DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   DVC30 Impressions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/26904-dvc30-impressions.html)

Mark Williams June 15th, 2004 05:49 PM

Thanks Dave,

Yea, you are right about using digital zoom. I tried it out in more of an artistic setting (sunset etc. )and it looked cool. However for detail work I agree with you it is best to forget it. Let me know you fair with the 2x adapter. Having 32x would be amazing on small birds etc.

Regards,

Mark

Robert Kirkpatrick June 15th, 2004 09:45 PM

Re: Got my DVC30E today!!!

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Croft : Frame mode + Cinegamma is excellent and really adds to this camera.-->>>

Dude, if you could post footage or stills of the frame mode+cinegamma, both indoor and out, I will love you forever. I'm talking eternal devotion. I'm also looking at doing experimental short films, so I'm curious how film-like the image looks in action.

My only concern is if there is or if there will be an anamorphic adapter for it. (I'm shopping for cameras that have future upgrade potential. And the widescreen mode didn't look too great in Ito's examples.) Thanks for mentioning that there are wide angles available.

Dave Croft June 16th, 2004 05:01 AM

Hi Robert,

How do I post frame grabs? Do I need a website, or can I email them for somone to post?

I read somewhere that Panasonic is or has made a 16:9 adapter specifically for this cam, presumably with a 43mm filter thread. Try doing a search on google etc. (or I might have read it on a post on this forum).

I think that many people will right off this cam because it doesn't do true progressive like the DVX. However, having tried Frame + Cinegamma I have been very impressed so far the footage definitely did not look like video (don't forget my PAL cam is 25p though ;) as opposed to NTSC 30p

I tried switching back and forth between normal and movie mode, and there is a real noticable difference, mainly due to the motion signature being closer to film, although the cine gamma does lower contrast, by lowering highlights, and bringing up dark areas a bit. The picture does lack a bit of 'punch' and might be a bit muddy for some - maybe more like the DVX100 (not A) than the DVX100A which has more gamma settings. I do think that by using Cine Gamma on the 30, that you have more range to mess with gamma in post (which I'm gonna try).

Dave.

Tommy Haupfear June 16th, 2004 08:08 AM

First I've heard of an anamorphic adapter for the DVC30 but that would be a really good thing. So far I haven't been impressed with the DVC30's widescreen mode. Of course anamorphic adapters often have issues of their own..

Guy Bruner June 16th, 2004 03:45 PM

Panasonic has an anamorphic adapter for the DVC80 and DVX100. It's about $800, IIRC, which is still less than the Crystal Optics. I suppose you could use it with stepup rings.

Dave you are welcome to post pix and video in the Members Album on my website.

Mark Williams June 16th, 2004 04:28 PM

Hey guys,

Here is a frame grab at 60i 4:3 mode. I had to covert it from .bmp to .jpeg to reduce the file size for the picture service that I use. Cam was set to +1 sharpness. All other settings at 0, using zebra for exposure control and manual white balance.

http://www.free-image-hosting.org/pic.php?pic=6/16717232861.jpg

Regards,

Mark

Tommy Haupfear June 16th, 2004 06:06 PM

Now thats more like it! Nice frame and a much better representation of what the DVC30 is capable of. 4:3 is definitely its strong point.

Mark Williams June 16th, 2004 06:22 PM

Here are some pics of a bag that I got for my cam. It is actually a carpenter's lunch bag with built in insulation, and an upper and lower compartment. Great for keeping the cam and tapes at an optimum temperature. It is very high quality. Here is the link to the site. I paid 27.00 for it including shipping.

http://duluthtrading.com/a/shop/dproduct.asp?UID=2004061619132815&GEN0=&GEN1=&T1=92542+BLK&c=catbags&s=3T2THB

Here are some pics with the cam inside. I also bought a plastic compartment from Home Depot for $1.99 to go in the top so things stay organized when openning the bottom compartment. It also has 3 side pockets.

http://www.free-image-hosting.org/pic.php?pic=6/16719181941.jpg

http://www.free-image-hosting.org/pic.php?pic=6/16719203164.jpg

Scott Plowman June 16th, 2004 06:27 PM

Am I gathering that the 16:9 mode is not of the same quality of dvx100A?? Why isnt your pic there no more? hmmmm

Mark Williams June 16th, 2004 06:31 PM

Scott,

Sorry I don't understand your question. Was it to me? I didn't post a 16:9 mode photo.

Regards,

Mark

Scott Plowman June 16th, 2004 07:08 PM

well kinda to you Mark.. one was i cant see your pics.. another was to ask .. which i am unsure anyone can answer cause no one here can compare to DVX100A as no one here seems to have one to compare it to.. I had read in this thread that 16:9 sucks with this camera.. So i was asking.. if anyone can say.. it is or it isnt like the same 16:9 type mode in DVX100a.. if so it works great and really needs no adapter.. thanks for replying mark :)

Tommy Haupfear June 16th, 2004 07:59 PM

Scott, the DVX100's 16:9 mode is not that great and definitely reduces vertical resolution. It appears that the DVC30 is the same way with 16:9 but both the DVX100 and DVC30 really shine in 4:3.

Mark Williams June 16th, 2004 08:02 PM

Scott,

Sorry you can't see the pics. I've copied and pasted the URLs in several times and they come up ok for me. I'll try to post some more tomorrow at a different picture service and maybe they will load up for you. I know this may sound a little odd but only the 60i 4:3 mode appeals to me and I haven't spent any time exploring the other modes as of yet.

Mark

Scott Plowman June 16th, 2004 08:03 PM

ahhh.. Tommy....not to be condenscending.. As I have the dvx100A I can attest 16:9 mode is great.. and the fact is as others have done testing is that there really is no need for an anamorphic as the difference is practically indescernible as others have concluded.. I must say i am making a storm chasing documentary and using letterbox on all filming.. Although i wouldnt call my self an electric or broadcast engineer or an expert. i do work with the DVX100a all the time.. Im looking at it now. gosh shes perty ;) Go read over at DVXuser they have plenty of user studies on this..Hope that helps

Tommy Haupfear June 16th, 2004 08:26 PM

Scott it sounds like you really like the DVX100A and I definitely think its a great cam. I just wasn't impressed with the 16:9 resolution. It may be ok for some but compared to my past PDX10 footage on any of my HDTVs and even my wife could see the difference.

Someone could really clean house with a native widescreen PD170 or DVX100A.