DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Flare problems on GS100 with filter attached? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/13830-flare-problems-gs100-filter-attached.html)

Aylwin Cal August 27th, 2003 05:44 PM

Flare problems on GS100 with filter attached?

I don't know. I'm just asking.

The lens of the GS100 is quite recessed but when a filter is attached the glass is up front with no protection from the sun. The same is true when a wide angle converter is attached. I figure this could case problems when filming outdoors under sunny conditions.

I haven't had a chance to try this out yet though. Does anyone have any experience with this? Are there any lens hood options for the GS100?

Patricia Kim August 27th, 2003 06:58 PM

Aylwin, Allan suggested in another thread that you can install your filter (presumably UV or skylight?) over the hood that comes with the GS100k. For adding the wide angle, you have to remove the hood - however, you can still put your filter (again, uv or skylight) between the original lens and the WA. Just make sure your filter is deep enough to hold the WA without damaging either. Hoods are really a problem, and if you find one in Japan that will work with the wide angle, let the rest of us know. I told supervideo he can do us all a service by making sure Panasonic knows this needs to be addressed.

Allan Rejoso August 27th, 2003 09:30 PM

Alwyn,

I'm not familiar with Nagoya, but you should have at least 1 big electronic (camera) shop somewhere in that major city.

Third party rubber hoods are available in big stores in Tokyo in all shapes and sizes and they're very very reasonably priced.

But first things first, please get yourself a JPY1,200 Kenko MC Protector or MC-UV filter and protect you most valued lens immediately. If you're shooting under super bright Japan skies, then use a Kenko Pro ND4 filter. It also costs JPY1,200.

Regards
Allan

Aylwin Cal August 28th, 2003 12:28 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Patricia, my GS100 didn't come with any lens hood. But I have already installed a filter.

Yes, Allan, it's the Kenko MC-UV. Just got it the other day from one big camera shop. :-)

Lately, the weather hasn't been very good so I haven't had a chance yet to shoot outside when it's sunny.

I still have to figure out the lens hood though. I don't remember seeing any lens hoods at the shop that would fit. But then the front part of the GS100 isn't very accommodating. You immediately have the manual focus ring which would make mounting a hood quite difficult. I'll keep looking...

Allan, if you find a suitable one in Tokyo I (and I'm sure a lot of others) would appreciate the heads up. Likewise, if I find one I'll let everyone know.

Cheers,
Aylwin

Allan Rejoso August 28th, 2003 12:55 AM

.....my GS100 didn't come with any lens hood. But I have already installed a filter.

Huh? You must be mistaken Aylwin. The front part of your cam (where the Leica Dicomar is marked) is actually a lens hood screwed onto the lens barrel. It also serves to conceal the diminutive lens of the GS100. Try unscrewing the hood and you'll see quite an eyesore (LOL)...but the cam performs so well for its price...so no problem!

The best thing to do is to bring your cam to the shop and find/try the rubber hood that fits best.

Patricia Kim August 28th, 2003 12:55 AM

Aylwin, are you sure about the hood? It doesn't look like any other hood I've ever seen, I'll admit. But look at the lens to see if there seems to be an oblong frame around it. If there is, that is the hood. It is actually a separate piece and can be unscrewed and removed. It's not a problem if you're just adding your filter on top of it. But if you want to add the wide angle, you should remove the hood (for one thing, it will interfere with the view you get from the wide angle). This is, by the way, in accordance with the instructions in the manual, so I really would expect your camcorder to have come with the hood, since it is supposed to have been part of the basic package.

Frank Granovski August 28th, 2003 02:41 AM

Those new Pana lenses are small because they're Leica---expensive, (lol). I looked at a GS50 and a TRV22 today. The TRV22 lens is so much bigger, lol, even though these 2 cams are roughly the same size, lol. The Sony has the bigger, 1/4" CCD (verses a 1/6 incher), lol, but it has only 340K video effective pixels. (Lol.) :)

But the TRV22 also has an expensive lens: Zeiss. (Lol.)

:)

Frank Granovski August 28th, 2003 02:49 AM

For flare-less 540 line performance from your GS100, please remove z Pana lens hood. Screw on z adaptor. Don't put a filter on it, but instead, get yourself a honkin' big after market anti-flare hood, and screw 'er on. :)

Patricia Kim August 28th, 2003 03:13 AM

So, Frank, does this mean you've moved into the ranks of those advocating no filter use?

Frank Granovski August 28th, 2003 03:34 AM

No. I always keep a filter on on all my camcorders and all my SLR lenses. But sometimes filters can cause flaring, ghosting and vignetting. But a honkin' big lens hood should take care of the sun, plus add some protection to the lens and/or adaptor.

Patricia Kim August 28th, 2003 03:47 AM

Well, I had no filter and the hood that comes with the camera was on (of course, it's not honkin' big) when I got veiled flaring, so...

Frank Granovski August 28th, 2003 04:30 AM

Another anti-flare technique is to screw on a filter, lens hood or no lens hood, and make sure z sun is behind you. :)

Aylwin Cal August 28th, 2003 06:14 AM

Yes, I am mistaken! I didn't realise that that part could be unscrewed. I thought it was just a natural part of the camera casing. There's more to this cam than meets the eye.

Allan, you're right though. It's not the prettiest sight. :)

I guess when I think of "lens hood" I automatically think of a big black rubber/plastic cup. :)

This is really good info for me. At least now I have some idea of what type of lens hood I need. Without the included lens hood coming off I'd have no idea how a 3rd party one could be attached. :)

Okay, off the local camera store this weekend...

Allan Rejoso August 31st, 2003 06:28 AM

Aylwin,

Metal lens hood 43mm (Black or Silver): HANSA brand JPY1,400

Rubber lens hood 43mm : MINETTE brand JPY400

Source: Bic Camera Tokyo

Aylwin Cal August 31st, 2003 04:17 PM

Thanks for the info!

Only JPY400 for a lens hood? Amazing! There doesn't seem to be as many choices here in Nagoya.

Anyway, I'll try to have a look the next time I'm in Tokyo. And I should also buy you a beer. :)

Randall E. Drapeau September 2nd, 2003 09:41 AM

With indoor shots with my MX5000 I (think) I was experiencing lens flare. I thought my lens was dirty so I used a camera lens cloth. Also, I was using a Raynox wide angle conversion lens.

At Bic Camera I couldn't find a lens hood for the wide angle adaptor in the video section so I went down to the digital camera section and found one there. So, I would recommend that part of any big electronics store. I also found a nice, cheap mono pod there, as well.

Does lens flare look like you have spots on your lens? I haven't shot anything yet with the hood on to see if that solves the problem. Other than this I really like this cam. The picture is very nice and the digital stills are great.

That new, smaller version is quite nice too in silver and black! Panasonic seems to be pushing these quite a bit now over the MX5000.