DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Telextender Lenses for PV-DV953 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/25814-telextender-lenses-pv-dv953.html)

Steve McDonald May 10th, 2004 10:27 PM

Telextender Lenses for PV-DV953

I've spent some time looking for a high-quality 2X
telextender for the 43mm lens of the PV-DV953, without much luck. I can use my Canon TL-46 and TL-55, with step-up rings, but they only have 1.4X power. The Sony VCL-R2052 with 2X, worked fairly well on my older, smaller analog cameras, but isn't up to the quality standard needed for this model. Cheapo models don't interest me and I'd be willing to spend more, if necessary. A few others, like the Century Optics 58mm 2X and Raynox Pro 62mm model 2020 are too big and heavy to be practical. I'm hoping someone will have a tip to provide, about a solution to this. I'm not hesitant to use larger lenses with step-up rings, as long as they're not overly heavy, but wouldn't use anything smaller than 43mm.

Steve McDonald

Guy Bruner May 11th, 2004 06:35 PM

Look at Tiffen, Raynox and Kenko.

Steve McDonald May 12th, 2004 07:22 AM

I found a Raynox lens that looks like it might suit the PV-DV953 and camcorders with similar-sized lenses. It's a 2X with 37mm mounting threads. It comes with 5 step-rings to adapt it to lenses that are 27/30.5/43/49mm in size. I don't know why they include one for 37mm, as it is this exact size. It would fit the GS200 perfectly. It's model no. is the DVR-2020 and is sold for $69.95. in the U.S. by a dealer you can find on the "Contact" link on Raynox's website:
http://www.raynox.com

I had a 52mm, 2.5X Raynox telex lens once and it was very good, despite being a long and narrow type. For about $150., it was very sharp for use on an S-VHS camera and it was easy to focus with it. It's the first and only lens I ever left on the hood of a car, or I'd probably still be using it.

On Raynox's site, an impressive-looking,
big 2.2X, DCR-2020PRO looms up and tempts one who has cameras in the 52mm to 58mm size. It has a 62mm mounting ring and an 82mm outer barrel and is almost 5 inches long, but weighs just 9.7 oz. It comes with a 52mm to 62mm step-up ring and one that is 58mm to 62mm and others are available. This lens is specifically recommended for the VX2100 and its relatives, down to the TRV900 and VX1000 in size. It mentions the 37mm PDX10, but I think it would be too large for anything under 52mm. They say it will resolve an image as fine as 220 lines per millimeter, which is pretty tight. The 12X VX2100 would have 26.4X with the DCR-2020PRO, which sells at this dealer for $199. This might be an alternative for the Century Optics $400., 58mm 2X lens and give a little more power, as well.

Raynox's worldwide locater gives you links to dealers in all global regions. I may be tempted to try this one out on a VX camcorder and perhaps some of you already have. Frankly, I was hoping it would cost a couple of hundred dollars more, but sometimes quality and price don't match. I like the looks of this lens, although some things can mislead you that way. But, would any reputable lens maker give such a good set of specs and visual presence to one of their best models and yet have it be a turkey?

Steve McDonald

Patricia Kim May 12th, 2004 12:52 PM

I have the DVR2020 and use it on a gs100k. Have only had it for a few weeks. Seems fine - those ducks in the marina never looked in such fine feather. It's not heavy, but you still get less stability, and it's harder to focus with the wind up (which it often is where I live). That said, I think it's a pretty good lens - presumably, unlike me, you will remember to use it for what it is and not try shooting at full pullback. (I think I need a less powerful teleconversion for some of the things I want to shoot. Wish Raynox would put one out.) Can't remember if I got it at B&H or 2filter. Probably B&H, because they seem to be so successful in getting stuff to me quickly and I am always deciding to try a new piece of equipment just before I expect to shoot something. Not good planning.

Steve McDonald May 12th, 2004 03:10 PM

Patricia, on Raynox's website and also on the Digital Direct Distributors' website, where you can order them, there is a Raynox 1.5X telex lens that might be just what you need. Also, the Canon TL-46 and TL-55 have 1.4X and are excellent for their price. I have both these and use them with step-ring adaptors on all my small to medium cameras when I need this amount of extra magnification. You'll find that the autofocus works much better with 1.4X and 1.5X, than with more powerful add-on lenses.

Steve McDonald