DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Laguna Beach (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/35418-laguna-beach.html)

Greg Harris November 24th, 2004 08:09 AM

Laguna Beach

I have been watching this show, trying to figure out if its a REAL reality show. It looks like it's shot with film. But also saw someone in the background holding a dvx100. Not sure if the show is shot with hit, and if it's infact REAL or scripted.
thanks?

Andrew Ferrell November 28th, 2004 01:44 PM

Greg, this show is a true reality show. According to MTV producers the entire show is shot on the DVX100. I don't remember where I saw this, but I do know I saw it somewhere.

Greg Harris November 29th, 2004 07:08 AM

I love how they make it look fantastic. Geez, I have this cam, and I think they make it look better than I do. The 24p looks amazing.

Andrew Ferrell November 29th, 2004 04:21 PM

Yes, it is amazing. I believe they edit with Avid. Something in post helps to create that film look. It would cost alot of money to shoot film for that show, especially with as much as they shoot. For every half hour show, they must average, three to four days work of footage. But, bumping up your shudder speed might help to increase the look.

Stefan Scherperel November 30th, 2004 02:42 AM

I'm sure there is some color correction in post, but the "look" is all dvx. You couldn't get that look from a pd150!

Josh Bass November 30th, 2004 02:50 AM

You know what's funny is there's another thread about this exact topic mentioning that they use SDX900s, not DVXs. Who's right?

Greg Harris November 30th, 2004 12:49 PM

well in the episode when they go camping on the beach, you see a dvx100 in a clip for about 3 minutes.

John DeLuca November 30th, 2004 10:41 PM

I agree with josh. On dvxuser.com, they claim sdx900s are used. The rumor got started when the kids where playing with the dvx in a tent on the show. Some footage looks soft, so its hard to tell.

John

Sean Woods December 1st, 2004 01:45 AM

Actually...

A short write-up in Videography's November issue claims they use Panasonic DVCPRO50 cameras.

Jan Crittenden Livingston December 4th, 2004 06:46 AM

As with many shoots that involve the SDX900, the DVX100 is a nice little B Roll camera. Laguna Beach is done for the mainstay with the SDX900. The DVX is used where needed.

I just saw a film, E5, at the REGAL Theater here in NYC, that was shot on the SDX900, but about 10-15% was shot with the DVX. They did a great job mixing the two and because they used the DVX where it does best, I could not tell from where I was sitting which footage was shot with the DVX. It was an A version that they used.

FWIW,

Jan

Aaron Shaw December 4th, 2004 09:26 AM

When did they use the DVX as opposed to the SDX900?

Ryan Koo January 3rd, 2005 11:13 PM

Any show you see shot in 24P these days is often using a DVX as a B-camera (or two), because they're so cheap and manueverable. Laguna beach, Wild Boyz, the And 1 Mix Tape Tour...

This goes for some HD programming too--HD concerts etc. often have some backstage DVX's.