DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic AC90 & TM900 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/514760-panasonic-ac90-tm900.html)

Phil Gadd March 4th, 2013 12:42 PM

Panasonic AC90 & TM900

I have just received my new Panny AG AC90 and wanted to somehow keep my TM900 for 'slider shots' with my konova 4ft slider (Sometimes indoors or outside but never both in the same day)

Is there any particular 'workflow' method I need to follow so 'post editing' doesn't become a nightmare?

Look forward to the responses.

Mike Beckett March 5th, 2013 08:20 AM

Re: Panasonic AC90 & TM900

Phil,

I would think if you keep them both to the same format (1080 50p) then you'd have no technical bother with it.

You may find different "looks" on each camera though. It might be possible to tweak the AC90's scene files if the TM900 isn't a close match. I'm assuming the TM900 doesn't have adjustable scene files.

#1 rule though. Just try it!

Phil Gadd March 5th, 2013 04:28 PM

Thanks Mike

hmm not sure what you mean by scene files.

I very really shoot in 50p, I thought that was for taking footage then slowing it down etc?

(feel very silly here now ha)

Mike Beckett March 5th, 2013 04:41 PM

Phil,

50p will give you really nice footage, even if you just render to DVD or 25p for YouTube etc. You will have the 50p originals in case you ever need them in future.

Ok, if you shoot 1080i, then make sure both cameras are in 1080i.

Re. Scene files. I think the ac90 has them. You can dial in a number of "looks" into your camera for different effects or shooting styles. E.g. Adjust the saturation, knee point, all sorts of scary things. Or you can just shoot "flat" or default and fiddle with the picture in post.

Phil Gadd March 6th, 2013 03:10 PM

Thanks Mike

I am going to take it with me to do some filming in the morning, I will Take both but was hoping I could just use the AC90.

Im doing a freebie for a friend so it a good 'test project'

Unfortunately, I am not confident enough to do this project using manual settings, I may have to go down the auto route (pity)

Mike Beckett March 6th, 2013 03:49 PM

Phil,

You have to start somewhere! See how auto goes, then you can add one new manual feature at a time until you're happy. And anyway, if a feature works well in auto, then why worry?

Just keep a special eye on the auto focus (though I believe it is pretty good on the AC90), and the auto-exposure if you have anything scary like a bright sky etc. If nothing else, learn to use the exposure tools (histogram and zebras, especially zebras!) so youc an see if anything bad is happening.

I'd also recommend Barry Green's AC90 book. Unfortunately for us UK people, the only real place to get it from is from the USA, from Amazon.com. It's not cheap, but they're always great guides. The manual tells you what - Barry tells you why.

Phil Gadd March 7th, 2013 01:50 AM

Thanks Mike

I have never used the zebra function before, or the histogram for that matter (probably because it wasnt on my other cameras.

Yeah I was hoping there was a nice little voucher with y camera for barry greens book (like our friends in the states get).. The book at amazon.com works out to £70, so I am waiting for an e-book of it (barry green is looking at this I believe)

Mike Beckett March 7th, 2013 03:40 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath for an eBook version Phil, Barry said that it was either too costly for him - Apple taking a huge slice - or too insecure.

Check with Holdan for UK stockists of the book. It is a very new book though, it might be too soon for it to be available here.

Phil Gadd March 7th, 2013 11:07 AM

Dont know why he just doesnt make a video Mike hee hee

Chris Harding March 7th, 2013 06:43 PM

Hi Phil

When I had my AC-130's I also asked Barry about an e-Book or DVD but his reason is that the scammers of the world would soon duplicate it very fast and sell it for a few dollars ...he has no protection with eBooks or videos sadly but printed material is less likely to be pirated.

The books are indeed good as the Panasonic manuals simply point out the controls and what they do..never how to use them so they are basically useless except for initial "button finding" Barry will tell you how to use a function and what it does ...very neat and well worth the high price just to get the most out of your camera.

Chris

Phil Gadd March 8th, 2013 01:00 PM

Hi Chris

I can see why he feels that way for sure.. Its a hefty £70 in the UK so think I will wait just a little longer to introduce myself to the manual functions on the AC90 etc

Mike Beckett March 8th, 2013 02:31 PM

I was lucky enough to be able to get my work to pay it as part of my personal development training! Otherwise it would have had to wait. It is expensive, but it's a pretty small print run I'd imagine, and it's an incredibly well produced book.

Phil Gadd March 10th, 2013 08:46 AM

Unfortunately working for myself I incur all costs at present.

Mike what did you think of the 'quick turnaround' video i posted on the other thread?

Mike Beckett March 11th, 2013 05:23 AM

Phil,

I did indeed check out the footage... sorry, I forgot to comment, sometimes I lose the will to type on the iPad and forget about it when I get back to a real keyboard!

The quality certainly looks good to my eyes. I assume you're happy with it? I'd actually love to see it head to head with my AC130 to see the difference. I think the 130 will cope better in low light, but the AC90 seems to pack a lot of punch for the price point.

Phil Gadd March 11th, 2013 07:58 AM

Ha Mike I know how you feel, I have an iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro and iMac to keep myself organised (doesn't always work I can tell you).

Yes, I can imagine the 130 is much better in low light. Ironically, someone has just asked me to film a kickboxing show, I am hesitant to say yes without testing it in that type of environment first I.e. filming from a balcony, low light but well lit ring etc.

Maybe I should start a thread here to get some advice