DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Panasonic DVX100 Setup Menus - Supplement (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/21720-panasonic-dvx100-setup-menus-supplement.html)

Stephen van Vuuren January 18th, 2004 11:05 PM

Detailed brochure on DVX100 settings

PAL brochure but very useful all DVX100 users with example shots and explanations of camera settings, menu etc.

http://www.rexelvideo.com.au/Whats%2...x100powerl.pdf

Kaifoong Kok January 28th, 2004 01:44 PM

Thanks Stephen, it's interesting

Dean Harrington January 28th, 2004 09:36 PM

Thanks.....

Nice to have that.

Ken Tanaka February 21st, 2004 02:10 PM

Panasonic DVX100 Setup Menus - Supplement

Jan Crittenden of Panasonic Broadcast has kindly sent us a copy of Harry Fould's "The AG-DVX100 Setup Menus; A Guide for Getting the Most From Your 60i, 30p, 24p Camcorder". I think you'll find this 42 page Acrobat file to be a welcome supplementary reference to the DVX100 and even to the newer DVX100A.

Table of Contents
1. Introduction
2. How to Use the Menus
3. Quick Menu Index
4. Camera Menus
___4.1 Scene File
___4.2 Camera Setup
___4.3 SW Mode
___4.4 Auto SW
___4.5 Recording Setup
___4.6 Display Setup
___4.7 Other Functions
5. VCR Mode Menus
___5.1 Playback Functions
___5.2 Recording Setup
___5.3 AV In/Out Setup
___5.4 Display Setup
___5.5 Other Functions
6. Glossary

So make a pot of coffee, pull out that camera, download and print this guide and do some book learnin'!

You can download the PDF from this link.

Jan Crittenden Livingston February 21st, 2004 02:25 PM

Re: Panasonic DVX100 Setup Menus - Supplement

Thanks, Ken,

And post your thoughts here, looking for feedback as Harry is going to work on a DVX100A manual. So what would you like explained?

Best regards.

Jan

Stephen van Vuuren February 21st, 2004 02:27 PM

Thanks Jan & Ken. I've made this sticky to keep it at the top of the forum.

Per a manual, I would like to see a included CD with sample images taken at the various camera settings for a quick visual reference for the many "looks".

Magnus Helander February 23rd, 2004 01:41 AM

Re: Re: Panasonic DVX100 Setup Menus - Supplement

<<<-- Originally posted by Jan Crittenden : Thanks, Ken,

And post your thoughts here, looking for feedback as Harry is going to work on a DVX100A manual. So what would you like explained?

Jan -->>>

Hello Jan,
here's an idea for a manual, try working from real life scenarios,

"You're shooting news outdoors for your local TV station"
"You are shooting a film for DV-to-film transfer"
"You are interviewing someone in tungsten/flourescent lights"
"You are making a outdoor action sport movie"
"You are in a dimly lit basement documenting a performance"

and give some suggestions for basic set-up and where to tweak for best results. That would put all menu options into context and make them meaningful.

Of course you will get flamed from someone "who would NEVER use the ND filter in THAT situation" but that's passion.

From reading this forum and many others i gather that many users have never used/owned a camera this advanced before, a pro camera hasn't been in the "justifyably affordable" (sorry, non-native creative license with english language) range until now.

I have the DVX100ae, and the funny thing is I just can't find anything which is irritating in day by day use, everything with this camera is in harmony, sort of. Optimal balance of trade-offs, the technical term would be, I think. Good job! Curiosity: what
is the strategy the dvx uses to find end of last recording on the tape, i assume it's not just randomly cueing the tape...

regards
/magnus

Christopher Go February 23rd, 2004 11:23 PM

Thanks! Going through the supplement now. I'll be sure to provide feedback soon.

Jan, when do you think we can expect an AG-DVX100A version?

Jan Crittenden Livingston February 24th, 2004 05:35 AM

Christopher asked:
Jan, when do you think we can expect an AG-DVX100A version?

Don't have an exact time frame but it is under development.

Jan

Christopher Go February 25th, 2004 08:58 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Jan!

Chris Leong March 17th, 2005 06:48 PM

Checklist

Thanks all, especially Jan, for this splendid document!

I't making a big difference to me, I just bought a used 100 and even reading through the manual thoroughly didn't yield as much ready information as your supplement has provided.

If I have any supplemental questions, can I post them here?

Thanks!
Cheers
Chris

Jan Crittenden Livingston March 17th, 2005 07:19 PM

Sure.

There is another book that has since been published by Barry Green that takes all of this another notch. He includes a DVD tutorial. You can buy it off of Amazon.com, it is called the DVX Book and DVD. Best $69.95 you will spend.

Best,

Jan

Chris Leong March 17th, 2005 07:25 PM

Yeah, I have that and the DVD already. The thing is, it makes an awful lot out of the 100a and not a lot out of the 100.
Thanks
Cheers
Chris

Jan Crittenden Livingston March 17th, 2005 08:37 PM

Interesting that you say that, as I don't see it that way. And perhaps that is because the 100 was the foundation for everything and as I read the material and looked at the
dvd and knowing that Barry owns the 100 not the 100A, I sort of felt there was a slant to the 100. ;-)

Best,

Jan

Chris Leong March 17th, 2005 08:47 PM

Hi Jan
You're right, it's just that there are so many (DXV100A ONLY)'s through it that it gets a little annoying to see what the A will do that the 100 will not.
If I didn't know any better I'd think that this was a book to make one think about moving up to the 100a jsut to make use of the book's full contents...

Just my own 2c, I hasten to add. It's all great information regardless. I guess I'd have preferred the 100a information to be in its own section (which would have made the book twice as think, of course).

Again, no flames please. Just my own personal feelings.

Cheers
Chris