DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Sony user making the jump to Pana need help?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/21361-sony-user-making-jump-pana-need-help.html)

Kristin Tripp Caldwell February 14th, 2004 05:01 PM

Sony user making the jump to Pana need help?!

after endless late night thinking and reading at this forum, DV.com.. etc. I think i am finally convinced that i should sell my Sony VX2000 and buy two Pana. cameras a small 3 chip for everyday use and a larger one for short films, jobs , etc. I am new to the Panasonic product line (been using Sony cams for over 10 yrs) and am a bit baffled. Here are a few questions if anyone out there has the answers it would be GREAT...

1.) on the Panasonic web site i have been looking at the consumer 3 chip models
PV-DV953 and GS-200. After looking endlessly, i finally found info that the GS-200 will be released in March. Is this similar , or the same cam as the Japanese GS-100 "black mamba?" that everyone is talking about on the forum? Aside from the smaller still image resolution and size of the GS-200, what are there any other differences? Anyone have an idea how much the GS-200 will cost?

I read a review of the PV-953(bizrate .. i think) stating that the mic input is for dubbing only .. not for recording with an separate mic? is this true.. this is a big deal to me.

2.) thinking that in about 6 months i will also buy either the AG-DVC80 or the 100A. What are the differences between the two cameras besides size and the 24p, frame rate business?

last.. just curious.. any opinions...?
I took a look at the 100A recently and was very impressed with the cam, though i have mixed feelings about the 24 p. It seemed to me that when recording motion.. (for example a narrative scene with a person speaking) the motion was film-like and very nice.. but if there was a sudden quick movement (such as a person turning their head) you would see a lot of what i can only call wierd digital artifacts. Similar in my mind to turning your shutter speed up high and recording a fast moving object while zoomed all the way in with the lens.
If you don't have any intention of transferring your final product to film.. might it not be better to shoot 30fps and do something to manipulate the image in post
such as film look?

Thank you all for your time and insight!

Kristin

Tommy Haupfear February 15th, 2004 08:33 AM

1. You're better off buying a DV953 or GS100 over the upcoming GS200 (IMO). The GS200 might possibly be replacing both the DV953 and GS100 but feature wise its more akin to the GS70. Just remember that low light peformance will be rather disappointed on these small cams compared to your VX2000.

Here is what Allan said on the differences between the GS100 and GS200

Quote:

No OIS
No low dispersion lens
No HQ widescreen
No Procinema
No Pro functions
My guess is that the GS200 will initially retail for $899-$999.

The DV953 mic input is a standard mic input.

2. Definitely check out dvinfo's dedicated DVX100/DVC80 forum.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=47

Guy Bruner February 15th, 2004 09:40 AM

Kristin,
I don't understand why you would want to replace your VX2000. That is an excellent camera, arguably better than either the DV953 or GS100K, especially in low light. Plus, there are numerous accessories available for it that aren't available for the Panasonics without adaptors. Remember, the grass isn't necessarily greener.

Unless you are shooting DV to transfer to 35mm film or to make 24P DVDs (you can get more content on a DVD in this mode and you can do 24P in post), the DVX100's 24P mode may be less useful for you. It does shoot in frame mode (30p) and has gamma adjust for cinematic effects, which you may find useful. Otherwise, the DVX100 shoots the same miniDV formats as the VX2000 and the quality is not better.

I'd suggest that instead of selling the VX2000, you add a camera for everyday shooting. Either the DV953 or GS100K (if you can still get it from Japan) would be an excellent compliment to the VX2000. And, if you wanted to do multicamera shoots, the features would match up better.

Tommy Haupfear February 15th, 2004 10:17 AM

In respect to the DVX100 vs. the VX2000. The DVX does have true progressive scan (not frame mode), offers XLR audio, and has a built-in wide angle adapter. If I was purchasing a 1/3" 3CCD it would be the DVX100 (possibly DVX100A once its established). I prefer the look of the DVX100 over the VX2000 but definitely try and demo both before making a decision.

