DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   HMC80 3.5mm mic input (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/510561-hmc80-3-5mm-mic-input.html)

Bill Rabkin September 8th, 2012 07:21 PM

HMC80 3.5mm mic input

I have an HMC80, on which I typically use external XLR mics. I also own an Azden wireless lav mic with a 3.5mm plug on the receiver, which I'd like to use from time to time when I shoot a single person speaking at an event. I plug the Azden into the "EXT MIC IN" jack on the right side of the HMC80, but I get no sound! I've tested the mic on another camcorder; it works fine.

I've tried switching the 2 XLR audio inputs from Front to Back, without plugging in any XLR mics. This turns off the built-in stereo mic on the HMC80, but does not turn on the 3.5mm jack.

I've looked through the menus, but didn't find anything that seemed to be "Turn on EXT MIC IN". The manual says only that the 3.5mm jack is for an external mic; it doesn't say anything about how to activate that input jack.

Is there a switch or setting somewhere that I've overlooked, one that turns on the 3.5mm EXT MIC IN jack?

Thanks,
Bill

Chris Harding September 8th, 2012 07:54 PM

Re: HMC80 3.5mm mic input

Hi Bill

I'm running a bunch of Azden's on my cameras as well (HMC82's..which is the PAL unit)

Yes you can use the standard Azden cable but just make sure that they are the right way around with the mono plug in the receiver audio out and the stereo plug into the camera. Because you only are sending in mono you need to set the camera's channel switches to CH1 - Front and CH2 to Rear so your Azden signal will appear on the left channel.

On my setup all three of my Azden mic setups have the cables thrown in my junk box and I have made up 3.5mm to XLR cables for them instead, main because the output from the receivers is too high for the -70dba 3.5mm mic channel. Far better method and it works much better plus you have control of the signal level too!!!

Chris

Bill Rabkin September 8th, 2012 08:25 PM

Thanks, Chris. In addition to the wireless transmitter and receiver, my Azden has a handheld "stick" mic with a 3.5mm stereo plug. When I had no luck with the wireless, I plugged this mic directly into the HMC80's 3.5mm input jack. Still no sound...but I may have had both audio switches in the "Rear" position. I'll give it another go with the switches set as you recommended.

And as soon as I can find time, I'll make myself a 3.5mm-to-XLR cable. Thanks for the suggestion. What are the "pinouts" for the 3.5mm female and XLR male?

Thanks again,
Bill

Chris Harding September 8th, 2012 10:56 PM

Hi Bill

All Azden mics without a bias voltage need power and the 3.5mm input doesn't provide any !! I would still go for the XLR..that's all I use on both cameras.

Now Azden, despite being a mono signal use a balanced output loop to the stereo plug with XLR so use a stereo plug and take it to an XLR male plug as follows....ground on the stereo plug (the clamp thingy inside the jack plug must go to the XLR pin 1...then take the two L and R terminals out to XLR pins 2 and 3 (anyway around cos it's mono....You just need to realise that you need a two core + screen cable for Azden receivers out to XLR and all 3 terminals on the XLR's are used.

Set your channels both to rear and make sure that the input switch is set to mic and the phantom power is OFF...(Azden have their own bias power) They work very well with the XLR's on the HMC80 and I also have a Rode Videomic on each of my cameras ...also rewired for XLR!!!

Chris