DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Room 214 trailer.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/9371-room-214-trailer.html)

Ken Tanaka May 9th, 2003 12:50 AM

Emery,
Well, I suppose re-categorization from insanity to "uneducated" non-professional is something.

I hope Marc can glean some tips from your remarks.

In closing my participation in this thread I'll just say this. Whenever someone offers their work for critique by others on a relatively public venue such as this, they expose themselves to a wide variety of opinions and viewpoints. Many come from amatuers and enthusiasts. Some come from professionals, of which we have many among our membership. It's been my observation that the true working professionals here, and in every other field that I've known, offer their critiques in a cordial, constructive and encouraging style. They are secure in their own abilities and accomplishments, and take time to help others. They do not package their criticism in a fist; they package it in an outstretched hand.

My best wishes to you, Emery, and everyone else here on your current and prospective works. May we all have the opportunity to pursue our interests and visions within this field for many years to come.

Bob Benkosky May 9th, 2003 12:51 AM

Ok, man, I give up. You are right Zac. That's exactly what I was trying to do.

Personally in this day and age the "ART" aspect of film will leave you broke in the gutter my friend.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$.

If you want to go make artsy fartsy films, then be my guest, but don't expect to get paid from them.

If I have left out my main criticism.....here it is.

Reshoot the entire thing. Use more wide angles, way more movement, and better lighting, also better frame selection.

I do not pack my critisism in a fist.....it's simply the first thing that comes to my mind, which is not held back critisism. I see it, boom my initial thoughts. Of course he knows he's trying, but man, I started filming with non web sites to help me and no editing equipment. I was forced to do things that no one here has to do to make a decent looking short film or skit.

How about you trying to make credits with no computer.....well, I did it. On and old PC I had a program called Harvard Graphics, which could display simple text graphics. I faded from black onto the computer screen and then faded out. It was hard enough to get the letters straight on the screen.

And forget mixing audio in a decent way. I had to take the original video, hook it up to a small mixer, record the music from CD to tape, or tape to tape, but it had to be perfect in order to sound even halfway decent to be in cue to the movie. If I wanted sound effects, I'd have to mix them in real time as the tape was getting mixed to the other tape.

The reason I am saying this, is because I've been thru alot of trials and tribulations compared to the youngsters nowadays who think they can slam a movie out of their ass. The computer geniuses have it easy compared to how I learned so of course I'm going to be hard on them like I was on myself using no technology. Just suck it up and learn from your own mistakes.

Emery Wells May 9th, 2003 01:30 AM

Zac I completely understand where u are comming from. I certainly was never trying to flame any1, nor do i think I did. I comended his effort in my posts and still encourage him to keep creating. However, I dont think its very useful for him to hear "nice job" "good work" "cool trailer." I dont know what level hes at, but truth be told its not gonna win any oscars. I feel its more beneficial for him to hear true honest comments. I think everything i make absolutley sucks and anytime I hear negative feedback from others it only encourages me to try harder.

Bottom line, YES, its an art. No one can tell him what is right or wrong. But I also think no one can argue the fact that there are certain standards of production value that are to be met before we start wondering off into our creative minds.

-Emery

Bob Benkosky May 9th, 2003 01:37 AM

It's also true that just aiming a camera at someone shoudn't be considered art. It's the whole production of choices including music, editing pace and so forth.

He's early in the game here, so of course I think being as honest as possible is better.

Akos Szemenyei May 9th, 2003 02:31 AM

Ok, here is what I think, I agree with Ken that one should try to give constructive critsicm as much as possible so that one can learn. On the other hand, my experience is that very few people are honest about these things in the movie industry, except for the audience. So in this case I agree with Bob and Emery.

The audience don't really care wether it's your first movie shot for $10, or your 20th for $20 million, as long as the they get a good feeling and story line. As soon as you shoot a movie to tell a story, it's business, not Art, it is called Show Business, and for a reason, without the business there is no show. If the theater owner cannot sell tickets there is no income and if there is no income you cannot make your next picture, as simple as that.

I also wonder whether the people that are saying nice things actually think so or just do so because they understand how difficult it is to make a movie and therefor cut the new director some slack. The question is, will the new director learn something from it or not, my guess is not. (Of course there will always be people who happen to like that movie, whether the majority does or doesn't) Personally I would prefer an honest opinion compared to a nice one. These are still just opinions but if a lot of people think this way or that way it might be an indication to which way to go. Of course some movies have become classics years after their release, but that is a rarity.

Someone mentioned that he should reshoot I think, I don't agree with that just becuase you cannot put in the same level of enthusiasm as the first time. He definetly should release it, and see the reactions from freinds, family, fellow filmmakers and the audience. After that sit down and analyse the new information, then go out with that new experience and shoot a new movie, and hopefully it will be better.

Rob Lohman May 9th, 2003 03:58 AM

And with this I am closing this thread. It looks to me that all has
been said regarding this trailer. I was hoping Marc himself would
respond to some of the things thave have been said (if you still
want to do this Marc, send me an e-mail and I will re-open the
thread for you). Thanks for all the opinions on this "touchy"
subject!