DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Time code in question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/8108-time-code-question.html)

Alex Portugal March 28th, 2003 01:02 AM

Time code in question

------Yes. "A SMPTE time code reader/generator is built-in. The time code generator records VITC on the sub-code area of the tape. DF/NDF (Drop Frame/Non Drop Frame) and Free Run/Record Run modes can be selected with preset or regen. User Bits (UB) are also provided, letting you record your choice of date, time, TC value, frame rate or user data."------

This was written in regards to the DVX100 Timecode function. I would like a brief discription of these functions as well as their uses so that I could better use this camera when recording audio.

Thank you in advance.

Alex

Jeff Donald March 30th, 2003 04:25 PM

VITC is vertical interval time code. The signal is encoded into the vertical interval and is easier to read in slow motion, jog or still mode.

Drop frame time code drops a frame number (not an actual frame of video, just the frame number) to maintain sync between 29.97 frames per second and clock time.

Non Drop Frame counts 30 frames to a second which results in an inaccuracy between the time code and clock time. NDF is a problem in broadcast.

Free run has the time code running all the time. Time code could be synced to clock time and keep accuracy when the tape is paused or stopped.

Record run keeps the time code numbering contiguous. When the tape is stopped, TC is stopped.

User bits allow the user to add their own information in an alpha numeric manner (date, time, tape number etc.)

Preset time code allows the user to set the time code. 1 hour can be set for tape one, 2 hour can be set for the second tape etc.

Regen allows the TC clock to read and existing time code (acquired during pre roll, before recording) and match frame the TC at the record point.

Alex Portugal March 31st, 2003 12:05 PM

Time Code

Jeff,
Thanks for the info and your time.

Alex

Aaron Koolen September 25th, 2003 05:30 PM

I have a question regarding the timecode on the dvx100. It says in the manual that you can set both the timecode and the subcode. I've heard all manner of stories saying that you can't set the timecode on the DV25 format but this would seem to be otherwise on the DVX100. I thought that the one of the things with DVCAM was that you could set the timecode.

So my question is, with the DVX100, can I really set up my timecode, so that when it's captures I can use hours for tape# or scene# etc?

Cheers
Aaron

Jon Fordham September 26th, 2003 08:35 AM

As Jeff stated:

<<Preset time code allows the user to set the time code. 1 hour can be set for tape one, 2 hour can be set for the second tape etc.>>

Yes, this is a feature of the DVX100. By selecting the TC Preset option from the Recording Setup menu, you can set the timecode to whatever value you desire.

Setting timecode is a feature of Sony's DVCAM cameras. Not a feature of the DVCAM format. Setting timecode is a gear feature, not a format feature. There are many other MiniDV cameras that offer timecode preset as well.