DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Using DVX100 as a digitizer for VHS tapes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/9164-using-dvx100-digitizer-vhs-tapes.html)

Craig Weinstein April 30th, 2003 10:14 PM

Using DVX100 as a digitizer for VHS tapes

Hey all,

I am trying to figure out how I can input analog video into my DVX100 for recording onto a MiniDV tape.

I checked the manual and there is a section that specifically lists how to connect and input video from external video devices (digital and analog alike) but there is absolutely no instruction on how to get the camera to record that video.

I've been able to play video from my VHS and Hi8 devices in the DVX100 but it seems unable to record any of this material onto MiniDV tape or even act as a pass-through digitizer so my Macintosh can capture what's playing in its viewfinder.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Craig Weinstein

Taro Beckwith May 3rd, 2003 03:43 AM

Connect your VHS VCR's RCA outputs to the DVX100's analog RCA inputs. Make sure your DVX100 is in VCR mode and record using the DVX100's VCR controls. That should work

David Hurdon May 3rd, 2003 07:56 AM

Using DVX100 as a digitizer for VHS tapes

I don't know your camcorder but my Sonys have a menu setting for AV-DV. Normally the camera is set for the opposite, to allow play-out to TV/VCR. This must be enabled for recording from an analogue source. Once it is, you can skip recording to DV and capture on pass-through. Unless you want to batch capture the DV tape to save drive space or for some other reason, the pass thru saves a long step.

David Hurdon

Craig Weinstein May 3rd, 2003 09:25 PM

Thanks guys.

I've done all of those things exactly as described with no luck enabling it to record from the VHS. The operating manual is no help, so I'll try fiddling with the settings in the VCR mode. Maybe I'll luck out but I feel like I've tried everything already in the VCR Mode setup menus. There has to be something I'm missing. Do I need to set timecode as free-run, for example?

Craig Weinstein

Matt Milan May 3rd, 2003 10:12 PM

The RCA connections are input and output so you can use them for both functions.

So, as stated above, plug your VCR into the RCA connections on the DVX. Then go into the "VCR" mode on the DVX. Play the VHS tape in your VCR. You should see it playing on the DVX's screen.

To record what is going into the DVX in "VCR" mode, simply press the two little round buttons on the top of the camera located above the audio +/- buttons (I don't remember the button's label but one is red and one is grey). When you press these two buttons at the same time, the DVX starts to record in "VCR" mode. So whatever you have on the screen at the time will now be recorded.

I hope that helps.

Craig Weinstein May 6th, 2003 07:02 PM

Matt,

Simple as it may sound, it was the simultaneous pressing of the gray and red buttons under "VCR Rec" that I forgot to do. Simple.

Thanks!

Craig Weinstein