DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Sound help needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/77851-sound-help-needed.html)

Erick Santos October 20th, 2006 08:39 AM

Sound help needed

I just recently bought a AG - DVC-30. I need some tips because im going to record a friends sweet 16. The camera got here about a week ago. Seeing as i spend about 2k one the camera i dont thave the cash to buy a shotgun microphone. So i need help in what i can do so the sounds doesnt comeout bad. I dont know much about filming but ive been interested in it for a long time. The last couple of times ive used the sounds seems to uh..flucuate(?) sound seems fine but then you can barely hear it when you play it back on the tv. So i really need youre help guys. thanks in advace. And are there any sites i can visit for tips and such. thanks again.

Rob Lohman October 20th, 2006 10:17 AM

Erick, I've moved (and renamed) your thread to the Panasonic forum

Michael Fossenkemper October 23rd, 2006 07:02 AM

The onboard mic of the DVC30 is pretty bad. It's about as sensitive as a Viking Warrior. I would try and get your hands on ANY mic to use.

Dino Santoro October 31st, 2006 09:22 AM

If I were you, I'd pick up a good (relative to your budget) camera mounted mic. I have a sennheiser ME64 and it worked great at a recent wedding.

Erick Santos November 1st, 2006 08:14 AM

update

After playing back what i recorded at the Ceremony the sound was weak. i couldnt really hear anything. Instead of using auto sound I switched to Manual Sound and used that instead. The sound was a bit better but still bad. At the party the Sound was so much better because there were speakers playing music and such. I just went to B&H yesterday and bought a rode camera. The looks cheap so im not sure if its a good brand or not. Ill check the model later since im at school. I have a question; can too much sound damage the microphone? What programs do you guys use to edit videos? Any other tips for improving my filming. thanks a lot in advance.

David Ennis November 1st, 2006 06:46 PM

You probably meant to say you bought a Rode VideoMic. Yes, they look cheap but their sound is excellent. I've bought four of them (one for me and three for my school).

I won't say it's impossible to damage a mic with sound, but unless it's a ribbon mic it's extremely unlikely. When the sound becomes louder than the mic is rated for the first thing that happens is that the sound is distorted. But the mic is not being damaged. It would take a LOT more energy to damage the mic.

I use Sony Vegas for editing. I tried Adobe Premier, but I liked Vegas better. Be aware that if you're a high school or college student you qualify for significant discounts on most software. Academicsuperstore.com is a big online supplier, and there are others.

Erick Santos November 3rd, 2006 06:29 PM

Sorry. I meant a Rode Videomic Directional Video Condenser Microphone. Bought it at B&H. Payed $150. Im very new to all of this though i am very interested in it. Is there a website where i can learn all the terms. Such as different kinds of microphones, techniques and such. I went to Barnes&Noble the other day but they have very few books on Filming. Are there Tutorials for Sony Vegas 7? I haven't been able to find any. Im trying to edit the ceremony i filmed but i dont think i can edit the sound in SOny. Ill try experimenting and look through the internet. Thanks Again.

Noel Evans November 7th, 2006 06:25 AM

Nothing performs great at a party with crowds, music. But a mic can take a sonic boom and be OK what it records may sound like my dump this morning.

Great sound is another ballgame entirely that will cost you more than the price of your cam and much more to achieve. Sound though is subjective like images. Whats acceptable can vary.