DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Which tape to use with DVX100A?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/47716-tape-use-dvx100a.html)

Steph Grueso July 14th, 2005 04:03 PM

Which tape to use with DVX100A??

Hi,
I will soon get my new Panasonic AG-DVX100A and now I am deciding which brand of mini dv tapes to use. I had a Sony PD100 and I used the TDK MEs for years without any problem. Now there are this Panasonic tapes.... I know tha you are suppoded to keep to one brand or one typ, like "ME" but , now with the new camera I do not know if I should keep with the TDKs or go to the panasonic or what.......
Do you have any experience?
Can you point me to some web where the tapes are compared?
Or some web where this subject was already discussed?
Is there any "special need" with this camera regarding the tapes?
Which ones do you use?

Thank you in advance!

John Hudson July 14th, 2005 06:09 PM

Hi Steph

I prefer and stick with

Panasonic

AY-DVM63MQ

John C. Lyons July 15th, 2005 07:47 AM

use Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ and no other

Boyd Ostroff July 15th, 2005 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph Grueso
Can you point me to some web where the tapes are compared?

Sure, and you don't even need to leave DVInfo.net! http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Jordan Mooney July 28th, 2005 01:50 AM

I ordered a dvc30, my friend has an fx1, i am going to need to give him some of the footage from my camera, is it ok to put a different type of tape into a camera just to capture footage? Or is that only when actually recording that it is bad? Because he uses Sony tapes, and since i have not actually recieved my camera yet, i was wondering what types of tapes i should use go ahead and use panasonic? or just use sony? or if it makes a difference? thanks for the help

John C. Lyons July 29th, 2005 09:18 AM

if it was me i would use the same tapes always in the same camera.

so if i filmed with a Panny MQ tape in a DVX i would either capture with that DVX or buy a cheap-o miniDV cam for capture and always just use MQ tapes in that as well.

if youre sharing tapes or cameras with someone i would make sure you both are using the same tapes. or borrow his camera for capture on the stuff they filmed and vice versa.

Boyd Ostroff July 29th, 2005 09:23 AM

Personally I wouldn't put a panasonic tape in my Z1 after using only Sony tapes in it. Also probably a bad idea for you to use a Sony tape. I don't know that anything bad would happen from one tape, but why take chances?

There is a much easier solution if you can get the two cameras together. Just connect the firewire ports to each other with a 4-pin cable. Press play on your DVC-30 and record on the FX1.

Jordan Mooney July 29th, 2005 11:52 AM

Yeah, i was thinking of just doing that, but see i have not filmed with my dvc30 yet, thats why i asked should i just use sony tapes from the start, since thats what he uses?

Jon Fordham August 8th, 2005 07:47 PM

Sony DVM60EX

An article published in Videography Magazine several years ago reported that their test revealed Sony's DVM60 EX "Excellence" tapes to have a higher coercity and rentivity rating than ALL other MiniDV tapes.

Sony tapes are more widely used than Panasonic. Panasonic tapes seem to only be used by the DVX crowd. I would suggest Sony EX tapes based on their tested and proven quality along with their ubiquitous use.

Peter Jefferson August 8th, 2005 10:05 PM

"An article published in Videography Magazine several years ago reported that their test revealed Sony's DVM60 EX "Excellence" tapes to have a higher coercity and rentivity rating than ALL other MiniDV tapes.

Sony tapes are more widely used than Panasonic. Panasonic tapes seem to only be used by the DVX crowd. I would suggest Sony EX tapes based on their tested and proven quality along with their ubiquitous use."

Thats one magazine which is probably borrowing Sony units as indefinite loans for review and day to day use.. it happens and the media are blatant about this..
I personally dont see how sony is outselling Pana tapes.. but i really dont care about sales.. it is irrelevant to the workmanship of a product. One companies marketting machine may be stronger than another, but that doesnt mean to say the product is better..
Also ive sold about 5 Sony tapes to every 100 MQ's... so again that initial sales comment means nothing to me im afraid..

Ive used MQ tapes due to price, and quality, and cannot find fault in them. Ive used the same tapes in the HDV Cams, as well as the DVX units, and ive never had a dropout. I say never as in NEVER... JVC (being owned by matsushita) have now licensed and rebranded the same tapes for the HD100 units.. everythign is identical apart from the stickers on the tapes..
I cant say the same thing about dropouts on Sony tapes.

Paul Leung August 9th, 2005 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
JVC (being owned by matsushita) have now licensed and rebranded the same tapes for the HD100 units.. everythign is identical apart from the stickers on the tapes..
I cant say the same thing about dropouts on Sony tapes.

Peter,
Would the JVC tape be cheaper than the original panasonic MQ tape?

Peter Jefferson August 9th, 2005 05:10 AM

nah, its actually a lil more coz theyre going to nail the paranoids on the drop out issue... lol

Cashing in on the fear factor i guess.. ROFLMAO
Good on em! Hey Sony did it with their Pro end tapes.. i mean cmon, $27AUD for one 63 minute tape.. yeah sure, go shoot a 2cam 15 hour wedding with that.. great for the budget... NOT

some people are misinformed though... and this is what these companies rely on to sell things at stupidly high prices.. fear and paranoia