DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   don't overlook the DV953 now (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/25438-dont-overlook-dv953-now.html)

Frank Granovski May 2nd, 2004 04:57 PM

don't overlook the DV953 now

It's a great cam. Well-built, solid, a side-loader, certainly it is a wise choice even today. The 1-year older MX3000 was also great cam but the PV-DV953 has 40 more lines of resolution, with reduced flaring, ghosting and barrelling --- contributing to a beautiful image quality (via Leica of Germany). With the PMX50 accessory kit, UV filter, and VBD-5 hip battery, you are all set! And if you want total protection, consider getting the all-weather-housing from Allan, but only if you have the MX5000 Japanese version, and not the American PV-DV953. Oops! That's why I'd rather have a MX5000 today than spend a year's salary on something that'll be obsolete tomorrow. Info here:

http://www.dvfreak.com/mx5_go.htm and here: http://www.dvfreak.com/pana_mx5.htm

Tom E Young May 2nd, 2004 05:17 PM

I see the mx5000 is better then the pv-dv953 for housing unit. The mx5000 cost more?

Frank Granovski May 2nd, 2004 06:37 PM

Furthermore, the MX5000 (DV953) is easier to hold than the MX300/0. It has a bigger LCD monitor, crisp and clear. It's smaller, and built more solid, unlike er semi-puffed stuff. I see no plastic! It's a machine, a pro machine, with good audio and all manual controls (if you don't like shooting auto). Yes, another great hand-held for the history books, and I do think the MX5000 is a little bit better than the PV-er.

Tom, they were about the same price when they first came out.

Stuart Deaver May 2nd, 2004 08:53 PM

Do I need a VX-2100 or GL-2?

Hi all,

I use the 953 to record classical music concerts and I have a really special opportunity to record a prestigious piano competition in Europe this summer and was wondering if the 953's video quality is adequate for this task? As far as I know, the venue features full stage lights etc., so I don't think it will be a "low-light" situation. However, I cannot be 100% sure. (the audio part of the equation is fine:I use external pro audio gear).
I know, at times, that the low-light performance of the 953 can be grainy and disappointing to say the least. That is what has me wondering whether I TRULY NEED a Canon Gl-2 or even better (for low-light) a Sony VX-2100 for this type of work? Or will the 953 do just fine?
My second question is with a bigger CCD chip are there other benefits over a smaller CCD besides low-light performance?
And finally, would it be a waste to buy a high-end NTSC 3-CCD 1/3 inch camera such as the VX-2100 with HD so near?
Your expertise and honesty and any other shooting tips are greatly appreciated,

Yow Cheong Hoe May 2nd, 2004 09:07 PM

If you find the stage lighting sufficient, then you can set the camera on manual exposure and control the light to the level that you want, typically F2.0 or so. The noise is obvious only in gain mode.

This manual exposure is important as camcorders do average metering of the whole scene. As the background is dark on stage, and the subject is often smaller (the pianist, for example), the metering will expose more to 'brighten' up the dark background. This will ineveitably cause over exposure on the subject and noise everywhere.

Frank Granovski May 3rd, 2004 06:16 AM

A couple of things I forgot to mention. The mic input level control is a marvel when compared with other cams in the consumer category, and its OIS, or optical image stabilizer, is a 2-stage affair. Few consumer cams even come with OIS. Zebra pattern, colour bars and an 11 level picture adjustment simply makes the knowing a cam to die for. Need I say more? You bet! Buy one!

Good explaination, Yow!

Justin Boyle May 3rd, 2004 08:29 AM

well said frank well said. i think that i might have to take a copy of that post for later use in a canon or sony forum........... It makes you proud to own one. i bought this camera at an impulse and have never regretted it so i think other people might have this same belief too. Heh frank, your becoming quite a poet.

Justin

Stuart Deaver May 3rd, 2004 09:32 AM

so the 953 is fine?

Frank, renting a pro cam such as the JVC that you mentioned is just not in the budget for the amount of time involved. Though that would be absolutely sweet! So my question is how much better (or is it even) would the GL-2 fare against the 953 in my situation? It seems that every time I record an indoor concert with the 953 the shutter speed has to be at 1/60 or it seems to dark. This limits me from seeing the action in all its detail (fast piano fingers etc.) Has anyone used both of these for indoor concert recording? From all of the reading I've done, I just get the impression that the 953 is an "outdoor" camera. I really love my 953 and have had good to astonishing results with it for the most part. And Frank is right: the manual control it offers are unheard of in this consumer price category.

George Beck May 3rd, 2004 09:44 AM

going once.. going t.twice.... SOLD...

the lady in the back wins the bid for Frank's old magical camcorder...

congratulations!

the antique auction is now closed.
please visit us next week when we will be bidding on a few Mlack Bambas 7500
=)