DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   How to format new SD card in GS100 ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/14685-how-format-new-sd-card-gs100.html)

Alex Zabrovsky September 18th, 2003 10:00 AM

How to format new SD card in GS100 ?

Trying to figure how to format new card inserted into GS100. So far didn't find reference to this operation ni translated stuff.

Alex

Paul Jason September 18th, 2003 11:02 AM

Put your camera in the card mode. This is done by pulling down on the on/off switch two more times after turning the camera on. The yellow/orange LED will light up. Push the grey button in the middle of the jog wheel. A menu will pop up on the screen and have numbers 1. 2. 3. 4. use the jog wheel the highlight number 2 then push the jog wheel down. (NOT THE GREY BUTTON) another menu will pop up with 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. use the jog wheel again and scroll down to 6 push the jog wheel down again. IT will ask you yes or no. use the jog wheel to highlight yes and it's all done. Push the grey button again to get out of the menus.

BTW yes is the bottom one:-))

Samuel Raj September 18th, 2003 11:06 AM

I dont think you need to format the new SD card, It comes preformated!
Just plug it in and use it, which SD card it is, Panasonic or lexar or sandisk?

Paul Jason September 18th, 2003 03:56 PM

Thanks Samuel, I should have thought to ask that before I went into the how to. I was thinking he bought one and wanted to know how to format it. Oh well.......

Alex Zabrovsky September 19th, 2003 04:03 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate your help.
Managed already to take a picture on the card without format procedure, so I guess it indeed came pre-formatted.

Nevertheless will have to know how to do that for a new card I'm considering to acquire in some near future.

More question will follow.... :-)

Alex

Samuel Raj September 19th, 2003 05:37 PM

Alex,
You dont need to 'format' any new(any brand) SD card, unless it was formatted by other system or other brand camcorder or some data capture or reading errors with the card.

SD itself a format :-)

The camera wont access properly the SD cards formatted by other machines.

You should not write data to the SD card, if u use any card reader, through your computer.

You can read the SD card using a card reader or any device, but SHOULD NOT write data to an SD card from a computer.

Any write access(including the formating,deleting files,writing files etc.) should be through the camcorder, you are using.

Alex Zabrovsky September 20th, 2003 01:16 AM

Thanks Samuel, i realized that reading users comment. The camera apparently requires certain data structure on card that is propritary for Panasonic (or this cam specifically).

Regards, Alex