DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Master Detail & Detail Coring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/531251-master-detail-detail-coring.html)

Joachim Claus February 25th, 2016 11:00 AM

Master Detail & Detail Coring

2 Attachment(s)
I have my DVX200 for about 5 months now and made a number of test videos to get experienced with this camcorder. All videos were shot in UHD 50p. I use Barry Greens scene file 6 (standard) with some modifications:
Chroma Level from -12 to -9,
Master Ped from -9 to -4
Gamma Mode from Cine-Like V to Film-Like 3

With this setting I got good results. Nevertheless, I found some daylight conditions, where I was not satisfied with the camera's results. Especially with blue sky I found some issues:
1. In general the blue sky shows nice blue in the upper part of the screen, but it shifts to turquois in the lower part.
2. Details, like small branches of a tree, get a bluish outline when they are in front of the blue sky. they look nice in front of white clouds.
3. In grey clouds there is some visibly noise.

My estimation was, that there is too much detail signal which leads to overshooting at the edges, especially with the blue channel.

Therefor I made some tests with reduced Master Detail and increased Detail Coring. I found a good compromise between enhanced details with little overshooting at edges in front of blue sky, and reduced noise in grey clouds. My setting was Master Detail = -6 and Detail Coring = 2.

I add some screenshots of videos taken with the original values (Master Detail = 0, Detail Coring = 1), file 01330004, and my setting as mentioned above, file 01330007.

Joachim

David Heath February 25th, 2016 06:00 PM

Re: Master Detail & Detail Coring

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Claus (Post 1909758)
My estimation was, that there is too much detail signal which leads to overshooting at the edges, especially with the blue channel.

Therefor I made some tests with reduced Master Detail and increased Detail Coring. I found a good compromise between enhanced details with little overshooting at edges in front of blue sky, .........

Reducing master detail may be a good idea here, but I doubt on those images you're really seeing what the increased detail coring is doing.

The latter does have a noise reduction effect, it's true, but it does it by suppressing *subtle* detail. So whilst on the images you show the main effect is of noise reduction, on a different type of image it could cause more problems than it helps. The typical effect is seen as "puddingy" faces. The outline of the basic features is sharp, but the subtle skin detail is missing.

Generally it's a good idea to keep coring levels turned well down. The big danger of the control is that it may make one type of picture look somewhat better overall - but look very poor on a different type of picture.