DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   GS100 US Availability (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/15576-gs100-us-availability.html)

Min-Chin Hsiao October 9th, 2003 10:13 PM

GS100 US Availability

I have look around the forum but didn't seem to see anything. Does anyone know when GS100 will be available in the US?

I have a friend who is traveling back to Japan for holiday and I was thinking of asking her to buy it for me. However, I am worried if the Japan model would have warranty/repair issue here in the US. I am okay with the Japanese menu and stuff.

It seems that many consumer electronic stuff have a specific US warranty, which is not the same as their International Warranty (International warranty is not honored in the US). At least that is what I learnt in Digital Camera market.

Thanks for any info.

Min

Frank Granovski October 10th, 2003 01:36 AM

C.L.

Welcome to DV Info!

What's your question? Availability? The GS100 is not out in N.A. or PALsville---just in Japan. For warranty work it has to go back to Japan.

Min-Chin Hsiao October 11th, 2003 07:55 AM

I am aware of that fact..... that's why I ask when it will be available in the US....

Min

Frank Granovski October 11th, 2003 03:16 PM

If it becomes available in the USA, it will appear in the spring/late spring, most likely. Perhaps e-mail Pana USA and ask them. (They love these kinds of questions.) :)

Mark Meytin November 21st, 2003 01:25 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : If it becomes available in the USA, it will appear in the spring/late spring, most likely. Perhaps e-mail Pana USA and ask them. (They love these kinds of questions.) :) -->>>

I was hoping for an earlier date, but I did follow your advice and asked them. The answer is not at all surprising :)

---

Dear Mr. Meytin

Thank you for your inquiry. Although we would like to help you, our organization is only qualified to respond to questions about products sold in the United States. We have no information on this product or when/if it is going to be released to the United States.

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support

---

-M-

Frank Granovski November 21st, 2003 04:12 PM

Yup. That's what I expected. No surprise. Welcome to DV Info, Mark.

Mark Meytin November 21st, 2003 09:21 PM

Thanks for the welcome - I've actually been lurking around here for a while. I've purchased a PV-GS70 yesterday, but I may still take it back and exchange it for PV-DV953. OIS and better manual controls may win over more compact size. I was quietly hoping for GS100, but the difference between GS100 and PV-DV953 is not, IMHO, substantial to warrant the wait and uncertainty associated with GS100 purchase. I may still opt for Canon Optura Xi though - I feel that it is comparable to PV-DV953 in many respects.

-M-

Stewart Fountain November 21st, 2003 09:38 PM

Mark,

Please let us know what you decide to do. I am in the same boat. I can't wait for the GS100K to come to the US, I don't think I want to deal with Japanese menus and warranty (though I really like Allan - what a great guy!) I have set my sites on the 953 but the Xi keeps lurking in my peripheral vision. Must...not...look...at...Canon,...must...resist.......

-Stewart

Frank Granovski November 21st, 2003 09:45 PM

The PV-DV953 is already a "compact" size.

Allan Rejoso noticed the Xi's video quality is better than the PV-DV953's; Tommy Haupfear noticed the reverse. I think they are both nice cams, and both suck light; but the 953 has 3 CCDs and build quality seems a lot more solid. My choice would be the 953. Besides, I like frame mode. :)

Brian De Leenheer November 23rd, 2003 02:54 PM

My 2 cents - I have tried the 953 and Optura Xi and found the 953 superior in every respect. The Xi had nice colour but was very poor in normal indoor lighting. The autofocus hunted around like crazy and it seemed to me to need a lot more light than the 953. I also found that while panning indoors, the image would go very fuzzy and would then sharpen up after the camera stopped. I only had a couple of days with each camera but from my playing around I was very unimpressed with the Xi. Too bad because from what I had read, I was expecting to buy one.

Brian

R. Scott Hanson December 12th, 2003 12:17 PM

I heard in a forum on camcorderinfo.com that the DV953 will be replaced in 2004, with news to be announced at CES on January 7:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t34485.html

[note: http://www.cesweb.org/ says Jan 8-11]

I wonder if a US version of the GS100 will be announced then? Will it replace the DV953? I think the main thing I'm interested in is whether the low light problem will be fixed.

I've been on the fence about a Japanese GS100 model, the DV953, the GS70, the Canon Optura Xi, or a Sony TRV70 (don't like the TRV950's touchscreen and the pro Canons are too big, but I still want pro/broadcast quality). I wanted a new camcorder for Christmas but I guess it makes sense to wait until Jan...

Tommy Haupfear December 12th, 2003 01:56 PM

Quote:

I've been on the fence about a Japanese GS100 model, the DV953, the GS70, the Canon Optura Xi, or a Sony TRV70
You can drop the Xi off your list. I've had it and the DV953 and I agree with the post before yours on how superior the DV953 is.

North American GS100k? Would be nice but not very typical of Matsushita.

Stewart Fountain December 12th, 2003 03:15 PM

Tommy,

I dropped the Xi off my list long ago.

I was surprised to see you returned your 953! I'm still on the fence between the 953 and the GS100K with the GS70 and "something" new next year (i.e. January). I've been talking to the great people selling the GS100K. They told me that the GS70 has the exact same optics as the 953 and that if I don't need the extra MP on the stills that I should consider spending less on the GS70, plus it's smaller. I know there are other differences, though, and I think I am pretty well set on the 953 or the GS100K.

After talking with the GS100K people most of my fears have been taken care of. Everybody says that the extended warranties are worthless and to just put aside the money I would spend on one and use it for an unlikely repair in the future. That does seem to make sense. Also, they said that 99% of the time you never use the menus so the Japanese is not really a big deal at all. OK, I understand that too. The last thing they said is that I should get the Panasonic coated wide angle because putting cheap glass in front of the multicoated lens defeats its purpose. The GS100K and accessories are more expensive that I thought but still way less than a Sony PC330 or a G2. I tend to get stuck in the "little more" syndrome - Just a little more and I will get something better. I "little more'd" myself up from a $500 TRV-22 already! LOL

Seeing people walking around with all those smaller Sharps and Sony matchbox cams makes me really feel like I would probably take the smaller GS100K out more than the 953. Heck, I don't take my Canon G3 out enough cause it's like carrying a brick around!

My bottom line is that I won't be happy with video quality less than the 953\GS100K and I have to start filming in March. That gives me 2.5 months to buy and learn and practice before I have to start filming interviews for real.

This is really tough.

-Stewart

Tommy Haupfear December 12th, 2003 04:01 PM

Quote:

was surprised to see you returned your 953!
Only to upgrade to the Sony PDX10. :)

I've been racking my brain over another DV953 purchase or the GS100k. I've even considered getting a GS70 and DV852 for the same price as the GS100k and DV953.

My brain hurts!

Mark Meytin December 15th, 2003 10:25 AM

953 vs. GS70 Optics

<<<-- Originally posted by Stewart Fountain :
[...]
I've been talking to the great people selling the GS100K. They told me that the GS70 has the exact same optics as the 953 and that if I don't need the extra MP on the stills that I should consider spending less on the GS70, plus it's smaller. [...]
-->>>

Actually, I don't think the optics are the same for these camcorders. The following is taken from the specifications section in respective manuals:

PV-DV953:
Lens: Auto Iris, F1.6,
Focal Length; 2.85-28.5 mm, Macro (Full Range AF)
Filter Diameter: 43 mm

PV-GS70:
Lens: Auto Iris, F1.8,
Focal Length; 2.45-24.5 mm, Macro (Full Range AF)
Filter Diameter: 37 mm

So, it appears that the 953 has somewhat brighter lens, plus of course it takes larger diameter filters and add-on lenses.

-M-