DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Need Panasonic Advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/83592-need-panasonic-advice.html)

Barry Rivadue January 10th, 2007 03:37 PM

Need Panasonic Advice

I have a DVX100, but what I need right now is a relatively inexpensive second Panasonic (below DVC30-level) in which I can transfer VHS tapes onto digital tape. The key of course is having compatible RCA A/V jacks on the camcorder. This second camcorder would be a basic workhorse to take the load off the DVX100. I also want it a Panasonic because I can use the same batteries as the DVX100.

Thanks, everybody! Any ideas?

Leigh Wanstead January 10th, 2007 04:09 PM

I think any panasonic minidv camera should be fine, i.e. my nv-gs400 minidv camera. ;-)

Regards
Leigh

Barry Rivadue January 10th, 2007 06:12 PM

Thanks; I was hoping though, ideally, for something sub-$600 since it'll just be for transfer purposes rather than using as any kind of critical taping.

Tom Mussatto January 10th, 2007 10:31 PM

The GS series of Pana cams do not use the same batteries as the DVX or DVC's. If you want the second cam to use the same batteries as your DVX you'll have to get the DVC30/60 or find a used older model consumer Pana.

Barry Rivadue January 10th, 2007 10:53 PM

Okay, thanks--I didn't realize that. That being the case, I might consider another brand if I have to get different batteries anyway. The main thing is to have the right output/jacks, such as the RCA type. Anything not topping $400 would be best of all, frankly.

Steve Wolla January 11th, 2007 02:15 AM

Look for a used DV953, or 800 series. That should still use the same batteries.
However, it may be more practical, and economical to buy something like a GS180 or 280 and simply buy a couple batteries for <$50 on eBay. The cam might cost $500, plus $50 for a couple DU21 equivalent batteries.

Tom Mussatto January 11th, 2007 09:27 AM

I agree with Steve on looking for a good used 953. There are a lot of these around for $400 to $600 and you get an awful lot of cam for this money. I've had a couple of these for a few years now that get a lot of hard outdoor use and they keep on truck'n. I don't use mine for anything but acquisition so can't advise as to reliability of tape transport in continued playback, fast forwarding, and rewinding that you would probably be doing. Having a second cam that is capable of very good video as well as being able to transfer is a plus.

Wouldn't you be able to use A/C power in doing your transfers? Battery type wouldn't matter in that case.

Barry Rivadue January 11th, 2007 12:56 PM

I really appreciate the replies that I got, since at least I'm more aware now of camcorders to take note of if I ever need a new one along these lines. However, I hit upon an unexpected solution today. It pays to never toss out old equipment--I suddenly remembered that I had a long retired Canon Optura 100C in storage. Would it still work? Yes! And it does the transfers without a hitch. Oddly, I couldn't get a Panasonic AG-DV2000 deck to do the same no matter how I worked it, though it's superlative otherwise.

Thanks again for your input.

Leigh Wanstead January 11th, 2007 05:44 PM

Hi Barry,

It is good to know that you solve your problem. ;-)

Regards
Leigh