DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVC80 vs VX2000/2100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/18750-dvc80-vs-vx2000-2100-a.html)

Mark Williams December 23rd, 2003 04:27 PM

DVC80 vs VX2000/2100

I am going to replace my worn out GL1 at the beginning of the year and I am in search of a new cam. I mainly do nature shorts requiring wide to tel views of scenery and wildlife. I have my choices down to the the pany or the sony with the 2x century tel lens. Both would be about in the same ballpark, about $300 apart price wise. Unfortunately, I am not currently in a location where I can put my hands on both cams.

Iwould like to hear opinions from users of either or both cams as to image quality, reliability, tape/head issues, ergononics, construction quality, and general satisfaction or dissatisfaction. I have budgeted for this price range and cannot go up to the PD150 or DVX1100 class of cams.

Thanks in advance

Mark Williams

Stephen van Vuuren December 23rd, 2003 04:34 PM

If you do telephoto nature, I would strongly suggest a GL2 or XL1s (body only and use still Canon lenses).

The increased telephoto range will give you a sharper image at the long end and Canon's image stabilization is a hair better.

Does CO make a 2X tele-extender for 72mm? I only think they have a 1.6x.

Mark Williams December 23rd, 2003 04:50 PM

Stephen,

Thanks you for the recommendation. Although the GL2 looks good with the 20x lens, I have had a lot of problems with my GL1's plastic contruction as well as repeated head alignment problems that have turned me sour on the cam. From what I have read the XL1s is an excellent yet older technology cam that unfortunately would be out of my price range after acquiring the lenses to outfit it properly for my needs. I guess I could wait to see if anything new comes out in 2004, but I am tired of waiting.

Regards,

Mark

Peter Jefferson December 23rd, 2003 09:12 PM

DVC30???

Steve Nunez December 26th, 2003 09:16 PM

Mark-

you're really not gonna beat the image quality and zoom capabilities of the GL2 especially when coupled with a Sony HG 1.7x tele lens....the new Panasonic DVC30 may surpass the image quality and outright resolution of the GL2 and you might want to wait a short while until it becomes avail to the public....I have used the GL2 (owned it) and the XL1s and they both are superb (especially the XL1s with EF adapter)...

...I say the DVC30 is probably gonna be the camera to beat but if you want something right now and for the relatively lower cost of the GL2- go for it.

(I'm using a DVC80 and find the image quality superb- if the DVC30 produces near this quality of image with a 16X zoom lens- it should be awesome)

Frank Granovski December 26th, 2003 09:37 PM

Re: "DVC30??"

Maybe. It has 16X optical zoom. But it and the GL2 have smaller CCDs than the VX's and DVC80, so LUX is gonna hurt.

Steve Nunez December 26th, 2003 11:58 PM

Frank,

Mark says he primarily shoots nature shorts which would likely mean he's shooting most of his video outdoors- the lux rating of the DVC30 or GL2 at it's lowest setting (least light sensitivity) will likely be all he'd need and would likely never need turning up for increased light sensitivity....of course there maybe a time ot two when he'll want more light sensitivity, but being a past owner of the GL2 I think the DVC30 with it's smaller CCD's will be perfectly matched for the type of video he wants to make (assuming a similar light sentivity to that of the GL2)

Many people know the 2 definitive DV cameras used by pros today are the XL1S and Sony PD150 and the DVC80 soundly beats them both in terms of image quality and overall featureset (this is by other people's reviews).....if the DVC30 turns out to be a mini DVC80 type camera I doubt the GL2 or any other similarly priced camera is gonna beat it......but this is speculation as the DVC30 isn't even a real product at this time (not available that is).....
...that being said, I'd wager the DVC30 as the next best "handheld" prosumer miniDV cam to come out in 2004 around the $2000 mark...
...I myself am in the same exact circle of videography as Mark (nature vids) and can't wait for the DVC30 to come out....a mini DVC80 with 16X zoom Leica lens would be awesome...I can't wait.

Mark Williams December 27th, 2003 07:08 AM

Thanks for all your advice. The GL2 would probably make the most sense since thats what is currently available. But I can't get past all the problems I had with my GL-1, so its time to jump to another brand. When putting down this much money for a cam I just want to make sure that I make the right choice.

Steve, just think how awsome the DVC80 would be with a 16x or 20x lens. Unfortunately the only way I see to get there would be the century optics 1.6x tel lens at around $840 ...ouch!

By the way Steve, I am still planning to purchase the quickstream drive if the user reviews sound good.

Thanks again,

Mark

Steve Nunez December 27th, 2003 11:25 AM

Mark agreed- the DVC80 would have been a spectacular cam had it a 20x zoom lens......I wish it did have that- but it does have a nice WA view which can be good for nature videography as well- you can't have it all it seems (LOL).

I'm a little surprised you find the quality of Canon's GL1 faulty- the GL2 is a sweetheart amongst tons of pro DV shooters.....I had one loved and can't say enough good things about it....

...but if u think u can live with the DVC80's limited zoom range- I highly recommend it- for 60i shooting you really can't do much better- try one out and you'll see what I mean........

..have fun!

Steve Nunez December 27th, 2003 11:32 AM

Also forgot to add-

the Sony HG (high grade) 1.7X 58mm tele-lens add-on is superb and with a simple 72-58mm step-down ring you'd be able to use it with the DVC80 adding another 70% to your zoom range.....it's under $400 and is a great lens.
(you're gonna experience severe vignetting under 1/2 way zoom- but if you have it mounted on, chances are you're not going to use it under 1/2 way zoom anyway- it's a must have accessory for the serious videographer)

The Quickstream DV is a god-send- I will definitely be ordering one of them soon!