DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Generic HMC80 Batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/499270-generic-hmc80-batteries.html)

Tony Nguyen August 5th, 2011 05:35 PM

Generic HMC80 Batteries

Hey Everyone,

Just got my HMC80 and is new to Panasonic cameras. Has anyone had any experience with generic batteries for the HMC80? I've been researching online and there are mixed feelings about other cameras but not specifically for the HMC80.

Here are some of the things I've gathered (whether true or not):
1) Generics doesn't "speak" to the camera;therefore, doesn't tell the actual time left.
2) Generics doesn't work at all because Panasonic cameras only detect batteries that has a chip installed in them to ensure they are authentic.
3) Generic 5400 mAh doesn't actually run 5 hours, some say only 3 hours but that is still good for the price.

I've used many generics for Canon cameras for my XL2 and XHA1 with no problems at all. Sometimes I feel as if they out last my original ones! Thanks in advance.

Chris Harding August 5th, 2011 06:52 PM

Re: Generic HMC80 Batteries

Hi Tony

I have my orginal batteries that came with my cams plus 4 x Generics (4500mah ones) Yes they work fine and yes, you are correct, they won't last 5 hours ...mine show 268 minutes.
Now, you MUST make sure that the seller specifies that the battery is for either the HMC40, 80 or 150 because they have the decoding chip built in the base that talks to the camera.

After around 12 months they will probably be no good and have little life left BUT bear in mind that where I am the Panny battery costs $315.00 and the generic costs $34.00 ... so toss them in the garbage after a year and buy a few more.

BTW: try to get the ones that specific they use "japanese cells" in them.

Chris

Tony Nguyen August 9th, 2011 06:31 PM

Thanks Chris! Just the answer I'm looking for. Got a few on the way.

Chris Harding August 9th, 2011 08:58 PM

Hi Tony

They work well but will eventually start dying after 12 months of use...Just make sure you replace them earlier sooner than later!!

When I started using the generics on my HMC70's they refused to communicate the first time the cam was turned on. If that does happen, don't panic!! Just leave the battery in place and turn the cam off and on again and they will communicate and be fine. I must admit that on my HMC80's they work first time everytime and there was no need to cycle the power switch off and on. Even if your brand does that, it's a small price to pay for the much lower cost!! The time left will appear in about 30 seconds and seems accurate...mine all seem to indicate 268 minutes when full and to be honest I have shot many weddings with them and have never got to exhausting them!! The 12 month +++ pair I have seem to run fine but after shooting about an hour or more the time drops down a bit faster so you might end up with the battery telling you 70 mins left and you have only used it for just under 2 hours. I use the older pair for Realty shoots which take about 2 hours and a flat battery isn't an issue like a wedding where you just cannot have a battery die during the groom's speech!!!

Chris

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 2nd, 2011 11:33 PM

bump to this thread...

i just got my HMC80 today, and the Panasonic VBG6 is backordered by a couple months at B&H, so i noticed that Adorama has the Flashpoint VBG6 for $29.95. Item description says it's fully decoded.

is that what i should be looking for?

Chris Harding December 3rd, 2011 08:07 PM

Hi Michael

As long as the battery says it's decoded then it's likely to work!! At $30 I would certainly take the risk.

Just remember that the cells themselves are nowhere hear as good as genuine Panny ones so if the battery says 236 minutes don't expect the battery to actually last that long...However for a mere $30 a shorter run time is a small price to pay...they will certainly run the camera for a couple of hours at least!!

I use generics at wedding receptions so the cameras work on and off from 6pm to midnight and there is still enough left in the batteries at the end!

Chris

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 3rd, 2011 09:50 PM

thanks for the reassurance, Chris... i can live with a couple hours for now as i dont do long continuous filming... the 30 bux should hold me over until B&H gets the Panasonics in stock...

Chris Harding December 4th, 2011 02:54 AM

I don't know what the VB6 batteries cost on your side of the pond but here they retail for $399!!! I can get 10 generic batteries for that price and although their life is not as good as the genuine I'm still shooting on two batteries that I bought in 2010...if I have to lash out $80 every two years I'm more than happy with that!!
I'll probably ditch the 2010 pair early next year and buy another ...seriously it will be quite a while before they equal the cost of a Panny VB6 and by that time I might have even changed cameras!!!

The original batteries are still pretty good (the 2400mah ones) but those are less than a year old!! My 2010 generics I used to use with my pair of HMC70's that I bought in late 2009 and they are still going well!! I bought the second pair of generics in February when I changed from HMC70 to HMC80

My thinking is keep the genuine cam battery and then backup with a couple of generics and you can't go wrong!! With the money you save you can buy more goodies for your camera!!

Chris

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 4th, 2011 08:27 PM

that makes total sense...

over here, im finding the Panny battery for around $150 USD

since i still need to find a camera bag for this beast, the Panny batt will have to wait... the Kata for my Sony FX7 is way too small...

Taky Cheung December 5th, 2011 01:08 PM

We have the VW-VBG6 decoded version at an affordable price

VW-VBG6 Panasonic Compatible Li-Ion Battery | L.A. Color Online

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 5th, 2011 08:42 PM

good info, Taky... are you guys brick and mortar or just online?

Taky Cheung December 5th, 2011 10:05 PM

Thanks! We are an online store. But I have a wedding studio in Pasadena that we can meet up to check things out.

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 6th, 2011 01:08 AM

good to know... i gotta wait until after the holidays for anymore goodies... haha

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 7th, 2011 07:00 PM

i got the Adorama battery today, in time for this weekend's trip and it won't mount on the camera...

