DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Just received my GS400 today (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/29752-just-received-my-gs400-today.html)

Ben Chancey July 28th, 2004 08:27 PM

Just received my GS400 today

Just received my GS400 today from Supervideo.com. I now know what a caveman felt like during the ice age. I have no clue how to read the Japanese. I just look at the writing and grunt. I have a 953 manual to read up on to get a little idea of what I am doing though. I got the GS 400, the 10M underwater housing, 9 hour panasonic waist battery, uv lens, wide angle lens, and an english remote control. Don't even think about asking me what it can do because I am still trying to decipher what you all are talking about on here. I will be using he camera to shoot a fishing show called "Chew On This Saltwater Fishing Show." I can't wait to figure this thing out and then put it to good use. Just wanted to let everyone know I am exited about getting started.

Regards,
Capt Ben Chancey

Guy Bruner July 28th, 2004 08:59 PM

Ben,
Check out the GS400 PAL manual at DV Freak. The menus should be the same.

Claus Olesen July 28th, 2004 11:37 PM

I'm new to video, don't know supervideo and a little hesitant to shop at site as hmmm colorful as it.
But www.supervideo.com/Mamba2 in black, in PAL and in english (alias NV-GS400EB ?) at $1499 sounds like an option.
And may be hard to find elsewhere in the US. How was your shopping experience?
But I'm not sure about the PAL. Isn't PAL the way to go if viewing using a computer monitor and not a US TV set?

Patricia Kim July 29th, 2004 12:05 AM

You may want to check with Allan (listed at the top of this forum) on pricing if you're going with the Japan version - I believe it's NTSC only, so I don't think Capt. Chancey received - or wanted - a PAL version. If supervideo's friends indeed package the 9-hour battery, lenses and underwater housing for $1499, though, that might be a good buy.

Frank Granovski July 29th, 2004 03:09 AM

I was told by Charles Littman that he doesn't sell cams. Ben, what did all that set you back?

Darko Tomic July 29th, 2004 03:35 AM

It's not clear to me if there is gs-400 PAL version in black color with english menus, and where to buy it ....

Frank Granovski July 29th, 2004 04:54 AM

Either from the UK, AU or NZ; but it won't be black.

Tommy Haupfear July 29th, 2004 07:50 AM

Congrats on the GS400 Capt Ben! We look forward to hearing your thoughts once you overcome the language barrier. Definitely take a look at the GS400 manual provided by Frank's website that Guy referenced earlier in this thread.

Frank's correct about the lack of a black GS400 ina PAL. I noticed the other day that Pricejapan.com even had a footnote under the black NTSC GS400 that it was not available in PAL. I'm pretty accustomed to this type of snubbing from Japan cam makers but I guess others are getting their first taste.

Japan likes champagne colored audio gear and black cams but it seems they don't like sharing...

Patricia Kim July 29th, 2004 12:13 PM

$2499 is kind of pricey, but if you need the underwater housing, you probably did the right thing. Who knows what compatibility issues there may be with the housing and any other version of the cam. What's the model number of the WA lens? (I'm just curious as to whether they got you the model that seems to have been specially made - at this point - for the gs400.) Most of all, enjoy.

Ben Chancey July 29th, 2004 02:17 PM

Patricia the model number is VW-LW4307M
Let me know if it is what you are thinking it is.

Ali Tan Ucer July 29th, 2004 02:31 PM

Did they ever released a black Pal version, or we are just looking for something bogus?

Thanks

Tommy Haupfear July 29th, 2004 02:53 PM

Just another reminder that ONLY Japan NTSC has the Black GS400!

Patricia Kim July 29th, 2004 05:48 PM

Ben, the WA is the same for both the gs400 and gs100. It turns out that there's a teleconversion lens that is shown as being compatible with the gs400 only. Sorry I goofed. On the other hand, the underwater housing (dubbed an aquarium by yours truly) is shown as made for the gs400 only. Could end up that it is in fact only compatible with the Japan model - that's what happened with the housing for the mx5000: it was not compatible with the U.S. version of the mx5000.

Check your footage for barreling. Someone in the UK with the PAL version said that seems to be a problem with the lens that comes with the gs400 (not the WA or teleconversion) - at least on several models that he checked. Earlier Frank Granovski said he had heard that one possible hold-up in getting the gs400 to market was a lens issue. I would be surprised if the problem shows up in a Japan model, but you may want to do a thorough check anyway.

Don't forget you have a bunch of folks over here drooling for feedback!

Ben Chancey August 2nd, 2004 11:29 AM

Alright everyone,

The color on this cam is the most true to real life I have ever personally seen. I never new how good the color could be on a camera until I used the GS 400. The Zoom is great to use and all of the lenses work flawlessly for what I need them for. The only problem I had was wind noise on the mic. I am trying to solve that problem right now by going through videogear.com and getting the XLR adapter, the shotgun mic with L bracket, a sunheiser wireless mic, and a samon (sp?) mic, and an aluminum camera case. After speaking with Jeff at length he thought that would be my best set up. The wind noise really makes it touch in production. My fishing shows should go alot smoother now.

Joe Carney August 2nd, 2004 11:51 AM

>>
and all of the lenses work flawlessly for what I need them for. The only problem I had was wind noise on the mic. I am trying to solve that problem right now by going through videogear.com <<

The domain name for videogear.com is expired.
Could you post the correct one?

I went to your web site. I want one of those snook!

Are you stictly online/download or are you being broadcast on cable somewhere?