DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   More questions on GS100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/14766-more-questions-gs100.html)

Alex Zabrovsky September 20th, 2003 01:38 AM

More questions on GS100

More questions on GS100:

1. I noticed in photoshot stills menu there si only two options for stills size to choose from: 2048x1512 and VGA size (640x480) and also three levels of Picture Quality:
High res. (FIne) Medium (Normal) and Low
(Economy).
I've heard people do not recommend using the all 3.1 MP for still but rather lower for better percieved image quality.
Since there is no other choices in Size, I guess I have to stick with 2048x1512, but then should I set to Normal quality ?

What is the recommended setup for stills to achieve best quality possible out of this machine ? (besides of Progressive photoshot - already set it ON).

2. Yesterday tried Cinema-like Format Recording - looked on my TV just like ading upper and lower black fields with (letterbox) with no any percieved difference in vertical/horizontal resolution on the screen (just cutting the picture form top and bottom).
Where is much-talked 16x9 ?

Disclaimer: I'm connected through AV rather then S-Video and my TV is of the simplest (and cheapest) kind - no wide format (16x9) available (but I would still expect image to to altered on teh TV screen in terms of aspect ratio towards 16x9).

3. Frame mode.
This belongs to Recording Mode setup.
I see this setting is blocked (blued), and the translation says in is for still picture playback. What is this one ?
I inted to try out progressive mode for video recording and got the feeling this should be done by setting Frame Mode.
What did I wrong ?

Allan, I hope you will be able to clarify the points, as well other lucky users of GS100.

4. There are several wide-related video recording modes: Wide Mode, Cinema mode and Pro Cinema mode.
What are the differences between each other ? Which one gives 16x9, which is just plain letterbox ?

Regards, Alex

Paul Jason September 20th, 2003 10:21 AM

1. I best leave that one to someone else.

2. Yesterday tried Cinema-like Format Recording - looked on my TV just like ading upper and lower black fields with (letterbox) with no any percieved difference in vertical/horizontal resolution on the screen..........

What you are looking for is the Pro cinema mode. It's labeled Wide Pro Cinema. Push it two times and you will see a difference.

3. Frame mode.
This belongs to Recording Mode setup.
I see this setting is blocked (blued), and the translation says in is for still picture playback. What is this one ?
I inted to try out progressive mode for video recording and got the feeling this should be done by setting Frame Mode.
What did I wrong ?

Frank posted here info about frame mode http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14672&highlight=frame+mode
If you are trying to turn on frame mode, It's in the camera set-up menu. If it's blue, check and see if progressive photoshot mode (in the same menu) is set to on. The only way I could get the option to come on is to have progressive photoshot mode set to auto or off.

4. There are several wide-related video recording modes: Wide Mode, Cinema mode and Pro Cinema mode.
What are the differences between each other ? Which one gives 16x9, which is just plain letterbox.

Allan told me this about the different modes: (by pressing that button one at a time, cam mode toggles between Normal 4:3 Interlaced, Wide Mode Interlaced and Procinema (Wide + Frame Mode + Cinelike gamma + 6dB Bass Enhancer) Allan,I hope you don't mind me posting this.

Alex Zabrovsky September 20th, 2003 11:53 AM

Thanks Paul, understood.
Allan has replied me already by email explaining the things - great service.
What I'm not sure yet is how useful Pro Cinema agains Wide mode.
Right now I have just basic TV set with no wide screen, neither progressive modes (just plain regular cheap TV).
I already distinguished between regular and Wide mode (as well both Cinema), wide indeed alters aspect ratio as expected, too bad I have no such option on TV.
I indeed set stills photoshot mode to progressive as default, perhaps this indeed
blocks out Frame mode option, though still do not understand why (can't Frame mode be used for video ?)

Otherwise how to imply frame (prigressive-like )video recording ? (do ai have to cancel prog. photoshot before ?)

If setting prograssive photoshot to Auto, how it will operate ?

Alex

Paul Jason September 20th, 2003 01:28 PM

I am not sure why it blocks it out. Yes frame mode can be used for video. If you set the photoshot mode to auto then go and set the cam to frame mode I think you will get the look you are looking for. One more fun thing when you feel comfortable doing it is, putting the cam in manual mode and mess around with the color saturation and sharpness. You can get the video looking really nice. A little like Pro cinema mode but in 4X3 Not that the camera doesn't put out nice video now.

Alex Zabrovsky September 20th, 2003 01:36 PM

Do we have a control over sharpness in GS100 (like on DV953) ?
I didn't know that. How about a default sharpness set by the cam ? Do yuo think it is a bit over (as many DV953 users complained) ?

Alex

Paul Jason September 20th, 2003 01:45 PM

Yes we do have control over sharpness and color on the GS100. After putting the camera in manual mode under the camera funtions menu click 1 then on the next menu click 2. This will get you to where you want to be. Yes I think the default setting is a bit sharp. setting it to less than default looks better. but thats just MHO. I got to hit the road. Long trip today. I'll check back in when I get to a phone. Have a great weekend.

Alex Zabrovsky September 20th, 2003 02:11 PM

Thanks Paul, but couldn't figure that the way you described. Can you elaborate ?

Have a nice trip, Alex

Allan Rejoso September 20th, 2003 05:56 PM

Set the Cam to Manual Mode

Bring out my Cheat Sheets (CAMERA FUNCTIONS 1st Page)

Go to Menu No. 2 ADVANCED FUNCTIONS

Got to Sub-Menu No. 2 PICTURE ADJUSTMENT, Set it to YES

Two Sub-Submenus will appear: Top Sub-submenu is DETAIL/SHARPNESS, Botton Sub-submenu is COLOR INTENSITY. Use the Jogwheel (Press) to toggle between Sub-Submenus, Rotate the Jogwheel to adjust the levels. You'd see the indicator move up and down as you rotate the Jogwheel.

Allan Rejoso September 20th, 2003 06:42 PM

GS100K'S Progressive Photoshot is relevant only for stills.

Setting Progressive to AUTO allows you to activate certain functions which would otherwise be totally DISABLED if Progressive is set to ON. When those functions are enabled, Progressive is automatically disabled (P symbol will be gone from the LCD). Why they can't function together at the same time - I don't know. Those functions are as follows:

Zooming beyond 10x (Digital Zoom)
Shutter speed from 1/750 and faster
Multi PinP
Digital Effects
Frame Mode

When either of the Wide Modes are activated you cannot use Progressive. When you want to use Progressive and make it look wide, use Cinema Mode.

Even if you disable Progressive, when you switch to Card Mode, it is automatically enabled.

If the Flash is set to off, Progressive mode may automatically deactive if the light level is not sufficient. P symbol blinks in such case.

Alex Zabrovsky September 21st, 2003 01:26 AM

So Allan, if setting Prog Photoshot to Auto, recording video in Frame mode (Prog Photoshot is disabled) then switching to Card - it will enable prog Photoshot again ?

Alex

Allan Rejoso September 21st, 2003 06:24 AM

Alex, the cam is already on your hand, thus you are in a better position than I to verify right away. Anyway, according to the manual, whenever you switch to card mode, progressive photoshot is automatically activated. It's very easy to verify. When progressive is activated a P symbol is displayed on the LCD.

Please try it.

Alex Zabrovsky September 21st, 2003 12:07 PM

Oh, sorry, sometimes my finger type faster then brain processes the information. :-)

Thanks anyway, Alex

Paul Jason September 21st, 2003 11:01 PM

Sorry Alex about the confusing post. I was late getting out and in a big hurry. After reading the post again it confused me:-)) Thank you Allan for setting everything right.
My trip went well just long.