DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   GS-400 release date in US (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/30125-gs-400-release-date-us.html)

Gustavo Godinho August 5th, 2004 07:29 AM

GS-400 release date in US

When it will be?

Tommy Haupfear August 5th, 2004 12:26 PM

B&H website says August availability and they have a "Notify When In Stock" feature on their website.

Click here for GS400 at B&H

Avi Alpert August 5th, 2004 02:59 PM

CDW (who is selling it for a listed price now of $1189) just told me on the phone that they expect to get them in the warehouse by August 10th.

Rokta Bija August 5th, 2004 07:23 PM

I talked to the guys at a Panasonic store here in Orange County and they were told mid August, but he wouldn't be surprised if it isn't here till September.

Frank Granovski August 6th, 2004 03:23 AM

I figured it would be Sept for the GS to show in Canada. The GS400 had a lot of delays.

Bill Greene August 10th, 2004 01:20 PM

The GS400 is officially available in Canada. Mine walked through the front door less than an hour ago. It's pretty sweet! I might upload some images to my webspace tonight and post them!

early impressions:

-Well built. Feels solid. Fits well in the hand, well balanced.

-I love the manual ring! Easy to switch between modes, and adjusts quickly. In the zoom mode, a quick turn zooms all the way to 12x, while a slow turn zooms slowly out past 2, then 3.

-HUGE LCD. Way better than the GS200, both in perceived resolution (seems sharper) and in off axis. Still solarizes at a lower angle than the Sony, however.

-The 16x9 mode seems great. I dont find the fact that it is a 4:3 anamorphic display to be that distracting. I can still easily tell what I am shooting.

More later once I get home and can actually play.

Tommy Haupfear August 10th, 2004 01:49 PM

Bill, congrats on the new cam! Definitely share some frames and some stills!

Yamil Diaz August 10th, 2004 04:11 PM

Where were you able to buy or order your PV-GS400?
Did you order it over the internet ? If so from where?
Or did you buy it from a retail store in Canada?
Also if you don't mind, what price did you get the GS400 at?

Thanks in advance

Frank Granovski August 10th, 2004 06:34 PM

Apparently the GS400 is now available in Canada, I just found out. However, you won't find them sitting in too many stores. Leo's is selling them for $2,070 but on special order only. In fact, I don't think any Vancouver cam shops will keep them in stock, as of now. Leo's Camera's phone number is: (604) 685-5331 - there website/e-mail can be found on my website.

Guy Bruner August 11th, 2004 11:52 AM

Hey Frank! Canada finally got something before the US!!??

Frank Granovski August 11th, 2004 01:36 PM

Yeah, that's a first. Too bad the video junk shops don't carry them.

Nick Kerpchar August 11th, 2004 02:35 PM

Bill,
Would you comment on whether the GS400 makes a loud whinny noise when put into Pause mode. I recall some discussion on another thread about the noise being loud enough to be heard in an auditorium setting.

Thanks, Nick

Joe Carney August 11th, 2004 02:54 PM

<<Hey Frank! Canada finally got something before the US!!??<<
Frank probably told them he would get midevil on there asses if they didn't start treating Canada right.

Bill Greene August 11th, 2004 05:10 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Kerpchar : Bill,
Would you comment on whether the GS400 makes a loud whinny noise when put into Pause mode. I recall some discussion on another thread about the noise being loud enough to be heard in an auditorium setting.

Thanks, Nick -->>>

Wow. I havent heard any such whining noise, and I was in a rather quiet room playing with it. Of course, I wasnt listening for it. I just tried it out. In both record and playback mode, when put into pause, no whining noise at all.

The shop at I work will likely only special order the GS400, but we do carry the GS200. It looks like 2070 is around the minimum a lot of places will sell it. I might talk to my boss and see if we want to get into the mail order camera business :D

Frank Granovski August 11th, 2004 09:39 PM

Joe, something like that. I've been bugging them for years. :-))