DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   MX5000/5000 vs GS70 - How big is the difference really? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/12663-mx5000-5000-vs-gs70-how-big-difference-really.html)

Joao Oliveira July 31st, 2003 01:53 AM

MX5000/5000 vs GS70 - How big is the difference really?

Hi there,

I have read many reviews and opinions about both these models, but opinios diverge and unfortunately I don't have a chance to compare the video quality side by side to make up my own mind.

Bad things that I here about the GS70 are:
1. EIS - How bad is it really?
2. Sharpness - How much less compared with the MX? Is it really noticeable on a 25"/29" TV?
3. LCD - This I could verify. You really need to look at it at the right angle, otherwise the image turns to c**p.

For me the LCD is not a deal breaker. Sharpness and EIS are more critical.

I really like them both, but I believe that with the MX, the camera would stay at home on more occasions than if I have the GS70. Considering also the price difference, around $400, is the MX really worth the additional $$$?

I guess that in 3-4 year, the current cams will be obsolete anyway. Hopefully if I buy the camera, it will last at least that long.

Frank Granovski July 31st, 2003 02:03 AM

The GS70 only has, what is it, 290K video effective pixels. The MX5 has over twice that. Yes, the resolution will be higher with the MX5/953. Plus, the GS70 does not have OIS. Bummer.

Bogdan Vaglarov July 31st, 2003 08:00 AM

I think GS70 is lovely and very portable cam. If you have the habit to 'dissect' the image each time you look at your holiday video than the MX is for you.

In many respects you wouldn't see big gap - it all matters what you will use the cam for.

Marius Burz July 31st, 2003 11:30 AM

GS70 is much smaller than GS100, so much more smaller than MX5000. I've seen it today in a shop, and compared it with my GS100. It has a much smaller LCD and doesn't feel that good in the hand like the GS100. About it's performance I can't comment, mut I sure it's quite a difference.

Frank Granovski July 31st, 2003 06:02 PM

The PAL GS100 is out in Germany?

Marius Burz July 31st, 2003 06:35 PM

No Frank, it is not, only the NTSC version which came from japan ;)

Allan Rejoso August 2nd, 2003 03:54 AM

If you have played with the MX5K/953 and GS70 and seen their footages side by side, you'd better appreciate their gap (even my 9-year old can and I'm not exaggerating).

Otherwise, what you don't know and see probably wouldn't hurt.

IMO, the extra dollar/euro/yen for the MX5K/953 is worth it.

In fairness to the GS70, it's really compact, very nice to hold and carry around, AND, I noticed less smearing (of light source) in low-light compared to the MX5K.

Bogdan Vaglarov August 2nd, 2003 11:39 AM

Well I have the Video Club Deluxe magazine where you can compare GS70 and MX5000 side by side. I personaly can't justify the gap in the price for the gap in the image. I don't say MX is not supperior but it depends who/how you use the cam.

Now I have in home GS100 and although I'm very happy with it I have few observations.

OIS is good but in full tele I dare to say GS70 is doing better. GS70 disables it's EIS during zoom which is not pleasent after 5x but once you release the zoom controler the image is really well stabilized. I couldn't manage to do that with the GS100.

May be weakest point of GS100 is it's battery life - very short. GS70 and MX are better.

LCDs are comparable as resolution and readability, just GS70 have small one. When you get used to it you'll be fine. VX2000 and other high end cams also have 2.5" displays. All Pana we are talking about have very poor viewfinder.

And for the end - if I had to buy cam only for family/leisure I yould go with GS70 and save some buck.

Frank Granovski August 2nd, 2003 02:52 PM

It all boils down to price. You pay more for the MX5, you get more.

Allan Rejoso August 2nd, 2003 05:47 PM

I always compare cams side by side by viewing their raw footages. That way, I can set-up the cams to my liking and as identical as possible, and more importantly, actually hold the cams. IMO, that's is how you'd readily see the difference between cams, but I also read (for free - LOL) all video mags I can get hold of.

Actually, the LCD of the GS70 has much lower resolution (110K) but because its also polysilicon type and only 2.5" in size, it's ok.