DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Where to buy PAL DVX100 in New York City - (B&H closed weekends...) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/19579-where-buy-pal-dvx100-new-york-city-b-h-closed-weekends.html)

Magnus Helander January 10th, 2004 10:02 AM

Where to buy PAL DVX100 in New York City - (B&H closed weekends...)

Looking to buy two PAL DVX100 cameras + additional gear during a weekend visit to New York City january 24 to 25. B&H is closed sat/sun - does anyone know of a NYC/Bkln/NJ store which is open weekends? Can rent a car if necessary...
Thanks!
/magnus

Yang Wen January 10th, 2004 10:18 AM

There are soo many shady places in NYC, I'd watch out. Better just not to risk buying it in NYC if B&H is not available.

Magnus Helander January 10th, 2004 10:32 AM

No fear

you're right, NYC eats people for breakfast, but I went to NYU film school 89-93, before the Giuliani clean-up.

Not that I'm NYC street-smart or anything, but some things I learned, especially when shooting a documentary for the Guardian Angels in Bronx..

/magnus

Chris Sorensen January 10th, 2004 10:40 AM

B&H is just closed Saturdays for the Jewish sabbath, not Sunday. It's open 10-5 on Sunday.

Magnus Helander January 10th, 2004 10:56 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Sorensen : B&H is just closed Saturdays for the Jewish sabbath, not Sunday. It's open 10-5 on Sunday. -->>>

I am such a schmuck
Thanks for the info,
moderator, pls kill this thread and spare me the embarrassment...

/magnus

Nick Kerpchar January 10th, 2004 03:40 PM

Magnus,
I just double checked the B&H web site and it states they are open on Sunday like Chris stated. I also checked the list of Holidays for which they close. Except for 01 January there are no other holidays listed for January. They should be open and ready for business. To be sure that they have what you want, you may want to send them an e-mail and see if they have the stuff in stock. Like chicken soup, "It couldn't hurt."

Hope you have a great visit. Nick

Magnus Helander January 10th, 2004 06:24 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Kerpchar : To be sure that they have what you want, you may want to send them an e-mail and see if they have the stuff in stock. Like chicken soup, "It couldn't hurt."

Hope you have a great visit. Nick -->>>'

Hi Nick,
now I see it on the website, I was looking at the bottom, after Saturday in the "Hours of operation". Neat trick to put Sunday on top of the list. Me so European.

I don't expect much to be like I remeber it. Last time in NYC was four years ago, and I couldn't believe how clean everything had become. Disney on 42nd street...
And now after 9/11 I have no idea of what kind city I'll meet.

I'll definetively give B&H a call and make sure they have PAL units on the shelves.
Thanks,
Magnus

Matthew de Jongh January 11th, 2004 10:28 AM

B&H is always my first choice, but for my dvx-100a i had to get it from abel cinema in staten island is B&H didn't (still doesn't?) have the dvx-100a

but i am pretty sure they would have a 100 - pal

matthew

Eric Lenz January 11th, 2004 08:34 PM

B&H is selling the 100a, I purchased mine in person on December 29th and have put 24 hours on it since.

Jarred Land January 12th, 2004 03:39 AM

Good thing is most of the shady places in NY that sell on the internet you cant really goto.. they are just blank store fronts in the ghetto.

Nick Kerpchar January 12th, 2004 09:18 AM

Magnus,

"And now after 9/11 I have no idea of what kind city I'll meet."

I have not been to NYC in a few years. Perhaps some of the folks in and around the City can comment on that. I would suspect that security may be a bit more visible but probably only an American would notice that since we didn't have many law enforcement people with automatic weapons walking in pairs on the streets and in the airports like other countries around the world have been doing for quite some time before 9/11.

There is so much to see and do in NYC. I think I saw that you are currently in Sweden. January in NYC should be like Springtime in Sweden so weather shouldn't be a problem unless it snows. Unfortunately, the snow tends to get dirty and gray a day after it falls. But no matter, there will be lots to see indoors and your shopping trip to B&H should be exciting.

Good luck, good health. Nick

Art Guglielmo January 13th, 2004 09:08 AM

I live in the NY area, and other than B&H and Adorama, I'd be careful. Most of these websites aren't actual locations at all.
I bought my 100a from B&H, and although it cost a bit more than some listing, I got it with piece of mind that if i have a problem, it will be dealt with properly.