DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   24p questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/16550-24p-questions.html)

Andre De Clercq July 26th, 2003 04:27 AM

- F11/2000 lux is indeed at ref gain (="no gain") for 100 IRE video from a 2000 lux illuminated white target having ~90% lambertian reflectivity. This spec goes normally together with a S/N ratio, otherwise it doesn't make too much sense... If S/N ratio is not an issue, every cam can be made (by internally adjusting the ref gain) to get this figure.
- Yes 2000 has to be divided by (11/1.6)^2= 47... equals 42,...lux as ilumination level on the white target for getting 100 IRE video (noise??)
- The 24 lux starts (wrongly) from the 3lux spec by simply setting the 18db gain (specified at 3lux) to zero. 18 db means 8 times so the (wrong) lux value is then 3*8=24lux.
- the 50 IRE level (which goes together with the low level spec)has not been taken into account in the 24 lux statement. Video signals are being gamma corrected (~2,..) and this makes that 50 IRE corresponds to 20% initial signal level or equivalent lux level. Lux and IRE are only related through a (non linear) gamma function. So Steve 100 IRE at f11/2000lux will not result in 50 IRE @1000 lux, but at ~400 lux.
- Taking all this into account and do a bottom-up calculation (=starting from 3lux/18db/50IRE) we end up in 120 lux for full video signal at "no gain". Both calculations should give exactly the same results which proves that one of the specs is wrong like I reported several months ago...

Mike Zorger July 28th, 2003 02:35 PM

time laps in 24p

can someone post a time laps they have shot using the dvx100 in 24p. or just some outdoor footage.
Thank

Russell Pond July 29th, 2003 08:45 AM

Here's a thread of some time lapse stuff I did with the DVX100.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=time+lapse

Russell

Mike Zorger July 29th, 2003 11:15 AM

Can you write downthe steps on how you put that into premier? THAT WOULD BE GREAT. Do you like you dvx100 a lot? is the camera hard to use at first. I'm use to sonys. but i want a dvx100 so bad.

Mark Monciardini July 29th, 2003 10:15 PM

Looking for DVD-RW that works good with 24P

Can anyone recommend a good DVD-R/RW that works good with Vegas Video and the DVX100?

Getting ready to buy one and don't want to make a mastake!

Stephen van Vuuren July 30th, 2003 07:12 AM

I've used it a couple of times for simple DVDs so far but my Sony 500ULX works fine (external firewire).

Peter Sieben July 31st, 2003 05:26 AM

I also have good results with the external Sony 500ULX in combination with Vegas 4/DVD-Architect, although my footage isn't coming from the DVX100.
The dvd+r and dvd-r disks burned with it, can both be played on my old Sony set-top dvd-player (although I had to de-calibrate the set-top player to achieve this; current set-top player models handle dvd-recordable disks much better).

Russell Pond August 1st, 2003 07:32 AM

I just used Premiere's Stop Motion feature that allows you to capture in Time Lapse mode. Premiere's Time Lapse setting allows you to capture x amount of frames per minute, per hour or per day.

Then, I just played the video through firewire and started capturing based on whatever settings I wanted to use.

Russell

Mike Zorger August 4th, 2003 06:25 AM

24p cam from sony

Does anyone know any info on a 24p camera coming out from sony?

Stephen van Vuuren August 4th, 2003 08:06 AM

Other than the new CineAlta 2, nope. You might have better luck in the Sony forums...

mitchell kirk August 8th, 2003 03:15 PM

24p dvd production????

so i read this somewhere....
" Motion pictures released on DVD are encoded at this lower (24p) frame rate, so a 24p native

video DVD (DVD-R / DVD-RAM) should be compatible with the majority of DVD players."

is this true? or true for only progressive dvd players?
does the dvd player output 24p to 60i on the cheap none progressive dvd players??? that doesn't seem right...

so what are the rental dvd's at blockbuster exactly??

my footage is not ready to master to dvd yet but i tend to worry about it all the time, i am working in 24p advanced, editing and compositing

thanks for any help

Jose J Garcia August 8th, 2003 05:37 PM

Can DVX100 24P footage be cut in Smoke?

I'm planning to shoot a short with a DVX100 in 24P standard mode and, after offlinining it in Avid Xpress, finish it in Discreet Smoke using an Avid Xpress EDL.

Can Smoke digitize from a DVX100? Or what would be the best way to get the footage into the Smoke?

If anybody has any knowledge regarding these points, please share.

Thanks.

Stephen van Vuuren August 8th, 2003 06:14 PM

It's all very confusing, even to long-time video folks.

You've got several different things muddled together here. All NTSC DVDs are 29.97 interlaced (also known as 480i) otherwise they would not play on standard players and TVs. Progressive players do the opposite process of the DVX100 and remove the pulldown on the fly for progressive TVs.

I would suggest you review the Sonic Foundry 24P Whitepaper (top of this forum) and look at this site:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/

to get a better understanding of how this works.

Ted Springer August 15th, 2003 01:27 AM

I am easily able to edit in 24p mode with Final Cut Pro 4 with footage from my DVX100. But what I'd like to do is also create a regular 3:2 pulldown copy to save back to DV tape and whatnot. So far the only way I know of to do this is to burn a 24p M2V file to DVD and play it back on my DVD player, letting it do the 3:2 pulldown and recording from the analog out of the player. This is not desirable since there would be mega generation loss from encoding to M2V and then recording from the analog out of the DVD player.

In FCP4, there is an option of how to play back the 24p footage from the timeline under the "System settings" menu. I have tried all of them. None of them create any of the needed "jitter frames". Instead they just repeat frames at regular intervals, resulting in choppy playback.

Does anyone know how to take 24p footage and create a 3:2 pulldown effect for regular NTSC?

Thanks

Rob Lohman August 15th, 2003 09:29 AM

On the PC Vegas can do this. Ofcourse that's no use to you. If
you save back a DV do you have an option to save 30 fps DV?
In Vegas you can make this work when exporting, so perhaps
FCP has this as well?