DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Confused about UV filters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/67546-confused-about-uv-filters.html)

Ashley Cooper May 17th, 2006 02:30 AM

Confused about UV filters

My DVX100b just arrived and I wanted to buy a UV filter to protect its lens. So, I called a couple a local Wolf Camera, which was just closing for the day. The salesman there told me all they had in stock was a "1A" UV filter (for $25), which he explained was basically just a piece of glass and wouldn't affect the way the camera views things at all.
Then I called another Wolf Camera to see what they had in stock. The salesman there told me that a UV filter only affects light invisible to the human eye, so any UV filter that doesn't add warming shouldn't affect the camera at all. He said they had several models in stock but advised their multicoated UV filter for $30.
I've been trying to do more research on this (reading posts, looking at B&H filters online, etc), but I'm still a bit confused. I'd like to protect the lens and also do what is considered standard practice as I'll be renting the camera out a good bit. Wouldn't want to put a filter on the camera and that makes it stand out and have a renter take it off during a shoot. So, any advice on what kind of UV filter is best for these purposes is greatly appreciated.
Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Peter Jefferson May 18th, 2006 08:21 AM

filters..

just a piece of glass and wouldn't affect the way the camera views things at all.

Wrong...

sorry to say it but ANYTHING you put in front of the lense will affect the image.. clear or not, ur adding another element to the lens configuration which will affect focus, and exposure.

UV filters are clear adn can be used for almost any environment. I woudlnt touch a $30 unit and "multicoated means jack if the coat filtering isnt evened out.

What u want is a GROUND GLASS filter... these arent cheap (as in the filtering chemical is embedded within the glass itself, OR the glass itself is made with the filtering protection (Liek expensive sunglasses) but they wont fade and wont wear out like coated filters.
This fading is prominant on Polarizers and circular polarisers more than standard UV clear units

good luck with it.. i dont even use UV filters anymore.. i just use a circular polariser when i need to and thats about it..

Chris Suzor May 20th, 2006 11:21 AM

After shooting a beach scene with lots of wind, I had a heck of a time cleaning the front element of the lens from the sea spray... since then, I bought a Hoya 72mm Super HMC UV(0) Filter online for not much (locally I found it at around $100!), and it stays on. Easy to clean and tough, but dust specks can become in-focus, so it has to be kept clean always.

Paul Reichelt June 7th, 2006 11:39 AM

So any other suggestions on UV Filters that are a good mix of quality and value?

Preferrably something in the $50 to $150 range (or under obviously :P)

Peter Jefferson June 7th, 2006 10:24 PM

Cokin make some nice filters

Matt Stahley June 8th, 2006 01:24 AM

As does B+W.

Tom Hardwick June 13th, 2006 05:10 AM

Good points raised here. To summarise - don't use filters unless you have to, and sandy beaches, rented-out cameras, sticky-fingered children's parties are good reasons to protect the front element.

The DVX has that mask which makes cleaning the front element difficult, but it also has a very short focal length of 4.5 mm, so utter cleanliness is very important. Remember that adding a filter adds to the flare levels (two more air-to-glass surfaces, yet adding a filter diminishes the efficiency of the stock hood. It's a trade-off that you need to want really badly in my view.

tom.

Peter Jefferson June 14th, 2006 12:47 AM

"but it also has a very short focal length of 4.5 mm" the beauty and the beast of this camera in a number...::) no shit, ive never experienced a camcorder of this range with a fixed lens with THIS kind of macro precision..