DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   NV-GS100K Frame grabs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/12167-nv-gs100k-frame-grabs.html)

Eng Yew Lee July 17th, 2003 09:24 PM

NV-GS100K Frame grabs

Check out http://engyew.home.comcast.net/NV-GS...creenshots.zip

File size is 2.7Mb. Screenshots of raw footage displayed in FCP viewer at 100%. Taken by SnapNDrag as 100% JPEG. All shots taken in fully automatic mode.

Picture 1 is still shot of scenery (sunny Castro Valley with diagonal fence). Picture 2 is fast pan across garden.

Oh. And if it looks hazy to you, it is because it is - welcome to the San Francisco Bay Area!!

Eng Yew

Eng Yew Lee July 17th, 2003 10:50 PM

Also here are night shots http://engyew.home.comcast.net/NV-GS100K_NightShots.zip

File size is 800K. For comparison I included a grab from my old Canon Elura, notice the grain and its performance in the dark is not any better.

What is not evident in the frame grabs is that with the Low Light mode any movement blurs significantly making it, IMO, unusable.

BTW. I love my original Elura, it even has optical image stablization (unlike the later generations).

Marius Burz July 18th, 2003 02:12 AM

Eng, I am a bit surprised...
In my opinion the shot taked with GS100K is clearly better than Elura's shot... Comparing GS100K wide mode to your Eura shot. Less grain and looks better. Are my eyes mistaking?

Patricia Kim July 18th, 2003 07:24 AM

Eng Yew, when you say the camcorder is unuseable in low light mode if there is any movement, are you talking about still photo as opposed to video mode? I've recorded on tape and SD card in fully auto, video mode outdoors at night using the night view/vision function and have found the GS100 to be light years ahead (no pun intended) of what I expected (keeping in mind, of course, that I haven't used any camcorders before this one). I don't have a web site, but just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, I'm sending you via e-mail two short clips. The fireworks were recorded on an SD card (you need Windows Media Player), the other clip was recorded on tape and cut down in iMovie then sent to Quick Time. These were just to test the range of the camcorder, so I know what to expect down the road. I think with a tripod, someone wanting to do higher level stuff might still get some satisfactory footage. But it's okay to tell me I'm crazy. That's how I'll find out if I am.

Eng Yew Lee July 18th, 2003 11:16 AM

Patricia,

You are right. Let me correct what I said: The MagicPix mode is, IMO, mostly useless. :)

Firstly, the camcorder does very well in normal/auto mode in low light conditions. In fact, it has very little grain in low light because of the 3CCDs and its built-in noise reduction.

The reason why MagicPix is *mostly* useless is because the camcorder lowers the shutter speed to 1/8 or 1/16 and hence causes movement to streak.

Your moon shot (which is very compressed) demonstrates that streakiness/stuttering which is fine on the moon and *absolutely* perfect for fireworks but really weird when you are shooting someone's face.

To see what I mean, check out http://panasonic.jp/dvc/DIGICAM/gs100k/ki_night.html

You can see that the girl's hands are blurred. So imagine that on the face and with every movement and pan.

Having said all that, I am only commenting on my needs and my statement is not a statement of comparison. I don't think any other consumer camcorder can do any better.

BTW. Having seen your footage, I really want to use the MagicPix mode for fireworks! Too bad the 4th of July is over!

Adarsh Dattani July 18th, 2003 12:18 PM

I'll be happy to be corrected here. But don't you need exactly the opposite (a high shutter speed) for fireworks ?

Alex Knappenberger July 18th, 2003 12:28 PM

Actually, macicpix mode slows the shutter speed down to 1/4... I've used it before on my camera, when I need it, where theres little light and I need a image, but thats it.

About fireworks, you don't really need a high high shutter speed, 1/60 or anything faster, would do for video, but if you want to make sharp framegrabs of fireworks you would want higher.

Eng Yew Lee July 18th, 2003 02:18 PM

How you want fireworks to look like is very subjective. Check out: http://www.howstuffworks.com/fireworks.htm

In photographs, long exposures allow the fireworks to appear as streaks. This would be *similar* to MagicPix.

Patricia Kim July 18th, 2003 07:06 PM

Eng Yew, the problems with the stuff I sent you are operator ignorance and limitations associated with transferring, compressing, or what have you images from dv tape. In addition to my not knowing what I'm doing with the camcorder and the editing software, nothing seems to look quite as good, from what I understand, as the tape itself played on your tv (in my case, a 42" hdtv) - and so far that's been true even of my efforts. So, I think people need to get testimony from those like yourself, but based on your footage, not mine. I wanted to ask, however, have you tried AE? I'm wondering if the presets help at all for the kind of thing you are talking about.If you decide to try it and can post some stills, let us know.

Marius Burz July 21st, 2003 03:24 PM

I finally have some shots on my PC.
I have converted them to MPEG2 best quality.

But the problem is that I have almost no space where to put them. Could someone help me with some space?

Frank Granovski July 21st, 2003 04:03 PM

I would but both my websites are maxed out.

Eng Yew Lee July 21st, 2003 04:40 PM

Marius,

If you like, I can stick them on my web site, like I did with my stuff. I get 25Mb free for each of my 7 email accounts with Comcast.

Marius Burz July 22nd, 2003 04:53 AM

So... I have 2 small AVIs, shot under this conditions:

it was recorded at 21:22 local time(+1 GMT)
white balance: preset outdoor
1/100
+8db
OIS: on
record mode: frame(progressive for video)
digital zoom: off
cinema mode: off

Who is interested, email me.

ciao,
marius

Tony Leung July 27th, 2003 07:00 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Patricia Kim : Eng Yew, when you say the camcorder is unuseable in low light mode if there is any movement, are you talking about still photo as opposed to video mode? I've recorded on tape and SD card in fully auto, video mode outdoors at night using the night view/vision function and have found the GS100 to be light years ahead (no pun intended) of what I expected (keeping in mind, of course, that I haven't used any camcorders before this one). I don't have a web site, but just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, I'm sending you via e-mail two short clips. The fireworks were recorded on an SD card (you need Windows Media Player), the other clip was recorded on tape and cut down in iMovie then sent to Quick Time. These were just to test the range of the camcorder, so I know what to expect down the road. I think with a tripod, someone wanting to do higher level stuff might still get some satisfactory footage. But it's okay to tell me I'm crazy. That's how I'll find out if I am. -->>>
Patricia,

I am also interested in GS100, may you please also email the sample clip to me. Thanks a lot!

Way Keong August 6th, 2003 09:57 AM

Hi Marius,

I would like to see the AVI samples... Could you send to my email address: waykeong@myrealbox.com, capacity:10MB.

Thanks a Lot.

Best Regards,
Way Keong