DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   OIS is good? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/25400-ois-good.html)

Tom E Young May 1st, 2004 05:30 PM

OIS is good?

I have read this OIS here and think it is good. How is it good?

Frank Granovski May 1st, 2004 05:44 PM

OIS or, "Oh it's stable" is better than the digital kind of built-in stabilization. DIS stands for, "disfunctional image stabilizer." Hope that helps. :-))

Frank Granovski May 1st, 2004 06:15 PM

I just want to add that I always noticed Sony's non-OIS'd cams seemd to have good stabilization unlike my JVCs, though I almost always use an external stabilizer with my JVCs. OIS would be for your upcoming run and gun adventures in and about Edmonton. Ever shoot video in that big mall? Is it still the largest in the world? I read the one in the Twin Cities is larger---don't know if that's right, however.

Tom E Young May 1st, 2004 07:22 PM

That is funny Frank. I don't know if our mall is the biggest. It used to be and maybe it still is. Do not know for sure. I know where the biggest egg is.

Frank Granovski May 1st, 2004 07:49 PM

Glad you liked it. By the way, I know where the biggest mosquito is (a wee town in Manitoba)...I know where the biggest sturgeon is (Kenora)...I know where the Paul Bunyan statue is (Bemidji). OIS is better but few cams have them, and the pro cams don't even have built-in stabilzers. The prosumers use Miller tripods, the pro's use O'Connor's and we use Manfrotto's). I wonder how my MX300 would look like sitting on an O'Connor? :-))

Tom E Young May 1st, 2004 09:31 PM

I have a cheapo set of sticks for my K1000. It is no good for video and I do not want sticks for video. I am going to run and gun. I sure like that term. In the winter I am going to run indoors and take a bus to get there, so I will be recording indoors or just shooting with my K1000. Tapes sure cost an arm and a leg. I want to reuse tapes but I do not want to erase footage. Thanks for all the tips.

Frank Granovski May 1st, 2004 09:50 PM

That K1000, a Pentax? That's a good manual still cam. If you find miniDV tapes expensive, don't shoot so much. :-))

Tommy Haupfear May 1st, 2004 09:52 PM

Quote:

I always noticed Sony's non-OIS'd cams seemd to have good stabilization unlike my JVCs
Sony employs electronic sensors (EIS) for their Super Steady Shot (sans optical) and I agree that it appears to be superior to cams using digital image stabilization (DIS) which is less effective and noticeably reduces resolution.

George Beck May 1st, 2004 11:58 PM

Tommy, didn't the Pana's cams have EIS?
but if i remember when you pan with no subject you have "frames droped" (jurky movement)...

Frank Granovski May 2nd, 2004 04:47 AM

"Pana's cams have EIS?"

My JVCs have DIS. That's why I shut this feature off and use a tripod. (Degrades the video; can't have that.)

DIS - disfunctional image stabilizer
OIS - Oh it's stable
EIS - ?

Josh Bass May 2nd, 2004 12:12 PM

What about on the DVX100/DVX100a? Leave OIS on for handheld, off for tripod?

Frank Granovski May 2nd, 2004 01:40 PM

That's a good plan. I disengage DIS and OIS when I'm using a tripod.
Quote:

Leave OIS on for handheld, off for tripod?

Bryan Beasleigh May 2nd, 2004 06:37 PM

How about for running?

The marzpak would be bad for running but for rollerblading or skateboarding it's great. I wonder if OIS would help there?

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camsupport/marzpak.php

Frank Granovski May 2nd, 2004 06:41 PM

It's better to leave OIS/DIS/EIS on for 'er run 'n gun. I don't run, I do ride a bike, though.

Justin Boyle May 3rd, 2004 04:59 AM

its funny you mention the OIS and tripods., i too have read that you should turn it off., it think they might even mention it in the manual. yes i did read the manual. i was bored and wanted to see if there were any cool functions that were hidden that i didn't know about. but i didn't find anything. anyways i find that if i leave the OIS on i can get smoother pans in a lot of cases however sometime it gets to its limits and then all of a sudden seems to reset itself and you get a big jerk in ur footage.

Justin