DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Allan, what's happening in Japan? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/22267-allan-whats-happening-japan.html)

Frank Granovski March 2nd, 2004 03:49 PM

Allan, what's happening in Japan?

Any news yet about whether GS100 production will resume? Or news about a replacement model? What are the dealers saying?

Allan Rejoso March 2nd, 2004 06:39 PM

Hi Frank,

PJ seems out of stock. I actually have 1 black mamba which the wife forced me to keep (she wants to make sure we'd have one for ourselves) until I find another one (at around the same price I got it).

Stocked-up and sold black mambas during the past 2 weeks more than I ever did during the same period anytime. Tavis just missed out on the last one by a day.

kakaku listed discount shops are nearly sold out too. The cheapest listed price as of this morning is JPY107,000 but that seller does not indicate that he has one on stock (that's the 5th column). The cheapest seller with stock is listed at JPY110,000; that is around JPY10,000 higher than the cheapest price the GS100 was ever listed in kakaku. In some big retailers, of course there are still some silver GS100Ks to be found.

Bottom line is, those who want to get the GS100 now will have to pay more, will have to accept longer delivery period, and most probably settle with the silver.

This situation is temporary. The fact that I can find 50 new and shiny boxes of the MX5000, I expect Pany to resume limited production of the GS100 soon. I think Pany concentrated its assembly lines on the 2 new models coming at the end of this week (but most probably will be available on shelf as early as today). After testing the response of the market on the GS200, availability of the GS100 should become more steady (than it is right now), and hopefully, prices in kakaku will go down to around JPY100,000, and/or the Yen depreciation will continue.

Frank Granovski March 2nd, 2004 06:44 PM

Thanks for the update, Allan.

Didn't MX3000 production go for 2 years?

Allan Rejoso March 2nd, 2004 06:55 PM

Didn't MX3000 production go for 2 years?

Yes I believe so. Right now, there are at least 2 shelf units I still play with that are being offered at "clearance price". Definitely no head usage but lots of scratches on the body.

It's really a shock why Pany stopped production of the GS100 in 7 months. I felt it was selling well enough. I actually sold a LOT more GS100 than the MX5K. But of course, business is business and Pany would rather make more money by selling new cams that are cheaper to make.

Frank Granovski March 2nd, 2004 11:12 PM

That's bad news. I've been down this Pana road before, actually, a few times.

In the USA, the PV-DV953 came out in early April. In Canada, it came out sometime in June, as I recall. Didn't the MX5000 come out June 1st or July 1st almost one year prior to the PV-DV953?

John Locke March 2nd, 2004 11:17 PM

<<...what's happening in Japan?>>

At this very moment, it's sunny and mild. A crow is cawing outside my window. ;)

Frank Granovski March 2nd, 2004 11:22 PM

Right now it's 9:20 PM, and the crows are in their nests sleeping. I feed them (and the gulls) every morning. In fact, I just took a bunch of "chicken" pictures yesterday. For some reason, they were scared of my camera this time. Must be because I had my pocker lens on it, the 135mm. :-))

Young Lee March 3rd, 2004 01:55 AM

Maybe it's my fault. ;)

Frank Granovski March 3rd, 2004 04:07 AM

Hmmm. Could be. But I suggest against offering your services as the forum scape-goat.

Back to the topic..., let's hope that Pana doesn't blow 2004: if the GS100 is going to be no more, then at least, Pana please, give us a worthy replacement, or at least let us know that one is in the works. :-))

Allan Rejoso March 3rd, 2004 05:34 AM

My prediction.

The real upgrade to the GS100 will be released in Japan and the US at the same time this summer.

Frank Granovski March 3rd, 2004 05:59 AM

I always had a feeling that, Rejoso, was a magician's name. ;-) (Finger's crossed.)