DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   DV53 won't record in VCR Mode? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/15368-dv53-wont-record-vcr-mode.html)

John Britt October 5th, 2003 11:00 AM

DV53 won't record in VCR Mode?

Just started using my DV53 as a play/record deck and I noticed that the record button does nothing in VCR mode. Is this typical, or a malfunction?

Premiere's "export to tape" function will get the camera to record, but I cannot manually make the DV53 record by simply pressing the red rec. button. . Since the owner's manual makes no mention of using the Rec function in VCR mode, I assume that my cam is functioning properly. Can anyone verify this?

Frank Granovski October 5th, 2003 02:45 PM

What would you want the record button to do in VCR mode? It has no function.

I would stick with the manual's instructions and don't worry about the record button (in VCR mode).

John Britt October 5th, 2003 03:01 PM

Frank

Recording in VCR mode is used to put my final edit onto miniDV -- pc to firewire to cam. Higher end cams can record in VCR mode, but then again they also have analog inputs.

In some situations, it would preferable for me to be able to record to miniDV by just playing the timeline instead of using "export to tape." In those situations, I need to be able to manually control the record function. Unfortunately, it's one advantage to using my DVC80 as a record deck.

Since the DV53 can obviously record from firewire while in VCR mode (by using "Export to Tape"), I was curious if I could manually control it as well.

Frank Granovski October 5th, 2003 03:57 PM

With my older JVC 1 CCD cams, I use the remote for a lot of these functions. One time I pressed the cam's record button 'to stop' (by accident), and nothing happened. I just found that for the advanced fuctions, I had to follow the manual's instructions. There are so many steps sometimes, that if I don't follow the cam manual's instructions, I screw up and have to begin again. Too bad camcorders aren't easier to use like with my manual SLR.

John Britt October 5th, 2003 04:19 PM

Unfortunately, the DV53 doesn't have a remote and the instructions don't say anything about recording while in VCR mode -- and from that I infer that the Rec. button is inoperable in VCR mode.

Frank Granovski October 5th, 2003 04:33 PM

I know. I'm off topic. I was trying to make a point: not to worry about this and stick with instructions. That's the only way to find out how to do specific operations with your cam.

John Britt October 5th, 2003 08:31 PM

I agree -- I'm a firm believer in RTFM.

Unfortunately, many manufacturers' manuals don't tell the whole story -- hence the proliferation of third party "how to use"/"missing manual" books.

From experience, I know that just because a manual doesn't specifically say that something can be done, doesn't mean that it's impossible. Such as with the DV53 manual. Of course, maybe I'm too used to computer hardware/software situations, where the third-party aftermarket manual is usually the best (and sometimes the only) way to properly learn what you need to know.

Since the DV53 manual doesn't specifically address this question, I wasn't sure if I might have a malfunctioning record button. I doubt it, but you never know...

I can work around not having a manually operable record function on the DV53, but I wish it was more like the DVC80 in that respect. But since this camera cost me less than $300 (including shipping), I'm really not going to complain about it...

Yow Cheong Hoe October 7th, 2003 07:34 AM

It is kind of strange, but there is no VCR Record button on the MX8, MX300/350 and MX500 on the camera body. The remote control is a must to manually record in VCR mode. I have explorer the GS and GX series here in Singapore, and they, too, need the remote.