DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/)
-   -   Problem with MX500B (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dv-mx-gs-series-assistant/52879-problem-mx500b.html)

Alex Lake October 17th, 2005 07:10 AM

Problem with MX500B

Got a Panasonic MX500B (the predecessor to GS400) that's developed a fault whereby the capture image looks a bit like a C41 negative - quite distorted to green and red with vertical smearing. Quite horrible!

Good tapes still play back with correct colour - so it's not the viewfinder, and it's nothing to do with the tape transport.

I'm guessing that it's something gone wrong with the CCDs or processing electronics. It's not as though I've just dropped the camera on the floor, into the bath or anything like that - it seems to be a totally spontaneous problem.

Has anyone ever seen this? What am I in for repairwise? Any recommendations of somewhere in the UK to take it (I bought it from Jessops but find their repair administration is totally incompetent).

Thanks!
Alex

Frank Granovski October 19th, 2005 05:32 PM

Do you get this when you're recording or when you're playing back a tape? Do you get this only with some tapes or with any tape? Do you see this both in the viewfinder and LCD? Do you see an error message? Do you use the same tape brand/model? Heads are clean?

Guy Bruner October 20th, 2005 05:06 AM

Alex,
I've seen problems with the MX500/DV953 a number of times now where the white balance is significantly off. In fact, I have a 953 that needs to be repaired for just this problem. I don't know what the exact problem is but I do know that you won't be able to adjust or clean it away.

Alex Lake October 20th, 2005 06:03 AM

Thanks for the replies

The problem manifests itself even when there's no tape in the machine.

Playing back tapes is fine in all regards.

This is definitely in the electronics somewhere close to the CCDs.

I'm sending it off for repair. I guess it's 50:50 whether or not I'm going to be better off simply buying a new GS400...

I was hoping that someone was going to say "yeah, I had that - it cost me £100 to get fixed" or somesuch ;-)

Kyle Ringin October 20th, 2005 05:03 PM

I've had problems with my MX500 doing wierd white balance things when set to auto - If it's something important where I won't be changing lighting colour temp throughout the shot I always set it to one of the presets if I don't have time for a manual white balance. This way if the white balance is off, at least it's consistent and fairly easy to correct in post, but if your important shot suddenly goes from good colour to green or red or something, it's pretty hard to correct.

I've never had vertical smearing though (in normal lighting conditions, etc)

Bogdan Vaglarov October 21st, 2005 03:13 PM

Sound like the CCDs themselves.

If you have read that quite a few digital cam manifacturers recalled there products for defective CCDs from Sony that had exactly the same symtoms you described.

I guess there is no connection with that issue but you have problem with your cams CCDs anyway.

Matthew Leech October 24th, 2005 08:22 AM

MX500 - green smears then all purple

Hi Guys,

It's the prism block that's faulty. I had the same happen to my MX500 and was quoted £230-£300 to repair it.

The repairs can be done by Multicare in Leeds, I've had professional equipment serviced and repaired by them a few times and they are reliable and reasonably priced. Ask for Richard Lowe (Broadcast Service) 0113 279 1255.

Before anybody wonders, I'm not affiliated with Multicare in any way.

Btw, I only registered with DVi so that I could reply to your problem so I hope I've helped.

I didn't repair mine in the end, I bought a GS400 instead (£670 new from ebay).

Matt.

Leigh Wanstead October 24th, 2005 12:23 PM

Hi Matthew,

Wise choice

I see no point to repair it at half a brand new and better model camera. I would say if repair cost is 10% of a new price, I will pay to repair it, but not around 50%.

Regards
Leigh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Leech

Matt.

Alex Lake October 25th, 2005 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Leech
It's the prism block that's faulty. I had the same happen to my MX500 and was quoted £230-£300 to repair it.

Thanks VERY MUCH INDEED!

I was just about to send it off to Morris Photographic, but perhaps now I'll ask them to quote for that problem.

How can a prism block be faulty? Presumably, it's just got dislodged, or something like that?

In what regards is the GS400 better? And do ebay sell extended warranties?!

I presume the GS400 is compatible with all accessories (eg. hotshoe-mounted microphone and lens is still 43mm thread)

Alex Lake October 25th, 2005 07:24 AM

GS400 v MX500

Is it true that the GS400 has 1/4inch CCDs compared with 1/6inch on the MX500?

Alex Lake December 8th, 2005 10:39 AM

The result

Thought the board members might be interested to know that Panasonic did pay for the repairs (parts and labour, but not carriage) for this, which is splendid news (worth close to £400). Richard at Multicare was fantastic, pulling a few strings at Panasonic who had initially confused me about who was entitled to carry out repairs under warranty.

In a way I'm slightly disappointed I didn't get to "have" to buy a GS400!

Tommy Haupfear December 8th, 2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

Is it true that the GS400 has 1/4inch CCDs compared with 1/6inch on the MX500?
I think the GS400 has 1/4.7" CCDs.

Quote:

Panasonic did pay for the repairs
Excellent news! Now you can save up for whatever replaces the GS400!

Alex Lake December 9th, 2005 03:26 AM

Mmm.... I wonder what that will be.

I must get around to looking at some HD stuff. I guess that quality will improve when serious processing power for compression is readily available. Perhaps an array of Cell processors in future digicams....