DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Does the AF-100 Line skip? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/489109-does-af-100-line-skip.html)

Noah Yuan-Vogel February 18th, 2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Crittenden Livingston (Post 1600542)
there is no line skipping being used. It uses an optical low-pass filter to resolve the aliasing and moire that is typical from high count imagers.

Isn't aliasing and moire less common in high (pixel) count imagers? More numerous, smaller pixels, means more samples and less space between samples, which would seem to mean less aliasing. Unless you are talking about aliasing that is typical from line-skipping on high pixel count imagers?

Jan Crittenden Livingston February 18th, 2011 05:29 PM

Last post, My engineer was there with the cameras all the way and the folks, ASC Members, DPs and DITs that are well-known in this industry, that are running the test are big names in the industry. there were close to 85 people involved in the first round and I do trust them.

There are not vast budgets and huge headcounts at any video manufacturer these days. Sorry, I wish that were true, but it is not. I do the work of 5 people, if I go back to comparing what I do to who did it in 1996. I am busy and I am not an engineer and I would need to involve my engineer to get this done and since I took up 3 of his days for the Zacuto shoot and there is yet another segment of that I need him for.

Anybody that would like to decide on a camera can visit the vimeo site where I have collected a good number of clips created by people that own the camera, see here: AF100 Footage and Interviews/Presentations videos on Vimeo or they can visit their local reseller for a demo.

And while it seems that you can read whatever into my departure, I just am busy and need to spend the time on things more constructive as we prep for NAB I don't have the time to chase this down and I regret even posting on this thread. I could post any res chart I wanted and you wouldn't or couldn't argue it was or was not the AF100. I think the Zacuto shootout will be the answer as there you have a chart that it is certainly verified by more than one person that it is the AF100. So I am saying that I will live with what the folks from the shoot out say. People vastly smarter that I were there.

And in a way, I am saying that you don't get paid for lines of resolution, you do get paid for creating nice pictures. Buying a camera on resolution alone is a mistake, but there are those on this list that will argue that is how you make the decision. I think potential clients would rather see video that has been created in a controlled and even way to be inspiring and beautiful rather than chart after chart of resolution. It isn't about resolution, it is about the pictures.

Best,

Jan

Ron Wilber February 19th, 2011 12:22 AM

dang... this isn't a 40 thousand dollar camera. Pixel peeping and hounding to this extent, on a camera that will be out of date in 6-12 months, seems rather pointless. If you haven't already made up your mind about the af100 with all the footage and discussions floating around... then this is clearly not the camera for you.

Noah Yuan-Vogel February 19th, 2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wilber (Post 1619693)
dang... this isn't a 40 thousand dollar camera. Pixel peeping and hounding to this extent, on a camera that will be out of date in 6-12 months, seems rather pointless. If you haven't already made up your mind about the af100 with all the footage and discussions floating around.. then this is clearly not the camera for you.

I would highly recommend against making all your decisions about a camera based entirely on compressed online video and forum discussions. The AF100 still is still backordered at most stores, so it is not yet available to all of those that would like to own/try it, so in many ways a lot of what has been said about the camera is still speculation and early-adopter opinions.

If you are not interested in the discussion due to having already made up your mind, you do not need to be involved, but in my mind some of these questions we have posed may determine whether this camera will be "out of date" in 3months or 3years given the various competing products about to come to market.

Mestizo Devon February 19th, 2011 09:52 AM

I think thats the point, get the best camera you can at the time because next week the af100A will have less noise and better IQ and so on. I'm tired of the incremental updates, I need a camera to stand TALL for a couple years!

David W. Jones February 19th, 2011 12:12 PM

Well this will be my last post in this thread, and quite frankly I'm surprised it has lasted this long with all the ill will being poured out. I Wish Jan the best, as she has been nothing but helpful, even under fire from the likes of people who's only intention is to stir the pot.

I have used many cameras over the years. From a Quaker Oatmeal box pinhole camera to an Arri 535B, and everything in between. And the only thing that has been consistent, is change. Cameras will come and go as technology moves forward. No camera will be the end all camera. Truth is, I have purchased 4 new cameras since the announcement of the Red Scarlet. Our newest camera purchase, the AF100 was so cost effective it paid for itself in under a week. Which is the fastest I have ever had a camera pay for itself.
Bottom line... If you feel the AF100 is not the camera for you, don't buy it!

All the Best!

Dave

Chris Hurd February 19th, 2011 12:23 PM

What difference is made by all the measurbating? Zero.

We are officially done, done and done with this thread.

Many thanks to Ron Wilber, David Jones and Jan C. L.