FML...

hahaha...

Chris Harding December 8th, 2011 08:05 PM

Hi Michael

Won't mount like how??? It certainly should fit into the battery compartment as the 80 has a huge one and if it's a VBG6 compatible it should have the identical base as the panny battery?? All my have and just clip right in without any issues at all!!

Maybe enlighten us a bit??

Chris

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 8th, 2011 09:26 PM

i need to take a pic... the rear locking pin on the camera won't engage... it's as if the battery is 1/32" too big... it slides into place just right, and i can power the camera on, but since the little pin can't clear the battery to lock it in place, the battery slides out...

i went on adorama and filled out their contact form yesterday afternoon, but am still waiting for a reply...

i could take a dremel to the battery and grind it down just enough but i shouldn't have to... looking back at the reviews on adorama for this battery, they are all good but a number of folk had to return the battery for a new one as the battery would not stay locked in the camera... seems to be a common occurence?

it's soooooooooo close to working, but it's that darn fraction of an inch.. hahaha...

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 8th, 2011 09:50 PM

ok... well, tried again just now, and i found that if i jiggle the back of the battery down, thus lifting the front of the battery where the connectors are, it shifts the battery just enough to clear the lock pin and it locks in place... whew...

so now that i figured how to get the battery to mount, i finally got around to putting it in my stock charger...

it's too long for the charger, so it doesn't lock into place... so i put in place, and then tilted it on its side to keep the battery in the charger... first two attempts led to a flashing LED on the charger which means the battery isn't compatible, right? ugh...

i was not going to give up, so took it out again and mounted it on the charger a third time... it seems to have worked for now... solid green for now...

keeping my fingers crossed...

i wonder if L.A. Colors charger for their extended battery will work with this thing...

Chris Harding December 9th, 2011 12:19 AM

Hi Michael

My battery's base is 58mm exactly..I'm just wondering if the plastic moulding was just "rough moulded" but 1/32" seems a bit excessive unless the moulding process formed a ridge??? All my batteries drop into the 80's chargers with no issue....I would personally take a strip of emery cloth and just sand around the 3 sides (not the terminal side) and that should do the trick...examine it under a magnifier and see if there is any part of the moulding that can be trimmed!

BTW: All Panny batteries take a LONG time to charge so expect 3 - 4 hours on a low battery!!!

Chris

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 9th, 2011 12:45 AM

thanks Chris... yah, im sure it's less than 1/32" haha... i finally have this battery figured out and what amount of finessing it will take to load it into the camera...

how spooky... just as i was reading your comment about it taking 3 to 4 hours, i glanced up at the clock and it's been about 3 hours and 15 minutes... i glanced at the charger, and a couple seconds later, it was fully charged, or so i hope...

just plugged the battery into the camera... 242 mins according to the LCD... guess i am good to go?

Chris Harding December 9th, 2011 06:07 PM

My batteries in record mode usually show up at 263 minutes but start becoming horribily inaccurate under 100 minutes....Yesterday I was doing two Realty shoots and withing 15 minutes it dropped from 151 minutes down to 53 minutes...then again I had already done a 2 hour shoot and was halfway thru my second so the cam run time was probably at least 3 hours total and the battery was still good!!!

Chris

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 9th, 2011 06:15 PM

ok cool... as soon as i get a carry bag for the camera, i will order a couple more batteries... i typically only need about 2 to 3 hours total record time...

Doug Thompson December 9th, 2011 07:41 PM

To give the HMC80 better balance, I went with the Anton Bauer Gold Mount adapter and used the Lithium Ion batteries from B4B (Batteries 4 Broadcast). The B4B power cells costs half what the AB batteries do. I've been using them on various cameras for a couple of years now and love them. They provide enough weight to overcome the lens-heavy bias plus give me five hours plus of battery life. Having the AB Gold Mount on the back also provides a way to daisy chain accessories like a wireless mic adapter and the mount gives me an extra power outlet for lights, monitors, etc.

Doug Thompson
Blue Ridge Muse
Blue Ridge Photography
Buffalo Mountain Films
Blue Ridge Muse | News, views and musings from the Blue Ridge Mountains of Southwestern Virginia

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 9th, 2011 09:56 PM

those AB batteries are no joke on price... although, the B4B batteries are also quite an investment...

definitely something to keep on my wishlist though...

Doug Thompson December 9th, 2011 10:34 PM

Amen on the price of AB batteries. I used them for years but found the B4B ones a better value for the money. An AB Dionix 90 will set you back $350-$400. The B4B equivalent is $235 direct from Kevin at B4B. I have both and find I get more life out of the B4B. The only downside is that you can't charge the B4Bs on AB chargers or the other way around but a travel charger for the B4B series is just $115,

Helen Oster December 11th, 2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Hermogeno (Post 1702465)
i need to take a pic... the rear locking pin on the camera won't engage... it's as if the battery is 1/32" too big... it slides into place just right, and i can power the camera on, but since the little pin can't clear the battery to lock it in place, the battery slides out...

i went on adorama and filled out their contact form yesterday afternoon, but am still waiting for a reply...

If you need to return it please let me know: Helen@adorama.com

Michael Anthony Hermogeno December 11th, 2011 04:07 PM

Thanks Helen!

I got the reply email from customer service today.

But, I finally figured out how to jiggle the battery in and it works.

I will be keeping this one.

Helen Oster December 11th, 2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Hermogeno (Post 1702943)
Thanks Helen!

I got the reply email from customer service today.

But, I finally figured out how to jiggle the battery in and it works.

I will be keeping this one.

OK; well, you now know where I am if you ever need help with anything in the future.