DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Need a Camera Now (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/21790-need-camera-now.html)

Edward Kennedy February 23rd, 2004 05:37 PM

John why would I be concerned about going up to 60i at some later date?

David Feburary is al most over so it will be in March, why is the month so critical? And I thought I mentioned renting for a week to do a demo for the proposal, The actual program thaat I want to document is 21 weeks long. I will be shooting off and all for the entirety of the program.

If is were a shorter period of time I would have just tapped someone else to shoot it.

Barry Green February 23rd, 2004 05:38 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : dont forget this, if you shoot in 60i you can convert to anything else, But if you shoot in 24p you cant convert up to anything else. -->>>

Incorrect. If you shoot in 24P, you can easily convert to PAL, to film, to 60i, to DVD, to high-def... you can convert to anything.

If you shoot in 30P, that's when you're pigeonholed. 30P only converts to 60i, it can't go to PAL or film. 24P is the most universal format there is.

Barry Green February 23rd, 2004 05:38 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : dont forget this, if you shoot in 60i you can convert to anything else, But if you shoot in 24p you cant convert up to anything else. -->>>

Incorrect. If you shoot in 24P, you can easily convert to PAL, to film, to 60i, to DVD, to high-def... you can convert to anything.

If you shoot in 30P, that's when you're pigeonholed. 30P only converts to 60i, it can't go to PAL or film. 24P is the most universal format there is.

David Ziegelheim February 23rd, 2004 06:50 PM

NAB is in April. There are widely rumored announcements from Canon. Panasonic appears to have discontinued the DVC200, so I expect a replacement. Rumors also surround Sony.

I don't KNOW what will be announced. But I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see 24p in some models, 12-bit ADC universally (14-bit in Sony's), some 16x9, and possibly some HDV 3-CCD cameras.

So where the DVX100A is the only came in town NOW, in a few months there may be some alternatives. For a long-term real gig, a 1/2"CCD 24p DVX200 could be a good camera to use.

Keep in mind, the lens in a 1/2" CCD camera costs more than the best 1/3" CCD camera complete!

John Gaspain February 23rd, 2004 09:50 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : <<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : dont forget this, if you shoot in 60i you can convert to anything else, But if you shoot in 24p you cant convert up to anything else. -->>>

If you shoot in 30P, that's when you're pigeonholed. 30P only converts to 60i, it can't go to PAL or film. 24P is the most universal format there is. -->>>

my point being, that converting 24p to 30p you are adding frames to the mix, You can do it, but I dont recommend it

David Ziegelheim February 24th, 2004 07:49 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain :

If you shoot in 30P, that's when you're pigeonholed. 30P only converts to 60i, it can't go to PAL or film. 24P is the most universal format there is. -->>>

my point being, that converting 24p to 30p you are adding frames to the mix, You can do it, but I dont recommend it -->>>

Every movie is converted from 24p to 30p/60i for DVD. It actually adds a half frame after every 2 frames.

Edward Kennedy February 24th, 2004 09:05 AM

David, April hey. That works out fine, I can rent a 100a shoot the demo, start fund raising and will be ready to shoot in June. Very cool.

As for the 24p thing, I was really scared for a minute when I saw the post about conversion problems which was the opposite of very thing I understood to be. But it did raise another question why would need to convert 24p to 30i?

David Ziegelheim February 24th, 2004 12:00 PM

There is no 30i. But there is a 30p.

Barry Green February 24th, 2004 05:49 PM

For some reason Avid users seem to cling to the "30i" terminology, wheras the camera manufacturers have standardized on calling it "60i".

So, when someone says "30i" they are most likely referring to "60i".

Edward Kennedy February 25th, 2004 02:19 AM

sorry for not minding my p's and i's.

Shawn Mielke February 25th, 2004 02:58 AM

Hee!