DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH1 Feature film grabs (Anamorphic, 40Mbps hack) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/486023-gh1-feature-film-grabs-anamorphic-40mbps-hack.html)

Ryan Glover October 12th, 2010 09:19 AM

GH1 Feature film grabs (Anamorphic, 40Mbps hack)

8 Attachment(s)
We've been working on our first feature film 'Hills Green' since the middle of September and I finally got around to exporting a few stills. We're shooting with a 40Mbps hack setting, the Hot Rod PL mount and lomo anamorphic lenses.

We have a little production journal here: HILLS GREEN

Attachments are jpeg's with some quick cc and some texture added;

Ryan Glover October 12th, 2010 09:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Continued;

Thanks for looking! Any comments or questions, let me know.

Adrian Frearson October 14th, 2010 05:26 AM

Some lovely looking shots Ryan, that sky at the end there is just wow!

Ryan Glover October 14th, 2010 07:58 AM

Thanks for checking them out Adrian!

Sami Sanpakkila October 14th, 2010 09:29 AM

Looks really great! What do you cc on and what kind of texture did you add?

Sami

Ryan Glover October 14th, 2010 11:07 AM

Thanks for looking Sami.

These were exported as TIFF's from Final Cut Pro, then in Photoshop they were quickly graded and some film grain was added.

Christopher Ruffell October 14th, 2010 03:39 PM

Looks fantastic Ryan - those wide shots in the sun especially!

Ryan Glover October 15th, 2010 07:52 AM

Thanks Christopher!

Aaron Courtney October 15th, 2010 12:53 PM

I don't see any banding in these, LOL. what has been your highest iso?

Ryan Glover October 15th, 2010 02:03 PM

Most of the film was shot outside at 100 ISO. We never went above 320.. even our 'dark' shots were shot in ample light, which let us avoid alot of the fixed pattern noise.

Christopher Ruffell October 18th, 2010 02:00 PM

Aaron, I'm not surprised to see banding.. I only start to see banding (only once the footage is imported and I'm looking on a high-quality screen) for GH1 footage when I go over 9000+ ISO.

Ryan, great looking footage here - those lenses are tremendous - would love to get input from a full-time Pro D.P. on how good it looks!

Ryan Glover October 22nd, 2010 09:52 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Thanks again everyone for checking them out. We are done the majority of the shooting and are prepping to start the edit soon.

Here is a few more images from our last two days;

Ryan Glover November 27th, 2010 10:39 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Still shooting this beast! Two scenes to go.

Here's a few more grabs for those that are interested.

Thanks for looking!

Noah Yuan-Vogel December 5th, 2010 11:05 PM

some nice looking shots! so youre shooting 2.66:1 aspect using 1.5x anamorphics? how are you unsqueezing for monitoring? must be interesting getting used to 2.66:1 since its not used a lot these days, whats it like? are you protecting for any other aspect ratios? hows the gh13 treating you?

Ryan Glover December 6th, 2010 12:01 PM

Hey Noah, thanks for checking them out. Acutually we're using a set of 2x anamorphics and trimming the edges. I just like the look of 2.66:1. Reygadas' Japon was 2.66:1 (16mm @ 1.33:1 with 2x anamorphics) and it's a film I really admire. Our shots are framed so that they will work well enough in 2.4:1 too though, if we decide to go the more traditional route.

We had to shoot the film with only the gh1's monitor masked to 1.33:1 and with the image stretched tall by the scope lenses, quite the headache!

But, overall I think the GH13 did really well on the shoot.