels are realistic out of this when compared to say the 1Dmk4 or 5Dmk2?

Zach Love September 13th, 2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1568914)
Yes, but noone ever looks at the overall price after goodies. :)

Which is why so many people say that HDSLRs are an inexpensive way to shoot video.

DSLR + Mixer + Audio Record + Loupe + Mount = $$$

I think this camera, the one Sony is making & hopefully whatever Canon is cooking up, will kill the current HDSLR craze & truly create a new subset of video cameras. Though that really still depends on if they get it right with their new round of cameras.

There already seems to be some big negatives to this camera, so maybe it might take a couple tries. IE a year later they'll release a AG-AF170 w/ all the things that should have been in the first release.