DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic HC Series Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic HC-X1500 plug in mic power? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-hc-series-camcorders/538098-panasonic-hc-x1500-plug-mic-power.html)

Philip Lewis May 17th, 2021 12:41 PM

Panasonic HC-X1500 plug in mic power?

I can't seem to find out if the HC-X1500 has plug in power for a microphone via the 3.5mm microphone socket. I've looked in the Instruction manual download but am non the wiser. Can anyone shed any light please???

Patrick Tracy May 17th, 2021 01:55 PM

Re: Panasonic HC-X1500 plug in mic power?

The specs on B&H don't list any audio inputs. It looks like the detachable handle unit has XLR inputs with phantom power, which is way better than 3.5mm TRS with plug-in power.

Philip Lewis May 17th, 2021 02:13 PM

It has the 3.5mm jack for use when the handle is detached - but no mention if the jack has power for mics which can use auto start.

Paul R Johnson May 17th, 2021 02:31 PM

If it's a condenser intended for the 3.5mm input - it wouldn't work without power, would it? Not much point in the socket?

Philip Lewis May 18th, 2021 01:06 AM

Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say. What I am trying to say is that condenser microphones require power, either from their own battery or via plug-in power from the camera/camcorder via the mic socket. What I am asking is, can the HC-X1500 supply that power via the mic socket meaning that no batteries are needed inside the microphone.

Paul R Johnson May 18th, 2021 04:24 AM

If a camera has a 3.5mm socket for a microphone - the vast majority of 3.5mm connector equipped mics do NOT have battery power. So putting a 3.5mm socket on a piece of media equipment that doesn't have hot power available would mean huge numbers of customers being unhappy - my logic therefore is that the probability is high it does, as the 3.5mm hot power for mics is virtually a standard.

Graham Laws May 22nd, 2021 01:04 AM

I use the Rode Stereomic X with the X1500. If I try to use the 3.5mm socket without the Rode having a battery in it, the label "Invalid" appears for a few seconds in the X1500's screen and it reverts to using the internal microphone. I bought the handle some time ago when it was on offer, and since then have used the Rode on 48v phantom supply from the X1500 (via XLR leads) and the sound is superior. For run-and-gun, or when the camcorder's presence must be discrete, I use the internal mic which is fine as long as there's no wind blowing.

Graham Laws May 22nd, 2021 05:26 AM

Further to the above. I notice in the manual that the recommended Panasonic microphone is the VW-VMS10PP. Looking at the spec of this on Panasonic's site it says it "Connects to camcorder stereo-mini microphone input with plug-in power support". That seems to suggest to me that for small microphones (non-condenser obviously) there is sufficient current at the 3.5mm connection to drive the microphone.

Paul R Johnson May 22nd, 2021 09:51 AM

Good Call! Job done.

Philip Lewis May 23rd, 2021 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Laws (Post 1965061)
Further to the above. I notice in the manual that the recommended Panasonic microphone is the VW-VMS10PP. Looking at the spec of this on Panasonic's site it says it "Connects to camcorder stereo-mini microphone input with plug-in power support". That seems to suggest to me that for small microphones (non-condenser obviously) there is sufficient current at the 3.5mm connection to drive the microphone.

Thanks to all. I note that the VW-VMS10PP does not seem to be available in the UK however a version called the VW-VMS 10-EK is. Hopefully it's the same mic however the PP suffix may represent Plug in Power so why is this changed to -EK? It's all very confusing...https://www.wexphotovideo.com/panaso...&utm_source=aw

Paul R Johnson May 23rd, 2021 03:01 AM

Uk black products often get k suffixes and s for silver. I don’t think the pp is pluginpower, as it could be up for hot power, or dc for direct current, all descriptors for non-phantom power systems superimposed on the audio.

Forgive me, but are you looking for reasons to think the camera can’t do it? Do you have the camera? If so, just pop a meter on it? I’m confused now by your concern? Your concern over the evidence collected seems OTT? Are you thinking of getting the camera? Do you have it and are thinking of getting a mic, or what? If you have it, measure the voltage. If you haven’t bought it, and have a mic that you want to use, then buy it with the proviso that it must have powering fir your mic and then return it? I’m confused?

Graham Laws May 23rd, 2021 06:23 AM

OK. It seems you are still nervous about this. My recommendation therefore would be to go here :-
https://support-uk.panasonic.eu/app/home
and use the Chat function to get right to the source. Put the ball in their court. That's what they are there for.

Philip Lewis May 24th, 2021 12:27 AM

No, I'm not nervous and since my medication was upped the voices don't bother me much either. I don't yet have the camera. I am awaiting an insurance claim settlement on the HC-X1000 which was damaged in a car smash. I have three pro xlr mics but would prefer not to have use the optional handle of the 1500. I also have several self-powered shoe mounted mics but occasionally have either not turned them on or forgotten to turn them off in tandem with the camera which equals no audio or a flat battery. So I wanted a decent shoe mounted mic that turned on and off with the camera. I have a colleague with an older Sony camera which has it's dedicated shoe mount mic that also supplies power along with the audio via the shoe. I was hoping for similar for the Panasonic 1500. Obviously a cold shoe cannot supply any power/audio so on/off power via the mic cord is the next best thing. Must go now the nurse is calling me for my injection......

Paul R Johnson May 24th, 2021 01:31 AM

If you like the camera, buy it! You've had the opinions.

Like everything else irrespective of the comment from Panasonic - who will be reading EXACTLY the same internet documents as we have done in their office - the question is a two parter. Does it have hot power? and does your microphone that needs it, expect it differently? Is your mic a stereo mic? Does it expect the polarising voltage on the tip, or the ring, or if it's mono, will the sleeve and the ring being shorted remove the hot power? Who knows? Certainly not Panasonic who cannot give any more than a general answer. If you ask them if the XXX camera will work with a ZZZ microphone that they make and have in stock to test you won't get a 100% absolute answer. I doubt they will be able to assemble the two units to actually test so their answer is a guess too.

Surely you just order the camera, plug your mic in and test. If it doesn't work, then you establish the presence of the 5V, and which pin it is on, and then make your mic work by changing the connections? If your mic needs 5V on the tip, and the camera provides 5V on the ring - swap the wires in a new plug, or bodge an adaptor?

We have established the camera has a stereo mic input I think. We have found a Panasonic microphone that says it is compatible with the model, bar a suffix letter, which may/may not be a country code. How much further can anyone go? Just buy the camera and if you are unlucky with your existing mic, just buy a new one!

Graham Laws May 24th, 2021 11:20 AM

Love the reply Philip. I share your frustration that some mics/connections have to be individually turned on/off. In this day and age it's an unforgivable design error if that still happens.
That Panasonic mic is still available from Wex according to their website.
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/panaso...&utm_source=aw
also Bristol Cameras. I'd still be tempted to ask Panasonic directly to be absolutely sure before committing.

The nurse called me for my second injection the other day ...