Nothing wrong with the VX2000. I got a lot of good use out of mine and I still use one at work but I can see where upgrading to the DVX100 and purchasing a compact 3CCD cam could be advantageous. In this style of upgrade I don't see the GS100/DV953 as replacing a 1/3" 3CCD cam since Kristin would be purchasing the DVX100 along with a DV953/GS100.

Besides a VX2000 (or any large cam) on vacation just doesn't cut it.. :)

Kristin Tripp Caldwell February 15th, 2004 01:59 PM

well,, i just sold my 2000 5 minutes ago , GULP. i realize that the 953 or something similar won't touch my 2000.. but I have a 1.5 yr old at the moment and between that and teaching there isn't any time for jobs or other personal work so the VX2000 was spending too much time in my closet. I think i will buy one of the smaller cameras for everyday stuff and wait at least till after NAB or possibly in the fall to replace it with the DVC80 or 100A.

thanks so much for the GS200 info. thinking i will probably buy the 953 but wondering .. does any one know if the GS200 will have manual iris/exposure adjustment ?

thanks

Allan Rejoso February 15th, 2004 04:12 PM

.. does any one know if the GS200 will have manual iris/exposure adjustment ?

99% Yes. bec it's littlest brother the GS55K, which employs the same new universal cam design, that has just been released in the market has manual iris/gain.

The GS55K does not have manual shutter speed adjustment but I don't think Pany will strip it off from the GS200 too.

Tommy Haupfear February 15th, 2004 07:16 PM

I sold my first VX2000 for the exact same reason. I later missed the low light performance but keeping up with my little girl who is now two is much easier with a compact cam.

Luckily I convinced work to purchase a VX2000 and I usually use it for low light events.

Nothing wrong with putting a 3w light atop the DV953. :)

Frank Granovski February 15th, 2004 07:52 PM

Kristin, The VX2000, GS100 and DVC80 are all good cams. If price is an issue, consider the GS100, though you'll have to get used to the Japanese menus. If you buy from Allan, he provides "cheat sheets." For price, the DVC80 is also a great bargain. I doubt most people need 24P unlike great 16:9, which the GS100 has. It's always a toss-up. Good low light = VX2000 then DVC80. However, the GS100's low light is not all that bad when you compare it with many of today's newer cams, including the PV-DV953 (MX5000).

Kristin Tripp Caldwell February 16th, 2004 11:56 PM

I think after so much contemplation that i will go ahead and try to buy the GS 100 from Japan through Allan in Japan. (if it is still available) this might mean that I wait about a year to buy something like the DVX80 (or whatever is similar at that time) but that is about the date that i will be finally shooting a short narrative film that i have in the long - term works.

thank you , (maybe i will learn a little Japanese through this.. who knows?)

K

Frank Granovski February 17th, 2004 01:47 AM

Good luck, Kristin. Personally, I think that the GS100 is today's best bang for the buck in way of a small, do-everything prosumer cam but with a consumer price tag (if you can swallow a little Japanese). :-))

Tom Hardwick February 20th, 2004 02:56 PM

Not sure what you mean when you say "the DVX has a built-in wide-angle converter" Tommy. It doesn't - it simply has a 10x zoom that starts at 4.5mm and ends at 45mm. That's great for those that want more wide-angle than tele, but not good for those wanting differential focus, because the DOF using f2.8 @ 45mm is no match for Sony's f2.4 @ 72mm.

Yes, the VX2k it is for low light work, but Panasonic's side screen and ''no-bumps'' aperture control wheel are really good improvements. I has a play with the 100A at the Video Forum last week, and I feel the build quality is much improved over the previous version.

tom.

Tommy Haupfear February 20th, 2004 03:19 PM

Quote:

Not sure what you mean when you say "the DVX has a built-in wide-angle converter"
I believe I used the word "adapter" but basically I meant to just say that it has a nice wide angle lens.