DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX100 Users - Likes and Dislikes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/6562-dvx100-users-likes-dislikes.html)

E-Gene Soh February 3rd, 2003 04:19 AM

DVX100 Users - Likes and Dislikes

Hi all,

I think that it is time for the DVX100 users(or anyone who has played with the camera) out there to tell us their likes and dislikes about the camera.

I think that there are many users, like myself, on this forum who are considering getting this camera and would really appreciate input from current users who have been using it.

Thank you.

Steve Nunez February 3rd, 2003 07:57 AM

Form factor, build quality and general aesthetic "pro" look...excellent video quality and menu system, as well as control layout.....just the best MiniDV cam bar none (in my opinion- and i've had just about all the pro top models)...it also is very customizeable and is powerfly flexible.

Dislikes:
Limited zoom range.....I understand this is due to it's wider than usual wide angle lens design and target "cinema- indie" filmaker audience- but it hampers nature videography where telephoto performance is important (still the realm of the Canon XL 1S)

Aside the new JVC "Hi-Def" camera that's soon to be released, this is the "rage" in current Mini DV technology.

Taro Beckwith February 3rd, 2003 04:04 PM

Likes (they far outweigh my dislikes):
1) Gorgeous picture quality, with many aspects of the picture being customizable
2) XLR inputs with phantom power sound fantastic with a good microphone
3) 24P really does give your footage that film-like feel
4) Many useful functions are easily accessible by switches on the outside of the camera, not nested inside a menu

Dislikes:
1) Cannot change lenses, and the included lens is rather wide, as mentioned above, and is hard to get closeups when you are positioned far from the subject. Hopefully the Century Optics telephoto adapter will work.
2) The manual zoom ring is really loose, I would prefer it to have a little more resistance
3) The focus ring is the spinning-to-no-end type
4) Sucks up batteries like candy
5) LCD display is hard to focus with at times
6) Onboard microphone is not that great (although considering the price-point, this is not a surprise)

Steve Nunez February 3rd, 2003 04:13 PM

I've done a bit of researching and have found that the Pan does indeed have a 10X optical zoom- but it's super-wide angle lens is just so wide that when it zooms in- it doesn't appear as effective as a GL2 (or other optical zoom cameras)...

...but there seems to be a solution on the horizon with Century... let's see.

David Nussbaum February 5th, 2003 09:47 AM

Like:

-Amazing Quality.
-Sound with my SGM x2 Mic made me die with joy.
-Easy to learn.

Dislike:

-Zoom is a little wobbly when lightly touched
-focus is the infinity one like someone said.
-Menu is hard to navigate. sometimes ill press it in when i want it up.
-sometimes my camera, when im zoomed in all the way, itll slowly zoom out unwanted.
-battery whore. (WITHOUT LCD)
-no 16x9 guidelines. Only black bars are available.

May seem like alot of dislikes, but it really isnt. Its just minor stuff. Its oh so worth it for that 24fps...

Mark Monciardini July 17th, 2003 11:12 PM

1.) Large barrel
2.) Focus ring
3.) Wide angle lens
4.) Large view finder
5.) Audio controls
6.) User Presets
7.) XLR inputs
8.) Audio levels on LCD

Dislikes

1.) Menu control knob (the "push in to select" is a little cheesy)
2.) Long delay after pressing the record button (probably the biggest of all). The sony cams I have start recording right after you press the red button. This one takes to long if you are trying to cetch a shot.
3.) Internal Mic pick up.
4.) Sucks batteries
5.) Doesn't tell you how many minutes left on battery.