DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Urgent enquiry - DVX-100A (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/78530-urgent-enquiry-dvx-100a.html)

Robbie Dorward October 30th, 2006 04:27 PM

Urgent enquiry - DVX-100A

Hey guys,

I've been a member for a while, but although i read your stuff a lot of the time, i rarely post, so can i take this opportunity to thank you all for posting such ensightful & useful info on here. Now to the brunt of it. I'm doing a video project at uni, which has to be shot within the next 2 months. I had bought a dvx100A from a bloke on ebay (i live in the UK), sold my car and everything to pay for it, now he refuses to send because he received a higher offer after the auction ended. Anyway, I'm looking to buy one from the states, and just to clarify, the whole NTSC/PAL thing doesnt matter for me because it shoots 24fps. Am i right? Will i still be able to edit using UK software? Many thanks guys!

Best Regards

Rob

Benjamin Hill October 30th, 2006 08:15 PM

Rob, buy a PAL video camera.

Saturnin Kondratiew October 30th, 2006 10:34 PM

yah..dont get ntsc.. pal only bro!

Dino Santoro October 31st, 2006 09:19 AM

I agree buy pal. Also, try to buy locally and in person if possible.

Robbie Dorward October 31st, 2006 11:20 AM

I thought the dvx100a was universal? As in neither pal nor NTSC? Is this wrong then? Cheers.

Dino Santoro October 31st, 2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie Dorward
I thought the dvx100a was universal? As in neither pal nor NTSC? Is this wrong then? Cheers.

The dvx100a will either be NTSC or PAL. The reason for this is that North america and Europe have different electrical outputs.

Benjamin Hill October 31st, 2006 02:38 PM

Rob, you might be thinking of the high-definition specification which is neither PAL nor NTSC. I believe there are some HDV cameras that are both PAL & NTSC, you might look into that if you need something for both continents. Either way I recommend you purchase a camera locally, especially if you are getting a used one.

Noel Evans November 7th, 2006 06:16 AM

Sorry but last two posts are inaccurate.

PAL and NTSC ARE different htz rating NTSC 60 Pal 50, but the underlying factor is how the image is dealt with on local TV standards.

HD is still PAL and NTSC, Pal 50i NTSC 60i. The image is inherently large however and can usually cross borders without issue especially as a FCP user.

Robbie there is no UNIVERSAL camera. When your talking about PAL land you will always be in 25fps for film and NTSC land 24fps for film. Video cameras with thier filmic 24p or 25p work the same.

But absolutely buy PAL if your in PAL land.

Benjamin Hill November 29th, 2006 08:27 PM

Noel, referring to HD as PAL or NTSC is not accurate since PAL and NTSC refer to analog standard definition systems. There is, however, 50Hz HD and 60Hz HD as you point out, but they are not technically PAL or NTSC.

Peter Jefferson November 30th, 2006 03:32 AM

if u won the cam on ebay, then u are legally entitled to buy it, it is a BINDING contract, contact ebay and make a complaint.

as for PAL and NTSZC, when in PAL land, do as the PALians do...