DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Mx500, is it faulty? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/20782-mx500-faulty.html)

Ayosha Kononenko February 3rd, 2004 09:03 AM

Mx500, is it faulty?

It looks like I might got a lemon.

There is a visible banding on TV screen, most visible when the subject is light grey, even and out of focus, like sky today in London.

It looks like interference with horizontal bands (all grey on grey) floating and crawling up and down the screen. They are not entirely horizontal but rather curved slightly around the centre of the screen. The bands are widest in the middle and narrowing towards top and bottom of the screen.

To eliminate as many factors as possible I mounted the camera on tripod, turned off stabilisation, set it into manual mode, 1/50, manual focus, 0 gain.

MX500 is connected to TV via composite (three coloured plugs) plugged into the front of Panasonic TV. Mode is REC/PAUSE. What I see on TV is what camera sees. No tape in the signal chain. (The same effect is present when tape recorded and played).

It makes no difference how and where it is focused. The effect is more noticeable when out of focus because it is not masked by details.

The effect is not influenced by the iris position but rather by the amount of light. I confirmed that by setting various shutter speeds. The effect is not influenced by the amount of gain.

The effect is mostly influenced by the amount of light. The lighter the colour the wider the bands, the middle would be 2" max for very light grey, going down to 1/4" as I close the iris, to disappear when iris closed.

At the light overload (iris fully open and gain up) the bands almost disappear but not quite.

I will try to see the effect on a different TV just to eliminate that factor. I will try to view the tape on Sony camcorder.

Have any of you noticed any such interference?

Have no means at the moment to capture it into my PC nor to see it on its screen. The gear hasn't arrived yet.

Ayosha Kononenko February 3rd, 2004 12:12 PM

It isn't

Just back from my friend's house. We tried the MX500 on his TV through his composite cable through Scart adapter into VHS video.

No interference of that type. We tried my cable as well. Therefore it must be my TV. I am expecting DVD box tomorrow with all kinds of inputs and outputs, will have to buy some cabling. More tests tomorrow.

I was impressed how close to the lens MX will still focus. Quite a useful macro there.

Guy Bruner February 3rd, 2004 12:14 PM

Ayosha,
It sounds like power line interference or perhaps a floating ground. Does the picture stay the same with the camcorder on battery or disconnected from the TV? (I presume your are running on the AC supply.)

Have you tried a reset...the switch is a little push button on the right side of the camera near the speaker (on the 953).

Ah, I see we posted about the same time. Glad to hear it's not the camera. You may have voltage on your ground lead coming from the TV...

Ayosha Kononenko February 3rd, 2004 12:57 PM

Hi Guy,

I expect to rewire TV "tower" (yeah, I know, it is growing) tomorrow for DVD box, will check all the grounds.

I am glad as well, I realy hate to return the stuff.

Bogdan Vaglarov February 3rd, 2004 01:23 PM

This effect is called moare. Isn't it in different colors?

My parent's in low had their TV 'repaired' the moare vanished but now there is soft focus in the left side corners.

Tommy Haupfear February 3rd, 2004 03:09 PM

I will concur that the MX500/DV953 has an unbelievable macro function. I often found the lens bumping into the subject.

Let us know how it all works out.

Allan Rejoso February 3rd, 2004 08:24 PM

...I often found the lens bumping into the subject.

That's why Pany provided your GS100 with a Tele Macro function. You can easily light up the subject too (if necessary).

Tommy Haupfear February 3rd, 2004 09:08 PM

Good point Allan and a feature I often overlook.

Ayosha Kononenko February 5th, 2004 01:26 PM

It is my TV's problem, positive. There is moiré on composite and violet horizontal bands on RGB (all tested with new DVD box).

Compared the same gear on newish Bush wide screen and MX500 produced some really nice footage (DVD box too).

So new telly next. And it has to be 100Hz.

My new DV/DVD hobby proves to be quite pricey so far and camera is less than half the cost. And I am yet to get quality editing software.

Alex Lake February 5th, 2004 05:15 PM

What software?

Are you planning on using Mac or PC? I'm considering buying an entry-level eMac (£500+VAT) for doing this. I would add an external firewire DVD + - RW drive later and (maybe) upgrade to FCX/FCP in due course, but it's a nice low entry price...

Ayosha Kononenko February 7th, 2004 07:00 AM

Hi Alex,

I already have PC as I have always been involved with PCs, and never had or used Mac. Just accident of history.

Just added 160GB disk and DVD burner. It is a home-made make with P4 and 1 Gb memory. Should be fast enough.

It looks Final Cut is your only option now. Beware, not all versions work on all OS versions (just learned that from a friend of mine, she is a professional video editor, uses only Mac).