DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   AG-AC160 - Time/Date stamp (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/501641-ag-ac160-time-date-stamp.html)

James Downie October 15th, 2011 01:09 PM

AG-AC160 - Time/Date stamp

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a legal videographer and just bought one of these new Panasonic cameras. The selling point was the ability to burn in the time/date stamp. I have been using an old PD170 for many years but thought it was time to upgrade. Had to sell my EX1R to pay for the new Panny. Anyway, got it yesterday and I'm sitting here setting it up now. It does indeed burn the time/date, but unfortunately, it's about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the screen, which is too high. Since this is my first Panasonic, I was hoping that someone could let me know if there is a way to adjust the location. Thanks for your help.

James Downie

Mark L. Whalen October 16th, 2011 05:42 AM

Re: AG-AC160 - Time/Date stamp

This may be a dumb question James, but did you check if the D/T stamp remains that far up the image in all recording modes (all AVCHD - as well as DV)?

I've been using an HMC150 (and occasionally an HMC40) well over a year for legal video, and the date/time position on both cameras is placed in frame similar to the venerable PD170.

Also, is your attached image from an external source or directly from the AVCHD file? The reason I ask is the manual states: "The size and position of the time stamp characters in external output displays may vary from the displays in the LCD monitor or viewfinder."

James Downie October 16th, 2011 04:23 PM

Yep, I have the camera attached to a DVD burner via the RCAs and to a laptop via firewire. It's in the same location on all media. I spoke with another legal videographer who got a sneak preview of the camera and he said the location of the stamp was not at the same height as it is now. I can't imagine why they would move it. The response I got from Panasonic yesterday was basically "that's where it is and you can't do anything about it." Can't imagine they'd market this camera to this industry and not let it be adjusted.

James Downie October 16th, 2011 04:24 PM

Also sent the image to another HMC40 user and he was also amazed that it was so high.

Mark L. Whalen October 16th, 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Downie (Post 1689134)
I spoke with another legal videographer who got a sneak preview of the camera and he said the location of the stamp was not at the same height as it is now. I can't imagine why they would move it. The response I got from Panasonic yesterday was basically "that's where it is and you can't do anything about it." Can't imagine they'd market this camera to this industry and not let it be adjusted.

For legal videography that position is completely unacceptable - and by that I mean both the time stamp AND Panasonic's stance. FWIW, you should contact Jan Crittenden @ Panasonic. She's on this forum from time to time.

I had planned on getting an AC130 for legal videography due to the dual slot recording capability. However, if its D/T stamp is the same as the 160, I'll just stick with the HMC150.

James Downie October 17th, 2011 08:20 AM

I've been looking for her contact info on here and several other sites. You wouldn't happen to have it, would you?

Mark L. Whalen October 17th, 2011 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Downie (Post 1689306)
I've been looking for her contact info on here and several other sites. You wouldn't happen to have it, would you?

PM sent with her contact info.

Carl Sobeck October 17th, 2011 08:42 AM

Try this guy, he was very helpful with a question I had last year about a hcm 80 time stamp. Not sure he is still in the same position though:

Wes Carr
Area Sales Manager
Broadcast
Panasonic Solutions Company

Office: 352-735-0211
Wes.Carr@us.panasonic.com
---------------------------------------------------------------
Lets hope its a easy solution or else the 130/160 camera's won't work for the Legal profession

Carl R. Sobeck, CLVS

James Downie October 17th, 2011 08:53 AM

Mark, thanks for the info. I sent her an email and I'll let you know what I find out.

Carl, I'll try Wes too. Thanks!

D.J. Ammons October 21st, 2011 09:47 PM

James, any update yet?

James Downie October 26th, 2011 03:43 PM

They say the engineers are looking at it, but it could take a while.

James Downie October 26th, 2011 03:48 PM

This is the thing that eats at me the most. Another videographer in Columbia, SC got his hands on one of these cameras a few weeks before the official release at a Panasonic preview. He captured some video on his laptop and compared it to the video that I captured. While the stamp was still a little too high (yet usable), it was considerably lower than that of my camera. He was initially told it was a stock model that was the same as the ones that would be sold upon release, but after some digging, he found out that it wasn't a stock model but one that the Panasonic engineers brought themselves. So the stamp was purposefully raised at some point before release.

Jan Crittenden Livingston December 5th, 2011 10:49 AM

We now have the firmware in house to update the AG-AC130 and the AG-AC160 Time Date Stamp to a lower position on the screen. This does require a trip to Panasonic. Depending on which side of the Mississippi you are on call either the LA office 323-436-3503 or the NJ office 201-392-4081.

Thank you for your patience on this one.

Best regards,

Jan

James Downie December 16th, 2011 03:43 PM

Sent my 160 last week for the update. Got it back yesterday and all is well. The stamp is now at the bottom of the screen, as low as they could have possibly put it. I can whole heartedly recommend this camera now for legal deposition work. If anyone wants to see a screen grab, email me and I'll forward one to you.

James Downie
Blufish Media
jdownie@blufishmedia.com

James Downie December 16th, 2011 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
.... or I suppose I can just attach a pic. :)